when can withdraw N-400 application?

You still should file a withdrawal request in writing, so they will close the case cleanly and properly. Otherwise, people sometimes end up with delays on a future application because USCIS sees an old application that wasn't closed and have to stop to investigate it.

You still should file a withdrawal request in writing, so they will close the case cleanly and properly. Otherwise, people sometimes end up with delays on a future application because USCIS sees an old application that wasn't closed and have to stop to investigate it.

Considering the OP has no plans to reapply in the next couple of years, it would be highly unlikely that the old application would inadvertently remain open for that long. USCIS administratively closes an application after a certain amount of time if they don't hear back from applicant. My bet is that USCIS monitors open applications on a regular basis and takes actions on those that the applicant has not responded to for a long time.

Considering the OP has no plans to reapply in the next couple of years, it would be highly unlikely that the old application would inadvertently remain open for that long. USCIS administratively closes an application after a certain amount of time if they don't hear back from applicant. My bet is that USCIS monitors open applications on a regular basis and takes actions on those that the applicant has not responded to for a long time.
Maybe they are more consistent with closing naturalization applications. But I know of some people (including on this forum) who had some hassles and delays because of abandoned green card applications that were not closed, when they applied for a visa or green card years later. USCIS or the consulate should have closed it when they didn't show up for fingerprints or the interview and didn't reschedule, but they left it open and dormant anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

How long does it take local DO to send applicants' A file back to NBC?
If the next application is filed too early, they may know where the file is.
NBC can not find it. Local DO is waiting for NBC to send but actually the A file is still at local DO.

Maybe its best to "cleanly" close the case to avoid whatever little doubts one might have. After all its only a couple of bucks for certified mail expense and a few minutes of time to write a small note. :)

Maybe its best to "cleanly" close the case to avoid whatever little doubts one might have. After all its only a couple of bucks for certified mail expense and a few minutes of time to write a small note. :)

They may receive your certtified mail and you get a receipt but they may
not close it. So there is no guarantee which way can close your application more cleanly than others. I think the best way is to get oath letter
and then cancel the oath letter. This also ensure you can still
get citizenship in case suddenly want to becoem a citizen again.