Why did you apply for Citizenship. Top 3 reasons please !!

1. To be part of the greatest democracy on Earth
2. Freedom of expression
3. Justice - ask all those who have taken asylum in the US
4. land of opportunity - i guess that's why most of us are here
-- to list a few

I am a runner. I want to compete for the U.S. to complete the full circle. On a selfish note, this will also enable me to win US prize money.

:mad: Perhaps you should ask this person... :mad:

One question that is worth addressing in this thread is whether or not there was at any time a reason leading you to have second thought about becoming a USC!

For me, the dreaded possibility of serving in a jury, particularly one that let a criminal free or worse convict an innocent man!!!

I have been in this country for 11+ years with minimal amount of traveling abroad. With families, kids, job, limited assets I have accumulated over the years, and the lifestyle I have developed all rooted in this country, it just feels like home. I think to formally accept this country as my new home is some sort of "closure" at least in my imagination. I had a degree and worked professionally for 10+ years in my native country before coming to the US with a student visa. While I know the US system is far from being perfect, in my experience it's a better system that works better for me. Being more involved (and yes being able to vote) does make me feel less like someone who is "irrelavent" to any country. Being not political at all myself though, I enjoy the lifestyle I can have in the US much more, which is an important reason why I feel I am part of this land. Granted, things are changing. We may see a new order of the world in a decade or even sooner, but who says one must be a citizen of the most powerful country to be successful or happy? It's a personal choice. If you feel like it do it.

Practically, I am not sure what benifits I care so much by becoming a citizen. I guess I want to have the option of working for the government in certain areas that need clearance. I can use the visa-free travel convinience too.

1. Wanted to have a common citizenship with my wife
2. Wanted to vote
3. Wanted a second blue passport to sandwich my green passport :)

you are wrong mh66ii if you are going to be US citizen why worry about wrong place wrong time.

Don't you have confidence in US courts or us govt???????
Not 100%.How many people kept in jail and many years later released as a innocent? Or many of them executed and 6 feet under then government says OOPS. I don't trust any government, but if you compare diffrent governments with each other then we can discuss that which one is doing better job than other.

1. to no longer just be a paying member but actually become a full and voting member of society. As sanjoseaug20 elaborated in #40, here in the US (as in all other countries I've lived so far), not everything is perfect. I'd rather be in a position where I think I can shape my community's future (even if it might be just another illusion...)

2. to complement the above: I prefer to also commit myself to my current home country. Taking the effort to go through the N400 process, taking the oath, jury duties etc are some manifestations.

3. regaining control and decision where I prefer to live and for how long. Even though I have no intention to emigrate from the US anytime soon, having the liberty to decide is important to me. The prospect that the upcoming interaction with DHS/USCIS bureaucracy in the next 3-5 months will be my last is indeed a very uplifting concept (and I was so far fortunate enough to not have to go through the absurd USCIS hoops and red tape as others had to deal with in their GC history)

Happy New Year!!

How come so many of us decided to be citizens, honestly, difference between and GC and citizenship is not much other than the voting rights and not being able to work as Fed employee,(visa's and travelling, inconvenience yes, but not a deal breaker I may say) the applications for citizenship increased by ten fold after 2001, is it the problems we started to see as non-citizens or "I want to be an American" sentiment is real and true.

For me I believe in the "Bill of rights" and happiness I feel when I come back from a trip overseas, which tells me this is my home for better or worse.....its been for better and hope it stays that way.

i became citize because:

1- i want to be part of this greatest country on the face of the earth
2- i like to vote republican
3- travel freely without visa hassels

happy new year

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus you can sponsor your direct family members (mother/father, brother/ sister, wife/husband, etc) for LPR status ..You may not need it today, but it may become handy in future if you decided to re-unite the family fropm the country of your origin in US

Also, besides convenience with obtaining travel visitor visa (foreign consulates are usually more flexible for granting extened period visa for USC than LPR)* OR no need for visa ( all EU, many Asian, African and South American countries), having US passport provides you with more protection .If there is an accident (innocent arrest, medical emergency , etc) at non-US location, you will be entitled to full US Consular help and support.

Let each person decide why he want to apply for citizenship for himself. It does not matter whether his reason is right or not as long as he himself think his reason is right. If Person A think he can be safe from deportation due to criminal activities, that is his judgement. He does not need Person B to ask
"why would a good p[erson commit a crime?". The same rational for other reasons. We don't live in a ideal world. If the world were ideal, there should not be this citizenship anyway. There must be practical reasons why people
do this or that and sentimental reasons are actually based upon practical reasons. If there is no pragmatical benefits associated with citizenship, not many people would not seek it and many natual born citizens would want to
get rid of it. It is just as simpel as that.

"Why do you want to be a US citizen" is not a question on the N400 form so any reason is justified. And if any reason is not good reason and the applicant
with such reason is to be denied for his application, that is the problem between USCIS and this particular applicant and none of the business of any other applicants.

Examples? You claim a lot of innocent people get caught in such a situation - how many people have been convicted of manslaughter when no one died?

Many people want insurance and peace of mind. For the same reason
people buy life insurance for his family. No one who is still young and
middled aged can guiarantee he will live to a very old ripe age even the
life expectancy is now in 80s.

You are ignoring the fact that people get charged and sometimes convicted of crimes they didn't commit. Not to mention circumstances beyond one's control that can make it much more difficult for a permanent resident to reenter the US than a citizen who faced the same circumstances.

It is also important for PRs who came to teh USA at very young age and grew up here. If so many president and ex-presidents did things like
smoking pots, taking drugs etc in their yong ages that would deem them
deportable had they not been citizens, how can one expect ordinary peopple
to be saints? Many survey indicate majority of Americans once smoked pot
at least once in their life I can not expect noncitizens to be anything much better.

"Why do you want to be a US citizen" is not a question on the N400 form so any reason is justified. And if any reason is not good reason and the applicant
with such reason is to be denied for his application, that is the problem between USCIS and this particular applicant and none of the business of any other applicants.

I see this particular thread as a helper to people who are undecided. Maybe this should become a sticky thread. No one in CIS is asking why we are becoming citizen, and while there are 100 websites extolling the benefits of becoming a citizen, personal experiences (unlike someone just saying "2B american" repeatedly) can help others clarify their thoughts and nudge them one way or the other.

I see this particular thread as a helper to people who are undecided. Maybe this should become a sticky thread. No one in CIS is asking why we are becoming citizen, and while there are 100 websites extolling the benefits of becoming a citizen, personal experiences (unlike someone just saying "2B american" repeatedly) can help others clarify their thoughts and nudge them one way or the other.

The most practical benefit is that as a citizen, the right to permanent residence is really guaranteeed without or almost without risk. Many
people may think this is relevant but you can argue any reason is
irrelevant. For example, others may say as citizens they can vote while
others say they do not vote anyway and even if tehy vote, as one invidividal one vote does not make any difference.

If you travel overseas, you will need to go thru a lof trouble if you lose your wallter with your GC in it. But as a citizen, you can simply
walk into any American embassy/consu;late for help if you lose passport/GC.

If you think all such events have very small probablity, then you
will not think even one good reason why citizenship is needed. Of course
you can argue for sentimental reasons, but let's get real. sentimental reasons
are meaningless unless they are based on some tangible benefits.

I HAVE WORKED, LIVED and EXPERIENCED for years in
1. SOUTH EAST ASIA
2. SOUTH ASIA
3. EUROPE
4. USA

I have found this place is the RIGHT place for the people love democracy and freedom.

Be proud to be a US citizen - a country of immigrants came in search of freedom and opportunities. Be loyal to USA and respect the constituition to become US citizen.

1) I love this country and want to be part of it ( pretty much grew up here)
2) I want the U.S passport
3) I want to vote
4) May need it for future employment