Will USA visa rejection be a problem when applying for NZ visitor visa?

Sach.S

I am planning to visit New Zealand during August 2011 for tourist purposes. My main purposes are to see a TriNations game between New Zealand vs Australia and also to see a couple of friends.

I am currently a Sri Lankan living in Japan working as a Software Engineer for a Japanese company. I earn a fairly good salary (> US$ 50,000/year), got sufficient funds to support myself during my stay in NZ, and I also have work commitments here in Japan until March 2012. So, on paper at least, I'm pretty confident that I should be able to obtain a visa.

However, I applied for a visitor visa to USA around October 2011 and was rejected. The reason given by the visa office was "I did not have good enough ties outside of United States" or in other words that they are not confident that I'd return.

Now, in the NZ visitor visa application there is a question asking whether I was refused any kind of visa to any other country before. I am wondering at the moment that whether will this be a disadvantage for me. And would it be possible for me to not state my visa rejection from USA?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am planning to visit New Zealand during August 2011 for tourist purposes. My main purposes are to see a TriNations game between New Zealand vs Australia and also to see a couple of friends.

I am currently a Sri Lankan living in Japan working as a Software Engineer for a Japanese company. I earn a fairly good salary (> US$ 50,000/year), got sufficient funds to support myself during my stay in NZ, and I also have work commitments here in Japan until March 2012. So, on paper at least, I'm pretty confident that I should be able to obtain a visa.

However, I applied for a visitor visa to USA around October 2011 and was rejected. The reason given by the visa office was "I did not have good enough ties outside of United States" or in other words that they are not confident that I'd return.

Now, in the NZ visitor visa application there is a question asking whether I was refused any kind of visa to any other country before. I am wondering at the moment that whether will this be a disadvantage for me. And would it be possible for me to not state my visa rejection from USA?

NZ is hungry for the tourist money. The U.S. refusal is not a big deal. The U.S refuses so many because it is the biggest draw for overstays (too big to track them down and easily deport them). Smaller countries can track visitors easier and eject them quicker for overstaying.

Hello friends,

I know this is an old thread but I am facing the same dilemma. I was refused a US visa for the exact same reason. Should I report that in the New Zealand visa application or not? No mention of the US Visa is there on my passport but it would have been saved by them electronically. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Santosh