What option does a GC holder have to bring foreign spouse?

diavon

Registered Users (C)
What option does a GC holder have to bring foreign girlfriend?

I am a GC holder. I've met this girl abroad and would like to bring her here. We are not married but eventually would like to get married. What options do I have?

Last edited by a moderator:
the only option is to file I-130 after you are married and to wait 5-6 years for her immigrant visa number (or less, if you become a US citizen) to bring her here.

What about F1?

Isnt getting admission into some easy college and coming on F1 visa an option? Remember... we are not married yet.

What about this idea? Can I get an H1 visa, then get married, and then get her here on an H4 visa?

So I guess my question then becomes: Can someone who already has a valid green card also get an H1-B visa?? (this is assuming the employer is willing, so let us not discuss that aspect).

I think you need to surrender GC first, then apply for H1. There was discussion in "After GC" section to switch from Gc to H1 sometime back.

Getting F1 is OK to enter the US before marrigage. But once you get married, your wife probably faces difficulty to renew F1 until filing I485 and then need to leave the US or switch to the visa which allows dual intent such as H1 or L1.

can a spouse of a greencard holder stay in the US if her H1B expires?

Hi,

I have an H1B and my labor certification has been pending for 5.5 years. My new husband has a green card.

If my H1B expires and I loose my job (and I can't renew the H1B), can I stay in the US?

What if we have a child and I want to stay home for a few years? I guess if I don't work, I can't renew the H1B and then I have to leave?

???

Anyone knows?

Thanks,

A.

check this out

I think follow to join is the better option for you. Check it out. This option is good and you can get her here.

gringo said:
There is a V visa available for sposes of Permanent Residents -- read here.

http://www.visalaw.com/01apr1/12apr101.html

To qualify for a V visa, the applicant must be the spouse or unmarried child under 21 of a permanent resident for whom an application for immigration was filed on or before December 21, 2000. The application for immigration must have been pending for three years at the time of the application for the V visa

Do i eligible for follow to join

Hi Friends,

Recently got my Green Card( I-551 stamp) on my passport. I have not landed yet. I got the GC in F2B category and currently i'm living in Canada as PR.

Is it okay, if i get married before landing to USA???

What are the options available for me to bring my spouse to USA soon rather than waiting for 5-6 years???

Can my spouse eligible for "follow to join" benifit??

Thanks all for your kind response.

Mitesh

if you already have I-551 stamp, that means you "landed" in the US already. Since you are an LPR already, but not married yet, your wife is ineligible for following to join benefits.

hi lucyMO,

i do have I-551 stamp on passport but not landed yet. The stamp has not been endorsed yet. It can only be endorsed if i physically land in USA. right???

Thanks,
Mitesh

F2b

pmiteshr,

F2B is for unmarried son or daughter of LPR. if you get married before inspecting and entering as a LPR, your green card could be revoked because you violate the condition as an unmarried adult. Immigration visa does not mean you are a LPR yet. follow to joint does not appy for F2B category.

You future wife can apply student visa before you apply I-130 petition for her or she can apply for H-1 visa any time because H-1 visa has dual intent.