Why do people get so exited about having US citizenship and feel proud of their new..

For me, becoming a USC concluded a long and stressful immigration journey. While there are definitely advantages to having a US passport, my UK passport also provides for visa-free entry to a wide number of foreign locations, so that alone was obviously not the reason.

I guess I could best sum it up as follows:
- the US is my adopted home, and has been for the past 10 years
- I want to be able to have a say how the country is run. One vote doesn't count for much, but having no vote counts for nothing.
- I like to travel, and now I can do so without worrying about continuous residence laws, or whether I will be given a hard time when returning.
- inheritance tax laws are better if you are a USC. I don't plan on dying any time soon, but you never know...

There is probably a lot more I could say, but I guess it'd be pretty boring. Everyone has their own thoughts on why citizenship is important to them (or not).

Good to read this nice, civil, level-headed discussion on the subject!!

I am from India. I am happy and comfortable with the identity that comes from it. Are there problems in India and with India? Yes! I am not too happy with the rampant corruption in that society, the corrupt politicians and administrators, and the unclean and dirty toilets :). But that country has given the world Sanathana Dharma (Hinduism), the eternal wisdom of the Vedas, and so many other things. On the whole, I am proud of the hoary heritage, and the rumbunctious democracy practiced in India.

Having said that, this country (USA) practices what I believe to be democracy at its best. Individual rights (even after the post-9/11 compromises) are supreme. Sure, everyone knows I am Indian when I open my mouth - but I am not disrespected for that (at least not on my face). I can practise my faith openly and without fear. I can build my career and business and expect the government to help me. My daughter can aspire to go to the best schools in the country - and be able to afford it. When I get my citizenship, I can exercise my franchise (vote) without fear or favor, travel to 90% of the world without the hazzle of checks and visas, and be assured that the country will protect me when I am travelling. Are there problems with this country? - heck, Yes - but on the whole, we can all be proud of this country.

I am proud and happy where I come from, and I am proud and happy where I am now. After all, it is a state of mind.

I think your question about people can say I am a proud Citizen and the reason why one become US citizen has been lost in current times. A few years back you having the US citizenship was a reason of celebrate.

I am really a proud US Citizen. I always dreamt of being a US citizen. I love this country since I was a child. Some people say "Immigration is the sincerest form of flattery"

My father in law was from another country (I am talking about my original country) and he never opted to become a citizen from my old country. He never imagined to loose his citizenship for one moment. He was old fashion and I understood his position.

Many opted for the US citizenship for monetary reason, convenience, etc. I decided to become one since I was a kid. I went to my old country to buried my mother in law and I traveled with my US Passport only. I stopped at the immigration booth asking to get a visitor visit and I was denied because they told me I still have my old citizenship.
I was in shock, I don't want it but I still have it. ( I will follow a procedure to renounce my old citizenship.)

I don't care if Americans ask me where I am from. I don't care if they don't see me as equal. That happens even in your own country. Each country has its particular way of discrimination, some have casts, race, religion, tribes, etc. My old country discriminate based in monetary status.

What really matters is how do you feel. Your state of mind.
I can only say "I am a proud America".....

Proud to be an American!

Why do we feel proud? It’s not a simple question to answer.
As a teacher and working for a public school, I was asked to recite the Pledge of Allegiance everyday in my classroom. Before I became an American I didn’t see the use of doing so. But once I became a citizen, I felt proud and for the first time I had the feeling of belonging.
America is a land of opportunities; it is no excuse for not achieving your dreams. With no money and two years of college, I was able to get my Bachelors and my Masters degree. Last year, I was nominated the “Teacher of the Year” after working only three years in the school!! I was nominated by the parents, the school committee and fellow teachers; they were all Americans!! They didn’t care about my origins, religion, culture or accent they nominated me because I gave my 100% and cared about the students.
Can anybody in this forum tell me where in the world you can achieve what I've achieved with no money, no connections or social status?

Last edited by a moderator:
JELEXY .... since you made this speach and started this about facts that some of us might not even agree on.
Since you are on this Board here you "must" be applying for citizenship .. so just out of curiousity ... what is your reason for applying if you did ?

It's a personal business of every applicants and everyone has own motives. As for pride - it's simple. Pride citizen is a person who loves his country. I see no reason why new immigrant may not love this country. It has nothing to do with neither your accent nor what whoever think of you. Most important is what you feel. If someone don't - it's not mandatory and they could continue stay on GC. Perhaps, they should consider possibility that thy choose wrong train. My personal 2 cents.

I can perfectly understand why being a US citizen is a matter of GREAT pride to people especially from developing and poor countries because when these people travel back to their home countries, they are given a red-carpet treatment or they get treatment as if these people come back from a heaven. It's all about America being the superpower and financially dominated for many decades in most parts...

However, what I don't understand is why European people feel the same especially people from England, Germany and many Western European countries....I've been to Germany, England and many countries in the Europe and have spent many months at a time and found that these countries are a lot better than the US especially when it comes to having more and better economy, cleaner and opportunities. I absolutely love Germany and England.

Nevertheless, there is no doubt that America still remains the beacon for freedom and opportunity. In my opinion, people should be proud of both-their mother country (or where they came from) and their adoped country (America) unless they are from Cuba or other countries where human rights is a big factor along with big corruption in the govt.

The reason I initially applied for a USC was just to get away from the irritation of being questioned how long one was gone by the Immigration and the fact that I had to "register" my address etc. I had no other reasons to file for USC. No one to sponsor (my extended family are all in the US), I can travel anywhere on my Australian Passport and would never want a "pay cut" to take up a federal government job:).

That said, as I went through the naturalization ceremony I felt very connected and sensed a surge of patriotism for the US. Ever since, I have felt a sense of belongingness and pride in being American.

I do not have an American accent, but have never thought it an issue since most people can understand me easily. I never feel offended if anyone asks my origins. I am proud of it and one can be an American and also have a pride in your own origins. People are from diverse backgrounds and often tell about their own origins and I really appreciate the diversity in this country. I have never felt discriminated in this country and have very close relationships with the native born people. I never restrict my friend circle to those from my own country because that would severly restric me from socializing with the large number of great local people.

Having made this country my home I am proud to be a citizen and would like to participate in the elections and everything that it offers.

Please remember that the reason for a US born person only for the President, was brought in at a time when there was huge suspicsion that UK would put up a trojan candidate and re-take the US. I never aspired for that post, and so I don't lament one bit that this opportunity is not available to me:)

Why do people get so exited about having US citizenship and feel proud of their new status?

Be honest and answer the question. Here is my take on the subject
Foreign born People want the usa citizenship roughly for the following reasons.
1.Traveling, using the us passport will be much less stressful (no visa for most western European countries and a few other)

2. for employment purpose with in a us government organization

The following fact will remain true regardless of whether you acquired a new citizenship or not.
You will always be looked at as an outsider.
You still gone have your foreign accent and because of your hard accent, Americans will always ask you where do you originally come from? unless of course you come to the state at a young age and don’t have different accent …in that case the question will be about your parents not you.
You will always look for your background culture to associate with (Indian, Morocco, turkey, Iranian , African, chines etc), this is due to that fact that you can’t intermingle with people who were born in the USA ..ahhh that strong accent again!!
I can see that acquiring a us citizenship can have some benefit as describe above, but what I can’t understand is some people uttering a word such as “proud American” really? Do Americans see it that way too!!

Well, many of the Asian economies are catching up fast. China will overtake the US in our lifetime as the largest economy in the world. India is growing rapidly too, albeit from a far lower base line. I travel to China every year and did not sense a desire to immigrate to the US. Young people have multiple job offers when they graduate. I see more westerners living in these countries for the opportunities they offer. India though has a long way to go and has vast populations in dire poverty and the development has been uneven. However with the large number of Engineers these countries produce it is clear that the next century belongs to them.

I can perfectly understand why being a US citizen is a matter of GREAT pride to people especially from developing and poor countries because when these people travel back to their home countries, they are given a red-carpet treatment or they get treatment as if these people come back from a heaven. It's all about America being the superpower and financially dominated for many decades in most parts...

However, what I don't understand is why European people feel the same especially people from England, Germany and many Western European countries....I've been to Germany, England and many countries in the Europe and have spent many months at a time and found that these countries are a lot better than the US especially when it comes to having more and better economy, cleaner and opportunities. I absolutely love Germany and England.

Ok, I'm English, newly dual-citizen and have to say that I don't feel proud to be an American, but then I don't feel proud to be English - we are mostly born with little to zero patriotism (outside football and rugby).

Why did I apply? Largely commitment to my adopted home- after 10 years, it seemed the right thing to do - and my (US) wife. Increased job opportunity is a big draw - yea, now I can apply for aerospace jobs that require citizenship - and my almost daily immigration inspection on the way to work is a lot easier as a citizen. I can already travel most everywhere on my EU passport so I think one of the biggest reasons to be a citizen that I've read on here is not that important to me.

Sorry if my reasons may feel undeserving to some of you, but we all have our reasons.

Tangodancer .... there is no reason to say the word "undeserving". Like you said we all have our reasons why we take this big step in our lives.
We shouldn't judge others for their decision no matter what it might be. Traveling, Pride, having a little more rights such as voting or to ontain a government job.
If there is someone who has been a LPR for a decade or even longer and there is a job oppertunity which "requires" US Citizenship I would do it just for that reason.
What eerks me on this debate is the word pride. I personally feel Jelexy made a personal attack against the ones that do feel pride to be or to become an american because this is a great country to them.
I personally felt judged by him/her and when I called him out on him there still has been no response. Did he/she do it to stir things up, to let some anger out or what ?
I just really would like to know his/her reason

No attack,

I find the question very legit.

But then as always, it's a matter of how one percieves the word "pride". For me, it has to do a lot with historical facts as well as how a country as a whole cares for it's own citizens etc.

To be proud of something, this something needs to be more then just "special". Perhaps it's that in the US, words like "proud" are used a little to frequently. Just look at the bumper stickers.

It's the same with the flag. I still don't understand why the largest flag has to fly over a car dealership. Pride and patriotism isn't shown by the many flags you fly, but by the action taken and displayed.

A flag as a symbol of pride becomes less relevant the more it is displayed "just because".

The more understated a display of pride is, the more relevant it becomes to me.

I think it's a question of measured restraint. The more I see flags on cars that are worn out, sun bleeched stickers on cars, the less I take it as a serious commitment. It becomes more irrelevant as the "special" and "extraordinary" care one should take in displaying ones pride gets washed down and thus makes it a farce.

Remember, if you put your pride on "display" you better live up to high standards.

Remember, if you put your pride on "display" you better live up to high standards.

There is no need to put it on display !!! Pride is a feeling, your own feeling !

Just alone standing up for the national anthem and removing your hat is showing pride and respect and I think that shows it enough !

True Lady,

but the original question was "why it has to be put on dispay" i.e. here in signatures.
If there is the special moment/occasion - of course! If it is "just because". Not so sure it's the right place.

That was the question. Perfectly legit and perfectly without insult or attack.

Nevertheless, there is no doubt that America still remains the beacon for freedom and opportunity. In my opinion, people should be proud of both-their mother country (or where they came from) and their adoped country (America) unless they are from Cuba or other countries where human rights is a big factor along with big corruption in the govt.

If Europe was that good why immigrants don't settle there? I lived in France for 6 years; prejudice and racism prevail in that part of the world. You are really considered a second class citizen, even for first generation of immigrants. An example, you can be the most accomplished person you can be but when it comes to job and if you name happened to be Mohammed your chances of getting that job are so slim. I heard personally from one of the recruiters in France that he didn't even have to open the resume as soon as he saw an Arabic or African name on the envelope he tossed it in the garbage!!!

sobelle,

that's just that. Most EU countries expect more integration than the US does.
A very basic fact. They simply expect much more integration with their "way of life" then the US.

Whilst this doesn't make it easy for anyone to migrate there, it's perfectly their right to expect that.

That's part of their understanding of national identity.

I am not judging it, merely stating the obvious.

If Europe was that good why immigrants don't settle there?

The thing is that they do. I know in Germany at least and they get good "benefits" without doing anything. At least that is how it was 7 years ago. Immigrants weren't required to work for 2 years and got apartments and stuff paid by Germany. Like I said though .. this was 7 years ago.

I am not proud of Germany anymore. And that is because of hearsay. My mother who worked there for more than 3/4 of her life and lost her job due to an accident struggles more than someone who immigrated there.

I think also that ever since the Euro took over and I am glad I wasn't there for that things are just going down hill from there.

We were never considered lower class, more middle but NOW ... my mother and sister are considered lower class and that is to bad

Are you inferring that Mr. "Mohammed" whose resume was supposedly tossed in to the garbage bin needs to change his religeon to be considered as having successfully integrated and to the European "way of life"? Because there is not much more an immigrant to Europe could do.

I think the level of belongingness that an immigrant to the US feels is much more than for immigrants to any other country. Large parts of the European immigrants are going to be long term powder keg and we have seen what has happened in Europe. More fundamentalist plots have been hatched in Europe recently than in the US and clearly dissaffected young second generation immigrants are an important factor in that.

I had posted in my naturalization experience (in the MN thread) that the Judge adminstering the oath specifically said a frenchman immigrating to Germany and who naturalizes will never become a German but always be called a French, unlike the US you can be of any nationality, religeon but will be accepted as a fellow American.

I don't know if the higher expectation of "integration" required in Europe is a subtle form of racism, but that would definitely take away the "pride" in naturalizing.

BTW, I remember Germany did not allow naturalization of even 3rd generation turks. Has that changed and if so when? My understanding was that one had to be born to a "German" mother in order to become a German citizen? Or am I a few decades behind in catching up to the news?
sobelle,

that's just that. Most EU countries expect more integration than the US does.
A very basic fact. They simply expect much more integration with their "way of life" then the US.

Whilst this doesn't make it easy for anyone to migrate there, it's perfectly their right to expect that.

That's part of their understanding of national identity.

I am not judging it, merely stating the obvious.

Last edited by a moderator: