What is the best way to bring my wife to US?

nashulica

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am applying for citizenship next month.
What is the best way to bring my wife to US?
Should I file an I-130 form now or should I wait to become an US citizen first?
And how long wil it take to get my wife to US after I become an US Citizen?

Thanks.

If she is outside the US, wait until after you become a citizen to file the I-130. If you file it before, you will need to upgrade it after naturalization, which involves some hassle and possible delays, as they are not quick or consistent about acknowledging if and when they have done the upgrade.

If she is outside the US, wait until after you become a citizen to file the I-130. If you file it before, you will need to upgrade it after naturalization, which involves some hassle and possible delays, as they are not quick or consistent about acknowledging if and when they have done the upgrade.

Agreed. I can't see any benefits to filing the I-130 prior to naturalization, especially since the OP is about to file the N-400.

I suggest you apply for I-130 ASAP. I made the mistake of not applying for my son's I-130 before I became a U.S Citizen & his application got approved 4 months after my wife's upgrade case, which got approved in 2 weeks after calling the 1800 number.

So I suggest you apply for your wife's I-130 ASAp and upgrade it later. Its not much of hassle to upgrade, you can either fax or email the service center after you speak to the 1800 folks and get a reference number.

So I suggest you apply for your wife's I-130 ASAp and upgrade it later. Its not much of hassle to upgrade, you can either fax or email the service center after you speak to the 1800 folks and get a reference number.
Were your wife and son inside the US filing the I-485, or outside the US waiting for consular processing?

It is often a big hassle to coordinate with the NVC and/or consulate to get the upgrade done; for many people they don't process the initial upgrade request so the case just sits idle for several months until the USC repeatedly calls and mails them to get the upgrade done and confirm it.

Whereas if the immigrant spouse or child is using the I-485 route, the upgrade is no big deal. When the I-485 is filed with a copy of the naturalization certificate or US passport, USCIS quickly figures things out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it really a hassle to upgrade or rather just a matter of keeping on top of things by calling them to make sure they updated the case?

I think it's hassle to do that, especially given that they often give no information or false information on the phone (telling you it's done when it's not done or vice versa).

If somebody else doesn't think that's a hassle, good for them.

Were your wife and son inside the US filing the I-485, or outside the US waiting for consular processing?

It is often a big hassle to coordinate with the NVC and/or consulate to get the upgrade done; for many people they don't process the initial upgrade request so the case just sits idle for several months until the USC repeatedly calls and mails them to get the upgrade done and confirm it.

Whereas if the immigrant spouse or child is using the I-485 route, the upgrade is no big deal. When the I-485 is filed with a copy of the naturalization certificate or US passport, USCIS quickly figures things out.

My wife/son were outside the country. Its not a hassle trust me. Even though I agree that 1800 line is a bad misinformation line, if you get through to the 2nd level support, they do all they can to help you.

In my case, to upgrade my wife's case, it took only one phone call and to get to an officer who then asked me to email a copy of my naturlization certificate along with a reference number to California service Center....I know that other service centers have special fax numbers just for upgrades.

I also thought that it won't work but weirdly I got an approval for my wife's case in 2 weeks. Since my wife's interview was scheduled before my son's I-130 was approved, I called the 1800 number again to expedite and got an email from CSC that it was granted and his approval sent to NVC.

So it works if you go through the channel and be patient! Dont expect to be approved in a day..you do have to call and be up to date with your case obviously!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same situation. wantmygcnow experience made things look easy although I heard a lot of horror stories of delay for talking that route ..
I will do more research and might file I-130 for wife and son soon ...

I am in the same situation. wantmygcnow experience made things look easy although I heard a lot of horror stories of delay for talking that route ..
I will do more research and might file I-130 for wife and son soon ...

Make sure to file a separate I-130 for your son & wife. As a LPR, you can include your son with your wife's I-130 but once you become a USC, you need to have an I-130 for each relative..so its better to apply 2 I-130s right now. Its not as hard to upgrade. Make sure to be persistent and you will be ok.

Make sure to file a separate I-130 for your son & wife. As a LPR, you can include your son with your wife's I-130 but once you become a USC, you need to have an I-130 for each relative..so its better to apply 2 I-130s right now. Its not as hard to upgrade. Make sure to be persistent and you will be ok.

Thank you wantmygcnow ... I think I will start gathering documents if everything goes well at least maybe can save me I-130 processing time. but what if I got my citizenship before I-130 approved and moved to NVC ?

Thank you wantmygcnow ... I think I will start gathering documents if everything goes well at least maybe can save me I-130 processing time. but what if I got my citizenship before I-130 approved and moved to NVC ?

NVC only gets it when your I-130 is approved. Don't worry your I-130 won't be approved soon because currently you are a LPR.