When to apply for Citizenship

Kat999

Registered Users (C)
Hello Gurus,

I got my GC in Mar 2005, The N400 processing time is 5 Months in our field office , when can i apply for Citizenship. Appreciate your responses.

It depends on your status.I got my green card in October 2005 and i applied for citizenship in November 2008 and I have my interview in one month.

GOOD LUCK

Hi Just wanted a view from the experts here.

My husband & I have our GC issued on 07/08/04, we understand we can apply 90 days before so that would be around 04/08/09 . He is traveling out of the country for 3 weeks on 04/02/09. So should we wait till 3 weeks ( April 23 rd when he comes back to apply ). Or does he sign the application now & I mail it around April 8th, if yes to this, then what do we write on Travel part of N 400 , he is traveling from April 2nd to ...?, since the application will have been mailed before he gets back, so that return date could change for un foreseen circumstances. Or do we not mention April 2nd travel & give updated info when we are called for the interview.

Hi Just wanted a view from the experts here.

My husband & I have our GC issued on 07/08/04, we understand we can apply 90 days before so that would be around 04/08/09 . He is traveling out of the country for 3 weeks on 04/02/09. So should we wait till 3 weeks ( April 23 rd when he comes back to apply ). Or does he sign the application now & I mail it around April 8th, if yes to this, then what do we write on Travel part of N 400 , he is traveling from April 2nd to ...?, since the application will have been mailed before he gets back, so that return date could change for un foreseen circumstances. Or do we not mention April 2nd travel & give updated info when we are called for the interview.
You have two choices:

If your husband leaves 4/2/09, have him postdate and sign the application for sometime after 4/8/09 and mail the application a few days after 4/8/09 to allow for discrepancy in 90 day grace period calculation.Update trip at interview.

or

Wait until he comes back and send in application then. You're only loosing 2 weeks by waiting to mail it when he comes back, not really a big difference when you look at the overall processing time.Update trip on application.

My husband & I have our GC issued on 07/08/04, we understand we can apply 90 days before so that would be around 04/08/09 . He is traveling out of the country for 3 weeks on 04/02/09. So should we wait till 3 weeks ( April 23 rd when he comes back to apply ).
He could get the fingerprint appointment in as little as 2 weeks. If that happens he would either miss it or have to cut his trip short. If he misses it, it's not the end of the world, but it would involve either getting it done via walk-in after he returns (and they aren't guaranteed to accept walk-ins), or requesting a reschedule in writing.

Either way could lead to delays and hassles greater than the 2 or 3 weeks you want to save, so to keep things simple and straightforward just wait until he returns and then mail it in.

Could you also let me know, if we can send both the applications, in the same certified mail to USCIS. We understand the checks are separate & forms are also individual. Just trying to see if we get file numbers near each other, will be better to go on same dates for FP, interview, oath etc..

We are based out of Northern CA, East Bay area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, Do I need to apply for citizenship through a Lawyer? the reason I'm askin this is all my Green Card application details are with my lawyer. Do i need those details for filing citizenship? Appreciate any responses.

Hello,

Do I need to apply for citizenship through lawyer, the reason i'm asking this is all my Green card details file is with Lawyer and do i need those details to file the citizenship. Please advise.

Hello,

Do I need to apply for citizenship through lawyer, the reason i'm asking this is all my Green card details file is with Lawyer and do i need those details to file the citizenship. Please advise.

No, you do not need a lawyer unless you are in a complicated situation (such as committed a crime etc).

You need the physical green card in your posession. You do not need all the old paperwork which was processed for the green card.