when can withdraw N-400 application?

suncat

Registered Users (C)
Can withdraw N-400 application after Interview or have to before interview? Will USCIS refund your money?

Yes you can withdraw your appliaction -as far as I know at any time. Not sure what your circumstances are. You cannot however get a refund.

No refunds.

What problem are you trying to solve by withdrawing? If you simply don't want to become a US citizen because you would lose your original citizenship, or don't want to do things like jury duty, you can withdraw at any time. You can even show up on oath day and tell them you don't want to do it.

But if you want to withdraw because you have a criminal record or other some immigration irregularities that could make you deportable, you have to withdraw before the interview. Once you do the interview, they will initiate deportation proceedings if your situation is bad enough to warrant that. And even if you withdraw before the interview, they might still initiate deportation anyway, if the background check turns up an obviously deportable offense. But if you only have a minor offense that is not clearly deportable, they might decide to just forget about your case if you withdraw before the interview, whereas showing up for the interview would give them the opportunity to view the court documents and refer the case to their lawyers to evaluate whether you should be deported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that citizenship denial usually does not lead to deportation. In most cases, people keep their green card and are eligible to reapply in the future. For them to pursue deportation, the individual would have had to commit a deportable crime, or have some irregularity with the green card process such that if USCIS knew about it when the green card was pending they would have denied the green card.

You can withdrawal your application at any time. If USCIS hasn't cashed your check yet,you may want to consider putting a stop payment on it. However, this doesn't guarantee that they won't attempt to collect the charges anyway.

I want to withdraw because I will lose my original nationality. I want to finish few things with my original nationality before I apply again. Do I need to write to them to withdraw my application or better to arrange for an InfoPass. I do not want this affect my chances when I apply few years later.
Please advise.
Regards

I want to withdraw because I will lose my original nationality. I want to finish few things with my original nationality before I apply again. Do I need to write to them to withdraw my application or better to arrange for an InfoPass. I do not want this affect my chances when I apply few years later.
Please advise.
Regards

Send USCIS a certified letter stating that you wish to withdraw your application. Follow up with an Infopass if you don't get acknowledgment of receipt within 45 days.
A withdrawal request does not affect future N-400 application.

You can withdrawal your application at any time. If USCIS hasn't cashed your check yet,you may want to consider putting a stop payment on it. However, this doesn't guarantee that they won't attempt to collect the charges anyway.

Bob:

I would not suggest stopping a check considering the possible repercussions. I mean after all its only $675! I could be wrong but couldn't that open up a whole new can of worms if USCIS tries to cash the check but fails to do so? Any thoughts?

Bob:

I would not suggest stopping a check considering the possible repercussions. I mean after all its only $675! I could be wrong but couldn't that open up a whole new can of worms if USCIS tries to cash the check but fails to do so? Any thoughts?

Hence my disclaimer that USCIS may still attempt to collect. A stop fee of $25 for a $675 check potentially saves you $650, but it could also mean that USCIS would attempt to collect the fee afterwards. The key is to get the withdrawal notice to USCIS before they cash the check. That way it's shown that you have withdrawn the application before USCIS ever had a chance to begin initial processing.

Hence my disclaimer that USCIS may still attempt to collect. A stop fee of $25 for a $675 check potentially saves you $650, but it could also mean that USCIS would attempt to collect the fee afterwards. The key is to get the withdrawal notice to USCIS before they cash the check. That way it's shown that you have withdrawn the application before USCIS ever had a chance to begin initial processing.

OK! So you mean in the worst case the downside risk will be $(675+25) but with a upside potential to save $650. Have been investing too much in the securities market lately to use that language :D

Makes sense as long as you believe there are no other consequences (bad check, fraud etc.)!

try to rescehdule your FP ...then rescedhule your Interview for 2 or 3 times, then delay Oath for 3 or 4 time -- if u r ready bu that time....then get it --

try to rescehdule your FP ...then rescedhule your Interview for 2 or 3 times, then delay Oath for 3 or 4 time -- if u r ready bu that time....then get it --

That was a smart suggestion. If your time frame to consider reapplication is within a year or two this might work. I mean what gives the right only to USCIS to delay cases. Sometimes applicants can as well.

If you still want to apply in the future, why not just go to your interview
to get interview experience? During the interview, you can say you change
mind and request for withdrawal, or you can flunk your English test,
or simply say you only want to bear arms for USA if the war is with
your home country's neighbor?

If you still want to apply in the future, why not just go to your interview
to get interview experience? During the interview, you can say you change
mind and request for withdrawal, or you can flunk your English test,
or simply say you only want to bear arms for USA if the war is with
your home country's neighbor?

Creativity at its best ... previous suggestion was also good.:D

However, it all depends on
a) is the test before or after the interview. It is known to be inconsistent. Also flunking civics might be better than flunking english. At least you can talk to the IO properly.
b) After 2 years, how will the IO treat you after you have missed 4 FP and 3 interview appointments..

Send USCIS a certified letter stating that you wish to withdraw your application. Follow up with an Infopass if you don't get acknowledgment of receipt within 45 days.
A withdrawal request does not affect future N-400 application.

Hi Bob, what certified letter means ? Noterized?

I want withdraw because I will lose my home country citizenship. Due to family reason, I am considering withdraw now and may apply in the future.

My finger print notice says, if you fail to show up or didn't reschedule, your case will be abandoned. I think it is better to send withdraw letter instead of saying nothing, leave bad record in USCIS.

Pls advise, thanks!

Certified meaning that you have have a way of tracking by mail that they received it, and on what day. If you ignore FP, they will eventually consider your case abandoned and will close it. There's no negative impact if you decide to ignore FP and have case close on its own due to abandonment.
How far down the road are you planning for naturalization? If it's only a few months, then you may still successfully keep your case open by delaying FP. If it's several years from now, then either send letter of withdrawal, or ignore FP and have case close on its own after about 1 year.

Certified meaning that you have have a way of tracking by mail that they received it, and on what day. If you ignore FP, they will eventually consider your case abandoned and will close it. There's no negative impact if you decide to ignore FP and have case close on its own due to abandonment.
How far down the road are you planning for naturalization? If it's only a few months, then you may still successfully keep your case open by delaying FP. If it's several years from now, then either send letter of withdrawal, or ignore FP and have case close on its own after about 1 year.

Thanks Bob for your response.

I maybe will apply a couple years later. Not sure yet. I don't plan to sponser anybody to immigrate to U.S through my citizenship.

I didn't commit any criminal. If I didn't go to do finger print, would USCIS think I dare not finger print because I did some criminal things? Don't keep appointment will really No negtive impact for my future application, even for green card renew?

Thanks!

If I didn't go to do finger print, would USCIS think I dare not finger print because I did some criminal things? Don't keep appointment will really No negtive impact for my future application, even for green card renew?

Thanks!

No, USCIS wouldn't start investigating why you abandoned your application. Even for future GC renewal, a previous naturalization abandonment or withdrawal would not come up to affect renewal.

Ok, thanks! I think I will just don't show up for finger print, make this easier.

Thanks!