when to disclose something in the interview???

Vorpal,

It is perfectly clear your post. Of course the camera take a picture of a car and then is responsability of the owner appeal if he/she was driving or not in order to send or process that infraction by ("usually") the police and send it to the correct person.
But the thing is that it is an infraction that it is derivated to court and somebody needs to take care of it and pay the fine, traffic school and possible to add that incident in his/her record.
I am living in California. My citation includes pictures of my infraction even thought there is a picture of my face ( it is not perfectly clear). In the citation there is a name of a law enforcement officer that processed that citation. This one send the citation to court. So the camera is a way to avoid a physical police giving you the citation. In other states can be different
So again I think if you say about this incident doesn´t hurt you but if you don´t... doubt

Vorpal,

It is perfectly clear your post. Of course the camera take a picture of a car and then is responsability of the owner appeal if he/she was driving or not in order to send or process that infraction by ("usually") the police and send it to the correct person.
But the thing is that it is an infraction that it is derivated to court and somebody needs to take care of it and pay the fine, traffic school and possible to add that incident in his/her record.
I am living in California. My citation includes pictures of my infraction even thought there is a picture of my face ( it is not perfectly clear). In the citation there is a name of a law enforcement officer that processed that citation. This one send the citation to court. So the camera is a way to avoid a physical police giving you the citation. In other states can be different
So again I think if you say about this incident doesn´t hurt you but if you don´t... doubt

Why would someone who received a red light camera ticket go to a traffic school? Since these tickets are issued to the vehicle, there are no points associated with them, nor will they go on anyone's driving record. As I've mentioned before, if an applicant decides to disclose camera tickets, then he/she should go ahead and disclose parking tickets as well. Moreover, he/she should also disclose every time they had detention in grade school and every time their parents made them stand in the corner or gave them a time-out.

I am in CA too, and when I got a ticket in the mail, and I think the ticket had a name of an officer who reviewed the traffic video and then issued a citation. But I wonder, since those traffic cameras are run by private companies (i think), do they have a police officer on staff, or do they just have a trained person on staff to review all those videos? any thoughts?

There is no photo with your image on it. A camera takes a picture of the license plate. The ticket is then sent to the titled/registered owner of the vehicle, who may or may not have been the person driving it.

Also, did you actually read my earlier post? A camera is NOT a law enforcement officer. The N-400 asks if you have ever been cited by a law enforcement officer. Can the answer be any more clear?

I am in CA too, and when I got a ticket in the mail, and I think the ticket had a name of an officer who reviewed the traffic video and then issued a citation. But I wonder, since those traffic cameras are run by private companies (i think), do they have a police officer on staff, or do they just have a trained person on staff to review all those videos? any thoughts?

Actually in some states *CA included) red light cameras do take a photo of the driver as well and therefore makes them criminal citations that must be disclosed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_light_camera

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Bob,

So, we need to disclose it in the N-400, no matter whether it is a red light camera or not.
Off topic, i found this info to be very disturbing:
"At some intersections where red-light cameras have been installed, it has been determined that the duration of the yellow signal was illegally shortened[16]. In Tennessee, 176 tickets ($8,800 in fines) were refunded to drivers caught in the first 0.9 seconds after the signal turned red when it was discovered that the length of the yellow signal timing had been reduced by that amount." (from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_light_camera)

Why would someone who received a red light camera ticket go to a traffic school? Since these tickets are issued to the vehicle, there are no points associated with them, nor will they go on anyone's driving record. As I've mentioned before, if an applicant decides to disclose camera tickets, then he/she should go ahead and disclose parking tickets as well. Moreover, he/she should also disclose every time they had detention in grade school and every time their parents made them stand in the corner or gave them a time-out.

Vorpal,

First of all, you can go to a traffic school to avoid points in your DL and then increases in your car insurance. They give you that option or you can pay only the fine and of course get 1 point in your record for 3 years. I paid the fine + traffic school fee so I don´t have anything related in my record.
Vorpal, of course the citation is issued to the vehicle but the vehicle has an owner. The car can´t pay the fine It is the driver responsability.

This is from DMV CA website:
How long does DMV report actions or convictions on driver license records?
•Most convictions of traffic offenses, such as hit and run, reckless driving, and driving under the influence (DUI) will remain on your record for 10 years from the violation date and count as 2 points.
Most other traffic offense convictions will remain on your record for 3 years from the violation date and count as 1 point.
•Accidents are reported for 3 years from the accident date. If you are found to be at fault, the accident normally counts as 1 point.
•Actions taken against your driving privilege, such as a suspension or revocation due to a DUI or a failure to provide proof of financial responsibility, will be reported for 3 years from the proof termination date or the reinstatement date, whichever is earlier.
•A Failure To Appear for DUI offenses will be reported for 10 years from the violation date. All other Failure To Appears and Failure to Pay fines will be reported for 5 years from the violation date.

I got this from a link but I can´t put it because I don´t have more than 15 post.

Second, as I said in other post:
I think the types of things they look for are quite limited. Getting a parking ticket or even getting into an accident where there are no criminal charges of reckless endangerment simply can never establish the basis for a finding of bad moral character. Of course, I think that it is important to know the meaning of the words conviction, citation, etc... it is common sense you are not going to disclose something not related to crime, conviction, arrests, citations...

Thank you Bob,

So, we need to disclose it in the N-400, no matter whether it is a red light camera or not.
Off topic, i found this info to be very disturbing:
"At some intersections where red-light cameras have been installed, it has been determined that the duration of the yellow signal was illegally shortened[16]. In Tennessee, 176 tickets ($8,800 in fines) were refunded to drivers caught in the first 0.9 seconds after the signal turned red when it was discovered that the length of the yellow signal timing had been reduced by that amount." (from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_light_camera)

If the red light photo was taken in CA, then chances are driver's photo was taken as well and it is considered a criminal citation which must be disclosed.