When does Judicial commitee proposal becomes bill?

GOD_BLESS_YOU

Registered Users (C)
From http://www.immigration-law.com/Visa Retrogression Q&A.html

Q82: The Senate Judiciary Committee passed immigration proposals yesterday, October 20, 2005. I see that one of the proposals includes a provision that allows aliens to apply for I-485 before an immigrant visa number is deemed currently available. Can you tell me whether this provision will apply to those whose labor certification has already been approved or I-140 petition has been approved, but could not file I-485 applications?

A: We do not have details of this specific provision, but it is almost certain that the current waiters for the visa number availability to file I-485 may be covered by this bill if it is enacted into law. Besides, all those over 300,000 labor certification beneficiaries who are currently stuck at the Backlog Centers will be able to file the concurrent I-140/I-485 together with applications for EAD and Advance Parole as soon as their labor certification is approved. For the PERM filers, of course, they will be able to file such concurrent I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131 as soon as the PERM application is certified. All those RIR and PERM beneficiaries will also be allowed to change employment after 180 days of filing of their I-485 applications regardless of the visa number availability! One interesting question is how this bill affect the importance of priority date. The answer is that it will drastically reduce the value of the priority date in that the only difference which the priority date will make between those who filed (RIR)with an earlier priority date and those who filed (PERM) with a much later priority date will be just different waiting times. When it comes to the immigration benefits, such as EAD, AP, and AC21 change of employment after 180 days, the people in these two different groups will enjoy the same! What a marvellous proposal!

Q83: I am not too familiar with the legistrative process. Now, the Senate passed the immigration proposals yesterday, October 20, 2005. Does it mean that probably next month, I will be able to file I-485 application?

A: Under the Constitution of the United States, either House (House of Representatives or Senate) can initiate the legislative process in most cases. Or the two Houses can initiate the legislative process simultaneously. Within each House, the bill is first introduced and goes through the relevant Committees and Subcommittees. The Committees' bill is then presented to the full floor of that House. Statistically, the full floor usually rubber stamps the Committee bills in most cases. Accordingly, the major struggle lies with the Committee actions. If one House initiates alone, the bill moves to another House for its action. In the another House, a same process will take place before the another House either amend and pass or reject the bill or just approve the bill. Where two Houses initiate similar bills either simultaneously or sequentially, and the two Houses passe similar bills with difference in some provisions, then the bills go to the Conference committee that is consisted of the House and the Senate. If the Conference Committe reaches a compromise, the bill then goes back to each House and the full floor of each House will either pass or reject it. Statistically, rejection of the Conference committee compromise is very rare. Once the bill is finally passed by the two Houses, then it is presented to the President for his signature. The President has a power either to consent and sign it into law or veto the bill within 10 days. The so called "statute" or "law" takes effect "upon President's signature." Accordingly, even if the Congress passed a bill, there will be no law until the President signs it into law. This legislative process will tell you two things. The bill which the Judiciary Committee in one House, the Senate, passed yesterday is not a law. Second, for this bill to become a law, there is a long road ahead and will go though a painful struggle in both Houses. Roll up your sleeves and work on lobbying!!

Still some ways to go

GOD_BLESS_YOU,

It is still some months away (optimistically). It has to be approved by the House of reps Judiciary committee, then voted on the floor of the senate and the house.
So it is some months away ( hopefully 3 months or so).

This is my guess. Others are welcome to pitch in.

SJC PASSES FAVORABLE IMMIGRATION REFORM BILL BY 14-2 VOTE

On October 20, as part of the budget reconciliation process, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a markup of a proposal to provide temporary relief from the H-1B visa blackout and the employment-based immigrant visa backlogs, in exchange for increased fees on some petitions. That bill was first reported by Immigration Alerts last week.

Although it was vehemently opposed by some Members of the Committee, the proposal ultimately passed out of Committee by a strong 14-2 vote. A number of amendments were defeated, including one by Senator Sessions (R-AL) to adopt the House Judiciary Committee's approach of levying a $1,500 tax on L visas, and one by Senator Hatch (R-UT) to impose a 5% increase on all immigration fees. An amendment offered by Senator Feinstein (D-CA) to reduce the number of recaptured H-1B visas available annually (from the original proposal of 60,000 to 30,000) did pass by a 10-5 vote. The final package, which will be attached to a wide-ranging budget bill, would:

1. Impose a new $500 fee on immigrant visa petitions for the EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3 categories.

2. Recapture unused employment-based visas from prior years for immediate allocation of up to 90,000/year. (Estimates indicate there are only 90,000-100,000 unused numbers to be tapped.)

3. Exempt spouses and minor children from counting against the annual cap on employment-based immigrant visas. (Estimates are that this would lead to an annual increase of 80,000-90,000 employment-based immigrant visas.)

4. Allow individuals to apply for adjustment of status before an immigrant visa is deemed currently available. (Of course, approval could not occur until the visa number is available.)

5. Recapture approximately 300,000 unused H-1B numbers dating back to FY 1991. As a result of Senator Feinstein's amendment, 30,000 rather than 60,000 would be available annually. (In other words, effectively raising the cap from 65,000 to 95,000 for at least 10 years.)

6. Impose a new fee on the recaptured H-1B visas so that the fees on the original 65,000 H-1B allotment remain unchanged but the additional 30,000 available annually carry an additional $500 fee.

7. Impose a new $750 fee on L-1 visas. (This was part of Senator Feinstein's amendment and was necessary to offset the reduction in revenue resulting from the limitation on recaptured H-1B numbers from 60,000 to 30,000.)

The next step in the process calls for the Senate and the House of Representatives leadership to get together and draft a uniform bill.

Whats the equivalent bill in House of Rep

As we know, there is a similar bill to reconcile budget specifically in the immigration space, in the house of representative. And when there are two bills focussing on the same issue, according to US legislative procedures, its customary to have a common body to review both the bills and come out with one version which then the president signs into a law.

The question is : Do we know what the bill in house of rep. talks about What aspects are same or different from the senate bill.

To those who are interested to read about The Budget Reconciliation Process:
House and Senate Procedures

check the attached detailed document

May be earlier than Feb

I am not sure what they are going to discuss in Feb, but I think this budget bill may be voted earlire than that.

I guess we are all going to wait for a reform that allows us to file for and enjoy the benefits of 485 even if the EB3/EB2 dates are retrogressed. That would be a good start.

Monday, Oct 31, 2005 2:00 pm (Placed on Calendar)-- Senate will consider this bill

Monday, Oct 31, 2005 2:00 pm -- Senate will consider S.1932
Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation Act of 2005 (Placed on Calendar in Senate)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEC. 8001. RECAPTURE OF UNUSED VISA NUMBERS.

(a) Recapture of Unused Employment-Based Immigrant Visas- Section 201(d) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1151(d)) is amended--

(1) in paragraph (2)(C)--

(A) by striking `is the difference' and inserting `is the sum of--

`(i) the difference'; and

(B) by striking the period at the end and inserting the following: `; and

`(ii) the lesser of--

`(I) the number of immigrant visas that were available in any previous fiscal year to employment-based immigrants (and their family members accompanying or following to join under section 203(d)) and that were not issued for that fiscal year or for any subsequent fiscal year, excluding those immigrant visas reserved for employment-based immigrants for an occupation listed in schedule A of section 656.5 of title 20, Code of Federal Regulations; and

`(II) 90,000.'; and

(2) by adding at the end the following:

`(3) Immigrant visas issued on or after October 1, 2004, to spouses and children of employment-based immigrants shall not be counted against the numerical limitation set forth in paragraph (1).'.

(b) Supplemental Petition Fee- Section 204(a)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1154(a)(1)) is amended--

(1) in subparagraph (E), by adding at the end the following: `Such petition shall be accompanied by a supplemental petition fee in the amount of $500.'; and

(2) in subparagraph (F), by adding at the end the following: `Such petition shall be accompanied by a supplemental petition fee in the amount of $500.'.

(c) Adjustment of Status-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 245(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1255(a)) is amended to read as follows:

`(a)(1) The status of an alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States or the status of any other alien having an approved petition for classification under subparagraph (A)(iii), (A)(iv), (B)(ii), or (B)(iii) of section 204(a)(1) may be adjusted by the Secretary of Homeland Security or the Attorney General, in the discretion of the Secretary or Attorney General, and under such regulations as the Secretary or Attorney General may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if--

`(A) the alien makes an application for such adjustment;

`(B) the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible to the United States for permanent residence; and

`(C) an immigrant visa is immediately available to the alien at the time the application is filed.

`(2) If a supplemental petition fee is paid for any petition under subparagraph (E) or (F) of section 204(a)(1), an application under paragraph (1) of this subsection on behalf of an alien beneficiary of such petition (including a spouse or child who is accompanying or following to join the principal beneficiary) may be filed without regard to the limitation set forth in paragraph (1)(C). An application for adjustment of status filed under this paragraph may not be approved until such time as an immigrant visa becomes available.'.

(2) PENDING APPLICATIONS- An alien on whose behalf a petition was pending under subparagraph (E) or (F) of section 204(a)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1154(a)(1)), on the date of enactment of this Act may, upon the payment of the supplemental petition fee set forth in such section, apply for adjustment of status under this subsection without regard to the limitation set forth in section 245(a)(1)(C) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1255(a)(1)(C)), as amended by paragraph (1).

(d) Recapture of Unused H-1B Visa Numbers- Section 214(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1184(g)) is amended--

(1) by redesignating paragraphs (9) through (11) as paragraphs (10) through (12), respectively; and

(2) by inserting after paragraph (8) the following:

`(9)(A) If the numerical limitation in paragraph (1)(A) for fiscal year 2006 or a subsequent fiscal year has been reached, such numerical limitation shall be supplemented in a number equal to the lesser of--

`(i) the cumulative total number of visas that were available in all prior fiscal years subsequent to fiscal year 1991, and not issued for each such fiscal year or any subsequent fiscal year; and

`(ii) 30,000.

`(B) Any petition filed after the numerical limitation set forth in paragraph (1)(A) has been reached for that fiscal year, and seeking an H-1B visa number recaptured under subparagraph (A) of this paragraph, shall be accompanied by an H-1B recapture fee in the amount of $500.'.

(e) Conforming Amendment- Section 286(m) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1356(m)) is amended by inserting `, including those fees provided for in subparagraphs (E) and (F) of section 204(a)(1) and subsections (c)(15) and (g)(9)(B) of section 214,' after `all adjudication fees'.

(f) Expenditure Limitation- Amounts collected under subparagraphs (E) and (F) of section 204(a)(1) and subsections (c)(15) and (g)(9)(B) of section 214 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended by this Act, may not be expended unless specifically appropriated by an Act of Congress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,
One fundamental Question. Where will they get the VISA numbers for the Spouses and family Members if they Dont Count them from the Available Employment based Quota.The issued Visa Numbers should come from some where right?
Any thoughts?

31 october!

http://www.senate.gov

Floor Schedule

Monday, Oct 31, 2005

2:00 p.m.: Convene and begin a period of morning business. Thereafter, proceed to consideration of S.1932, the Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation bill.

Previous Meeting

Friday, Oct 28, 2005

The Senate convened at 10:00 a.m. and adjourned at 12:54 p.m. No record votes were taken.

http://budget.senate.gov/republican/

Oct. 31 – U.S. Senate expected to begin floor consideration of the Deficit Reduction Act

Last edited by a moderator:
Ali ,

SInce it has many many diffrent items to gothrough ,do you think there will be a significant debate on this issue ? I don't think they will spend lots of time on this item as it is income generating suggestion ,there are certain senetors agains this suggestion but they are always against new immigrant ,even if you senate want to increase only 1 no per year then also they will oppose it :) ,I hope it will go through and after this is there any hurdles ?

Any latest news about this bill?

Ali_Sabri said:
http://www.senate.gov

Floor Schedule

Monday, Oct 31, 2005

2:00 p.m.: Convene and begin a period of morning business. Thereafter, proceed to consideration of S.1932, the Deficit Reduction Omnibus Reconciliation bill.

Previous Meeting

Friday, Oct 28, 2005

The Senate convened at 10:00 a.m. and adjourned at 12:54 p.m. No record votes were taken.

http://budget.senate.gov/republican/

Oct. 31 – U.S. Senate expected to begin floor consideration of the Deficit Reduction Act
When will senator vote for this bill? This Wednsday/

Did you all sent your support for this bill. If not, please go to this website and send an email to senator to support retrogression relief.

It is better to add some text on how difficult it was for you to get your GC processed with long waits at DOL and now after PERM wait to file for 485 may be 5 or 6 years bieng an indian/chinese citizen. And you may chose to go back, even though you love this country for its technology. And talk about some brain drain. Also we can list our problems related to H4 being not able to work and (not able to get H1B visa because of low quota ) and not able to get EAD because huge backlogs in DOL and long wait times ( 6 years) for EAD. Though they are great professionals back home, ideally here they are good for nothing and we might have to choose to go home and not want to spoil their career because of your visa status in US.

http://capwiz.com/aila2/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=8185761