which option is better after being laid off

Generally, you don't have an 'option'. If you are laid off and not enrolled in any school, you MUST either leave US or immediately file for B2 (i-539).

Only if you are either actively enrolled, or about to start in the next week or so, can you go for f1.

The best option of course, is to file for B2 and then find another TN job.

Thanks.

Is it easy to get B2?
If I get another job while on B2, do I need to cross the border to transfer to TN?

Generally, you don't have an 'option'. If you are laid off and not enrolled in any school, you MUST either leave US or immediately file for B2 (i-539).

Only if you are either actively enrolled, or about to start in the next week or so, can you go for f1.

The best option of course, is to file for B2 and then find another TN job.

Getting B2 (by filing I-539) is as easy as falling down. (i'm feeling metaphorical today)

Of course, you must then change back to TN to resume working.

Is changing back to TN as easy as falling down once I have a sponsor? Can I change from B2 to TN inside the US?

I like your metaphors. :)

Getting B2 (by filing I-539) is as easy as falling down. (i'm feeling metaphorical today)

Of course, you must then change back to TN to resume working.

In fact you must do this from within US, by mail, by -- as I have said TWICE -- filing I-539.

Since you've lived in USso long, it would be unlikley that you could go to the border and be re-admitted on B2, since this requires maintaining a foreign home and evidence that you will return there. You would likely be stuck outside US, like a fish out of water.

Last edited by a moderator: