What is the exact size of pasport card?

Immigrant66

Registered Users (C)
I am undecided if I should apply passport card with passport.The main reason is that if it does not fit on my walet, It will be useless, Could any of you give me the exact size of it? I am hoping that it is not bigger than driving liscence?

Why do you want a card? Unless you are travelling to Canada, Mexico or Bahamas regularly. If not , I don't recommend. To answer your answer , its credit card / Driver license size..
Note that passport card is only for the countries mentioned above. For all other countries you need your book..

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think that It does worth to spend 20 more dollars to have it and carry it instead of Naturalization Certificate where it is nessecery.There is no better deal specially with 10 years validity.After all it is very neat card to carry as a proof of citizenship but only if fits in my walet. Knowing the demension of it now, I'm soooooo going to apply for it with my passport.

I see no reason not to apply for it. All you need to do is to check an extra box on your passport application and fork a few more dollars. In return, you get a card, which I believe but not 100% sure, will be the size of a "Green Card". You could use that as Id when you fly within the country as well as in situations when you have to deal with police (when pulled over etc). I applied for both passport and the card a week ago.

It would be worth applying for the passport card even if it did not fit in the wallet just because it is another proof of US citizenship. It cannot be used for travelling abroad by air, but it can be used for I-9, as a REAL ID, and as a proof of US citizenship if you lose your passport book and need to deal with the US consulate abroad.

When I tried to buy alcohol with my passport card as an ID (just for fun), the store clerk did not even know what kind of document it was, and was very surprised that it had a "strange" date format and term "surname" instead of "last name". For her it looked like a foreign document :D Oh, ethnocentrism at its best...

It would be worth applying for the passport card even if it did not fit in the wallet just because it is another proof of US citizenship. It cannot be used for travelling abroad by air, but it can be used for I-9, as a REAL ID, and as a proof of US citizenship if you lose your passport book and need to deal with the US consulate abroad.

When I tried to buy alcohol with my passport card as an ID (just for fun), the store clerk did not even know what kind of document it was, and was very surprised that it had a "strange" date format and term "surname" instead of "last name". For her it looked like a foreign document :D Oh, ethnocentrism at its best...

I still remember a similar incident that happened to me 10 years ago. I tried to buy a pack of cigarettes at a 7-11 and attempted to use my GC as proof of age. The clerk flatly refused to accept it, stating that a DL is the only proof of age that they are allowed to accept.

I got mine a week or two back and it is credit card size and it comes with a special protective sleeve.

As has been stated, it is good to show Citizenship and use as an ID. It is also easier to get a replacement passport book if the book was stolen or lost.

I carried my GC in my wallet for the entire time I had it and I will do the same with the passport card. Just another card in my wallet.

I still remember a similar incident that happened to me 10 years ago. I tried to buy a pack of cigarettes at a 7-11 and attempted to use my GC as proof of age. The clerk flatly refused to accept it, stating that a DL is the only proof of age that they are allowed to accept.
This is one of the reasons why I am not a great fan of state rights. One state does not want to accept the US passport as a proof of US citizenship, another state will not accept any federally-issued ID as a proof of age - in my opinion, it is unacceptable. That is also why I am a proponent of a National ID card.

U.S. Passport may be used ONLY if it indicates place of birth in the U.S.????? This is idiotic. At the same time certificate of citizenship is accepted and it clearly says indivitual's former nationality. It is amazing that what kind of fools running the great state of Texas.

It is amazing that what kind of fools running the great state of Texas.
At the same time the governor of the great state of Texas Prick Perry is accused of approving an execution of an innocent man. Way to go, Texas... :rolleyes:

I remember that he was treating federal government that texas will get out of union over some other stupid reason of his, Unbelivible. Now makes a perfect sense that how bush F***ed up the whole country, Becoming Governer of Texas has it's own qualifications.

I carried my GC in my wallet for the entire time I had it and I will do the same with the passport card. Just another card in my wallet.

Ha ha ha ha.. I did the same fr 12 years..
Now my wallet is kind of sad, it misses my GC.. So I am getting the passport card.. No better ID ( proof of Citizenship) than that.. And only 2.00 per year..

GREAT ! ! ! !

I will carry my passport card only when I go to Maricopa county, Arizona :D Even the CBP agents that set-up random checkpoints near the border are much more reasonable than the brave deputies of Joe Arpaio.

This is one of the reasons why I am not a great fan of state rights. One state does not want to accept the US passport as a proof of US citizenship, another state will not accept any federally-issued ID as a proof of age - in my opinion, it is unacceptable. That is also why I am a proponent of a National ID card.

Agreed 100%. It should be mandated by the Federal government that all Federal forms of ID are accepted by individual states. From what I understand, there's already a lawsuit against the Texas Department of Public Safety over the passport snafu. It's clearly unconstitutional not to accept a U.S. passport as proof of citizenship.