what is the re-entry permit/refugee travel doc you're supposed to take to the oath ceremony?

gigifan

Registered Users (C)
what is the re-entry permit/refugee travel doc you're supposed to take to the oath ceremony? what is that? i don't know if we have one?

It only applies to you if you ever had a reentry permit or refugee travel document issues to you. If you don't have one, it doesn't apply to you.

what documents did you take to the naturalization oath ceremony?

are you supposed to take your foreign passport? DL?

the letter says "any immigration documents" which could be anything and everything?

so those of you who have already done this, what docs did you take, or are you planning to take?

are you supposed to take your foreign passport? DL?

the letter says "any immigration documents" which could be anything and everything?

so those of you who have already done this, what docs did you take, or are you planning to take?
Bring foreign passport if you traveled outisde US between interview and oath. DL is always good for extra ID.
Any immigration document means to surrender any EADs, I-94, reentry permits..etc. If you don't have them, no need to worry about it.

Most people just go there with the Green Card and the oath letter. If you have had trips since interview it might be good to take your passport to the oath to show the passport stamps.

Bring foreign passport if you traveled outisde US between interview and oath. DL is always good for extra ID.
Any immigration document means to surrender any EADs, I-94, reentry permits..etc. If you don't have them, no need to worry about it.

what are EADs and I-94?

Thanks for your quick responses! I appreciate it!!!

why would someone doing an oath ceremony still have an EAD?

i don't think we ever got an i-94 - do just some people get that? only travel was to canada

A reentry permit is used to preserve your permanent residency status for absences outside US of more than 1 year.

A lot of people also use those as their "passports" because they do not have one from their countries of citizenship.

i don't think we ever got an i-94 - do just some people get that? only travel was to canada

When you receive your GC by mail you're not required to surrender your EAD. I still had mine until I shredded it after oath.
As for I-94, they sometimes staple them in your foreign passport for non immigration visas like H1b, TN etc..

I received 3 EAD cards but I might have lost a couple of them even though I have their photocopies. Would it in any way have any negative impact on the grant of citizenship if I am not able to surrender these EAD cards at the oath ceremony?

Thanks!!

I received 3 EAD cards but I might have lost a couple of them even though I have their photocopies. Would it in any way have any negative impact on the grant of citizenship if I am not able to surrender these EAD cards at the oath ceremony?

Thanks!!

No, return what you can find. The most important thing is to return your GC at the oath ceremony.

Thanks!!

i don't think any of the people at the ceremony would even know you had 3 EAD cards since that is such an unusual situation. it sounds like they don't even ask specifically EAD's, just "immigration documents" in general

You didn't get an I-94? How did you enter the US before obtaining your green card? When you entered the US before becoming a permanent resident, didn't they make you fill out an immigration form and tear off a stub at the end of the form to put back in your passport? That stub is the I-94.

You didn't get an I-94? How did you enter the US before obtaining your green card? When you entered the US before becoming a permanent resident, didn't they make you fill out an immigration form and tear off a stub at the end of the form to put back in your passport? That stub is the I-94.

so we are supposed to still have that? there is no stub in the passport.

Again, if you have them then bring them..if you don't then there's nothing to worry about. Your GC is the only immigration document that you must surrender in order to take the oath.

I also do not have the I-94. I think it was taken by the IO when I went to the local office to get a temporary GC stamp on my passport after my GC was approved but before receiving the actual card.

No, you're not required to still have it. I'm just wondering why it seems like such an unknown thing to you, as if you never received one. Is it a really long time (like 10 years or more) since you last entered the US without a green card?