• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Which part the of states all you winners mostly settle in?

Happiest cities in America... quick glance down it seems like you pay for that happiness in property prices in a number of these though!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ed-states/happiest-cities-united-states-2017/

Personal experience has since taught me happiness is subjective.

Back in the late 80s when hubby and I decided to immigrate to Canada, we based the decision on where to live on Mercer reports, (considering we had never even been to any part of Canada before) which consistently ranked Vancouver and Switzerland as tied for number one as the best place to live in the world. We figured one couldn’t go wrong with such a reputable report. Well, we soon found out shortly after landing, Vancouver wasn’t quite the right city for us considering we both worked in the oil and gas industry and had plans of continuing our careers with one of the major oil and gas companies, none of which was based in Vancouver.

Earning enough to pay our bills and still have substantial savings to do whatever else we needed to do while working at jobs we hated day in, day out wasn’t enough for us to find our happiness in the city for the 4 years we spent in the BC province.

Personal experience has since taught me happiness is subjective.

Agree totally. While I can see objectively for example why Boulder is at #1, it wouldn’t be somewhere I personally could be happy living.

I did think the list was interesting though, especially as most of the other lists that come up give a huge weight to housing affordability- which is important of course, but in a way unfairly prejudices more expensive cities, which are usually expensive precisely because they have vibrant jobs markets and many attractive lifestyle elements.

Settled in and started new job. Made the permanent move on 01/12/2017 and got a job in two weeks in my field.Wonderful place apart from traffic and non stop rain.

Settled in and started new job. Made the permanent move on 01/12/2017 and got a job in two weeks in my field.Wonderful place apart from traffic and non stop rain.

Where did you end up?
Happy to hear it’s all going well!

Glad to know you made the final move and living the dream :)

SusieQQQ: Seattle, Washington.

that's where I'm planning to move if I'm lucky to get a visa, since I have family there. Although most jobs in my field are concentrated in Detroit Metro and the deep south, so at the end one can never really choose.

We're in Charlotte, NC.

Quite a few Aussie DV-ers end up here: low cost of living (going up now that Charlotte is booming) but high wages thanks to the Fortune 500s located here. Plus there's the Research Triangle in Raleigh / Durham / NC State.
Thinking of settling in NC myself @EmilyW provided I get the IV of course. Is the job market still positive out there? Have friends in Fayetteville who’ve asked me to check NC out.

Told Seattle can be expensive to live at though.

Really? I know a few people who’ve moved there from the Bay Area because it’s cheaper! Everything’s relative! Jobs seem plentiful in Seattle too for what I can figure out.
....Almost certainly not as cheap as NC though. I have friends currently advertising to rent out their house near Ft Bragg, asking rental is probably a quarter of what same size would get where I am (not sure how well situated that house is for non-military jobs though). Going somewhere that you know people always helps, assuming you can get work there. Let us know where you end up!

Really? I know a few people who’ve moved there from the Bay Area because it’s cheaper! Everything’s relative! Jobs seem plentiful in Seattle too for what I can figure out.
....Almost certainly not as cheap as NC though. I have friends currently advertising to rent out their house near Ft Bragg, asking rental is probably a quarter of what same size would get where I am (not sure how well situated that house is for non-military jobs though). Going somewhere that you know people always helps, assuming you can get work there. Let us know where you end up!
Thanks @SusieQQQ ! Will be sure to post my final destination after my interview in March;)

We're planning to settle in Las Vegas, NV. We're excited for the sun, dry climate, and literally ENDLESS road tripping possibilities from such a central Southwestern location. :)

Living expenses bit on the the expensive side. Especially the rent!! housing market is off the scale!. But really good paying jobs and Amazon hiring almost 30000 new jobs. Also to mention MS,Google,Facebook, Expedia, Boeing, Nintendo to name a few. Quite a few Aussies settled here.

Thinking of settling in NC myself @EmilyW provided I get the IV of course. Is the job market still positive out there? Have friends in Fayetteville who’ve asked me to check NC out.

Job market is good here. I took maybe three weeks to get my first lot of interviews, and had my first offers within five. Lots of Fortune 50 (I work for a Fortune 40) which results in high salaries.

What is like to live in chicago? Everybody talking about SF, NYC, Raleigh, Seattle and so on,...but never read any comment on chicago? I heard crime is high, the climate is aweful, and property taxes are oppressive,...but it's the closest thing to NYC, many available jobs and relatively affordable cost of living.