• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

When and how I should get the SSN

mohd_nigm

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys, I'm a DV14 winner .......... I landed yesterday in NY, could you please tell me when I should receive my SSN ?
Regards to all and wish you all good luck :)

Patience is a virtue. I entered the country on November 24 via LAX and I received my SSN in the mail on December 6. Unless you have a job waiting for you to get it, you don't really need it immediately. If you need it within your first few weeks and it hasn't arrived, I'd be going to your local social security office.

Hi Guys, I'm a DV14 winner .......... I landed yesterday in NY, could you please tell me when I should receive my SSN ?
Regards to all and wish you all good luck :)

Personally, I see nothing wrong with following up on it by visiting the nearest social security office as soon as you can. As a matter of fact, if you wish to do that within the next couple of days, it's not a bad idea.

While some new immigrants have been fortunate enough to receive the card within a week or two of their arrival, most never did receive anything for weeks and only found out after visiting the SSA that an application was never put in the system for them. I'm a strong advocate of being proactive as against seating on one's butt, waiting anxiously and wondering if the card will arrive or not!

Patience is a virtue. Unless you have a job waiting for you to get it, you don't really need it immediately. If you need it within your first few weeks and it hasn't arrived, I'd be going to your local social security office.

By the way, a job offer is not the only reason one needs a SSN. If for instance, the OP wants to apply for a driver's license, he cannot begin the process without his social security number. Also, most service providers will not talk to you without you having a SSN.

Guys........ Thank u for ur reply, actually the problem is that I can't apply for any service without the SSN.
I'm not here for a job, I just landed this time to receive the plastic GC before the visa expiration.
So, do you recommend to visit the nearest social security office ?, is there any documents I should submit or I just show them my passport ?
Thank you again guys :)

@crawf 23, I have a question for you please, did u receive the plastics green card first or the SSN, and how long time it takes to receive the GC, and how long time it takes to receive the SSN?
Thank you !!

Guys........ Thank u for ur reply, actually the problem is that I can't apply for any service without the SSN.
I'm not here for a job, I just landed this time to receive the plastic GC before the visa expiration.
So, do you recommend to visit the nearest social security office ?, is there any documents I should submit or I just show them my passport ?
Thank you again guys :)

Yes, visit the nearest SSA building. You should take along your passport and birth certificate. Also, you should download the SSN application form -you should be able to find this online, fill it out and take it along with the other documents - just in case a request wasn't already put in the system on your behalf, you simply submit the form.

What we did was:
We landed on Sunday night, went to SSA office Monday morning. Passport + immigrant visa was OK. SSNs arrived in the mail in 4-5 days.

@crawf 23, I have a question for you please, did u receive the plastics green card first or the SSN, and how long time it takes to receive the GC, and how long time it takes to receive the SSN?
Thank you !!

I don't have my green card yet. I got my SSN first. I have no idea when the green card is going to show up, to be perfectly honest.

Sm1smom, crawf33
Thank you so much for your advice, I went already today to the nearest social security adminstration office only with my passport and already apply for the SSN
Thank you guys :)

Sm1smom, crawf33
Thank you so much for your advice, I went already today to the nearest social security adminstration office only with my passport and already apply for the SSN

Hello Guys
When you expect to get the GC ? I am traveling on next month and we will stay there for only 3 weeks because of my kidz schools, and we will come back to US on May to stay for ever.
So do you think that we can have our Green Cards within 20 days ? If not, then my uncle will receove them on his mail address ( where we put our address ), but i heard that he cant send them to us by air mail ( sending such doc. are not allowed ), so how we can come back to the US in May and our GC are not with us ?

Pls advice ..

Thanks

Hello Guys
When you expect to get the GC ? I am traveling on next month and we will stay there for only 3 weeks because of my kidz schools, and we will come back to US on May to stay for ever.
So do you think that we can have our Green Cards within 20 days ? If not, then my uncle will receove them on his mail address ( where we put our address ), but i heard that he cant send them to us by air mail ( sending such doc. are not allowed ), so how we can come back to the US in May and our GC are not with us ?

Pls advice ..

Thanks

Quite possible your GC may not have arrived by the time you need to head back to your country, but that shouldn't cause any problem when you do return in May. You Uncle could keep them with him till you return. You will be able to come back in May 2014 as planned using the new that will be put on your passports at your initial entry into the US. The I-551 stamp is usually valid for 1 year and can be used in place of your physical GC for that duration.

Quite possible your GC may not have arrived by the time you need to head back to your country, but that shouldn't cause any problem when you do return in May. You Uncle could keep them with him till you return. You will be able to come back in May 2014 as planned using the new that will be put on your passports at your initial entry into the US. The I-551 stamp is usually valid for 1 year and can be used in place of your physical GC for that duration.

Thanks a lot for your feedback

Hi, quick question... Do you know if we can go to a SS office that is in a city we will only be in temporarily, and not the one with our mailing address, to make sure the SSN process is underway? We land on Thursday, but will be in the US only for 2 weeks checking out a few cities/possible opportunities; however our mailing address is a relative elsewhere.

Hi, quick question... Do you know if we can go to a SS office that is in a city we will only be in temporarily, and not the one with our mailing address, to make sure the SSN process is underway? We land on Thursday, but will be in the US only for 2 weeks checking out a few cities/possible opportunities; however our mailing address is a relative elsewhere.

Oh yeah. You can check or initiate the process from any city, it shouldn't be a problem. Have a safe trip.

Sm1smom, crawf33
Hi Mohd
Just i want to get well, you went to the SSN and found it already applied on behalf of you ? or you apply by your self ?

Thanks

Hi Reeno,
I thought that no need to go to apply for the SSN but I discover that I must go by my self, I went to the nearest SSN adminstration office with my passport, I applied for my self and then after 5 days I received the SSN