What happens if EAD expires and 485 not approved

harapattawaiter

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
I cm curious to know what will happen if EAD is not applied and I 485 dosent get approved by that time. I have responed to my RFE, my EAD is valid till 25th May hasnt applied for EAD. I want to wait till March 15 to see the I 485 status.
Thanks

You will have to stop working until getting approval or EAD. If you are on H1 you should be fine.

Don't wait for I-485 approval. Big mistake!!!!
Apply for EAD renewal ASAP. You can get iEAD only after 90 days of EAD renewal RD. If you are working in EAD and your current one expires then legally you cannot work.
APPLY FOR EAD RENEWAL NOW!

Chances of getting approved by May 25, are pretty good, but by March 15, I doubt it. So, go for renewal now, it only costs you $120 AND you will be tension free.

GOOD LUCK!

:) :) :)

Please note that you could get an IEAD after 90 days only if you do not get an RFE on your EAD renewal. Else 90 days starts from the RFE date.

FYI.. my 3rd EAD renewal is pending for over 4 and 1/2 months now with out an RFE or Approval.

So my advise - Apply EAD Renewal ASAP.

Originally posted by pingpong02
Please note that you could get an IEAD after 90 days only if you do not get an RFE on your EAD renewal. Else 90 days starts from the RFE date.

FYI.. my 3rd EAD renewal is pending for over 4 and 1/2 months now with out an RFE or Approval.

So my advise - Apply EAD Renewal ASAP.

Pingpong2, did you get your iEAD?

But how would my HR come to know that my EAD has expired, I dont think everyday they check whether any document of employee is expired or not

Originally posted by harapattawaiter
But how would my HR come to know that my EAD has expired, I dont think everyday they check whether any document of employee is expired or not

But they put expiration date on top of your file and ask you for the renewal approval.

iEAD

EAD is serious matter, always get the iEAD on 91s day because of RFE or for some states (Baltimore is one) they take another one month to issue iEAD.

HR does know, they asked me one month before the expiration to provide them the new EAD. I was surprised, but they have the info thats what their job is.

If a person applies for H1b then he/she can work on the EAC number does the same applies with EAD also, I belive on EAD person should work if its been applied and person has receipt of it

Also, it's your responsibility to maintain lawful residence-not your HR's. It's illegal to work without a work permit.

Recently I have been to India and while comming back my passport was stamped saying parole till Dec 2004, so I am legal resident till then or till the decission of my I 485

You are paroled until the decision is made. Earlier they use to give I-94 without an expiration date. some time in 2002 (or 2001) they changed the strategy and started to issue I-94 valid for year.

Important date is your AP expiration date. Which may (usually 'will') come before 'Paroled until' date. You cannot use your AP after the expiry.

Let me quote tammy2's first reply:

"You will have to stop working until getting approval or EAD. If you are on H1 you should be fine."

If you work on H1 now, you are fine. Otherwise, you can not work until your I485 get approved or your EAD RENEWAL get approved.

what are my options, to apply for EAD or to wait for I 485 decission, it might get approved before 25 May when my EAD expires

RENEW NOW - SPEND $120 - PEACE OF MIND, OK?

Originally posted by tammy2
You are paroled until the decision is made. Earlier they use to give I-94 without an expiration date. some time in 2002 (or 2001) they changed the strategy and started to issue I-94 valid for year.

Important date is your AP expiration date. Which may (usually 'will') come before 'Paroled until' date. You cannot use your AP after the expiry.

My "Paroled until" date is 5 months after my AP exp date.
The "Paroled until" is exactly one year from the day I entered the county.

If a person applies for H1b then he/she can work on the EAC number does the same applies with EAD also, I belive on EAD person should work if its been applied and person has receipt of it

Portability ONLY applies to H-1s. The ability to work after expriation while an extension is pending only applies to non-immigrant statuses like H, L, O, P and TN. It does NOT apply to EADs.