What happens if EAD expires and 485 not approved

harapattawaiter

Your Option odds are as good as winning a jackpot.
Just apply for EAD Now, as of 25th may expiration date you might as well get a chance to get the IEAD.

As for waiting to get the 485 approve by 25th may ; thats the biggest mistrey of all time.

How about lossing pay for weeks without EAD; instead of spending 120$.

:)

Re: Re: BTW, there's no penalty

Originally posted by TheRealCanadian
Yes there is. That's illegal employment and can mess up an adjustment application.

That's easy to say, but what can you do if you had filed for an EAD more than 90 days back and it still hasn't been approved and your attempt to obtain iEAD has been delayed by none other than USCIS (read stories of people who have been scheduled for an iEAD appointment in the future).

Originally posted by phillygc
Also, it's your responsibility to maintain lawful residence-not your HR's. It's illegal to work without a work permit.

Yeah, tell that to the millions of illegal aliens working without work permit or any visa whatsoever, whom Bush wants to legalize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by TheRealCanadian
Portability ONLY applies to H-1s. The ability to work after expriation while an extension is pending only applies to non-immigrant statuses like H, L, O, P and TN. It does NOT apply to EADs.

Can you point me to an authoritative web site or government document that says that? Thanks.

THE I-9 PROCESS IN A NUTSHELL

page 5

Common example: An EAD (Form I-688B or I-766) is generally valid as evidence of work authorization for one year. The EAD may be renewed by the submission of a new application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Accordingly, a receipt acknowledging such an application is unacceptable.

Apply for EAD rather than waiting to get approval.You will be losing $120.00 but you will have mental peace that you had applied for EAD and can go for work.

My 2nd EAD was expiring on 01/31/04 and didn't get EAD until then. My lawyer told me not to worry as far as I have reciept # for my EAD renewal.

Btw, I got my new EAD today in mail.

Originally posted by fira
My 2nd EAD was expiring on 01/31/04 and didn't get EAD until then. My lawyer told me not to worry as far as I have reciept # for my EAD renewal.

Btw, I got my new EAD today in mail.

Congratulation your lawyer is moron and you was working illegally for two weeks. :(

Re: Re: Re: BTW, there's no penalty

Originally posted by mavishka
That's easy to say, but what can you do if you had filed for an EAD more than 90 days back and it still hasn't been approved and your attempt to obtain iEAD has been delayed by none other than USCIS (read stories of people who have been scheduled for an iEAD appointment in the future).

I make no claims regarding the fairness or unfairness of the situation. All I am saying is that working without authorization is illegal and can cause problems if discovered. It's up to you to decide wether you want to take that risk or not.

Originally posted by mavishka
Can you point me to an authoritative web site or government document that says that? Thanks.

Look for the "American Competetiveness in the 21st Century Act" in 2000 for the statutory language regarding H-1 portability.

The CFRs (Code of Federal Regulations) have a section on the extensibility of work authorization with a pending I-129 extention of petition for alien worker filed. I don't have the section memorized. You can take my word for it or not.

On the flip side, can you provide an authoritative source that says you can work with an expired EAD but a pending extension petition filed? ;)