What happens if GC holder is kicked off job

teacher2003

Registered Users (C)
Here is the case:
got my Green card thru employer X in Mar 2004.

. I switched to Employer Y in Nov 2004

. I am still with employer Y, but suddenly due to some rash talks with team mates ,my boss doesn't like me anymore and may fire me soon by making up some reason.

. I have plans to go overseas in next 10 days. If I get fired, I am worried if I can go overseas (for 4 weeks) and return back to US in mid-November without any problems.

. Also , I recently got offer from another company (say company Z).

. Will getting fired have any impact on my immigration status like getting new job at company Z and most importantly my travel overseas, which I have to take up due to family issues

Thanks
Desi guy

Will getting fired have any impact on my immigration status like getting new job at company Z and most importantly my travel overseas, which I have to take up due to family issues

Once you have a GC, your status is no longer tied to your employment (or lack of it).

you have absolutely nothing to worry about as far as your green card is concerned.

Here is the case:
got my Green card thru employer X in Mar 2004.

. I switched to Employer Y in Nov 2004

. I am still with employer Y, but suddenly due to some rash talks with team mates ,my boss doesn't like me anymore and may fire me soon by making up some reason.

. I have plans to go overseas in next 10 days. If I get fired, I am worried if I can go overseas (for 4 weeks) and return back to US in mid-November without any problems.

. Also , I recently got offer from another company (say company Z).

. Will getting fired have any impact on my immigration status like getting new job at company Z and most importantly my travel overseas, which I have to take up due to family issues

Thanks
Desi guy

No
No
No

You are fine. Enjoy your vacation like a free man...just dont get a job there and stay there for a long time

Outside of immigration sphere, getting fired at one place might affect your next job chances negatively. There is something called "employment history" which medium and above scale companies look at before they hire you. There no guarantee that your boss at Y would not tell about you to hr/boss at Z when contacted. It's kind of tricky situation.

Since leaving your PREVIOUS ORIGINAL sponsor after only 6 months GC didn't seem to bother you, why on earth would you be concerned now, after 3 years working for Firm Y, would you be worried?:confused:

Your were in a more precarious position then than now.

If you do not work for a long time being on the the green card it can potentially cause problem for citizenship. They may decide that you do not have good moral character.

Otherwise there is no problem to quit/change jobs unlimited number of times.

If you do not work for a long time being on the the green card it can potentially cause problem for citizenship. They may decide that you do not have good moral character.

Otherwise there is no problem to quit/change jobs unlimited number of times.

Poppycock. Absolute rubbish.

... except to completely repudiate every word you said.

You're back from mars, I see.

Switching jobs immediately after obtaining an employment based GC is not poor moral character; it raises the question of misrepresentation. Unlike poor moral character it does not have a five-year window.

You should be ok. with GC you don't have to show that you have a job. It allows you to stay in US permanently.