When do they stamp on our passport?

johnrem

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,
When we apply asylum in USA, and when we present our passport and I-94 will they keep the passport and the I-94 with them because if one is overstaying his visa?If they keep, is it dangerous that they can deport anytime?
And most importantly, will they stamp on the passport indicating that the passport holder has applied asylum even if he/she is in proceedings that means even if the person is not yet granted asylum or denied asylum or given final deportation order?Please help!

my opinion

Hi Johnrem,
This is just my personal experience and so just my opinion.
When i applied Asylum I didnt send my passports to them just the copies and so you would keep your passport. About overstaying your visa Asylee applicants can be overstayed visa holders, illegals and legal residents it does not affect your case and so it doesnt matter much.
I didnt get any stamp on my passport and the IO who did me interview only checked to see I was the real holder of the passport but they sent me a new I-94 when I got approved showing my new asylee status which I just pinned to my passport.
BUT when my wife and two kids came[derivative status] their passports were stamped as asylees at the port of entry. I dont know if thats the standard procedure other forum members will also contribute. Good luck.

This is true. They stamp on their passport in Red and bold "ASYLEE". That's why i don't understand how people in this forum state that derivatives can visit COP anytime. It is never possible with that stamp and no visa on the passport. When they will enter COP from USA, do you think immigration officers are dump not to figure out what's going on here. They can't even renew their passport as the consulate will also see that.

What will Indian Immigration do at Indian Airports

Dear all,
If I apply asylum, do not win and go back to my native India, what will happen if the Indian Immigration knows that I applied US Asylum?Will they detain me?Will they charge me for defaming India?Will my assets,money in the bank and properties I have in India be confiscated by Indian authorities?
Can anyone help me please?

JohnRem,

It Think this only happens on a case to case basic. I dont think it is standard policy though Asylum Office might have changed their policy. I recall back in the 90's we get EAD without going to the interview, so things are changing they are getting smarter and smarter by the day.

Dear all,
If I apply asylum, do not win and go back to my native India, what will happen if the Indian Immigration knows that I applied US Asylum?Will they detain me?Will they charge me for defaming India?Will my assets,money in the bank and properties I have in India be confiscated by Indian authorities?
Can anyone help me please?

They (USCIS) usually do not stamp the passports of asylum applicants.