What happens after you return from "Country of Persecution" with GC:

Lazerthegreat

Registered Users (C)
Well based on several actual real life experiences of various people and advice of some smart attorney's this is what we know and I thought might of interest to all forum members::

When you visit your country of persecution (some people write it "home country" how dumb??? ) after obtaining GC thru Asylum and come back, I/O will do either of these two:

1) If he is new/unknowledgeable/dumb: He will welcome you back with big grin.

2) If he is knowledgeable/seasoned: He will make notes in your file and still let you go.

Please NOTE: You will NOT have any trouble at this time. One way or another, I/O will let you go.

HOWEVER: At citizenship time, they will review your file again. If they see some "notes" on your file from a knowledgeable officer, eye-brows will be raised. You will/could/shall/might be in trouble that day depending upon 4 things:

1. Naturalization officer's mood
2. HIs knowledge about the matter
3. What caused your trip (a sweet vacation vs. sick parent)
4. Again Naturalization officer's mood after you give your explanation

CIS reserves the right to deny citizenship at that time. However they WILL give you a chance for rebuttal. At that time, you would need an attorney to fight your case once again.

hope this makes sense;

I think you are absolutely right.

Even if you have good reason, why lengthen your wait time. It is like, ok, you know the chance of IRS to look at your tax return will dramatically increase if you claim $1,000,000 loss on your "subchapter small business". If so, why don't you form a corporation and move the loss to the company's tax return rather than person return. No one wants to be audited, so why do something putting yourself triggering suspician?

hmm

Very useful information. Not that I am planning to take a trip back home or anything:> How about people who drive to Canada, go whatever the country they want to go to, return to Canada and drive back to U.S? Is the Govt keeping track of that?

Noman74 said:
Very useful information. Not that I am planning to take a trip back home or anything:> How about people who drive to Canada, go whatever the country they want to go to, return to Canada and drive back to U.S? Is the Govt keeping track of that?

"Lolali" once mentioned that while driving back from Canada with GC, he was asked by the I/O whether he visited country of persecution or not..

Lolali! are you there?

i have traveled to canada many times before getting my GC, there was once the IO asking me if i had gone back my country, of course, i did not, so he let me go immediately.

But what about after join in citizenship, are we safe to go back since we will be protected by USA?

...The thing is when you leave Canada to travel internationaly the airline will swipe your passport and the data (after 9/11) goes to DHS. All airlines in US or Canada have to send the info to DHS and I'm told the system can match the name and birthdate (in case someone thinks about using like NP to get out and RTD to get in)

kaoticfury said:
i have traveled to canada many times before getting my GC, there was once the IO asking me if i had gone back my country, of course, i did not, so he let me go immediately.

But what about after join in citizenship, are we safe to go back since we will be protected by USA?

Yes it is ok to go back after citizenship from "entering back into US" point of view. But if you were really persecuted in your country, it is NOT ok to go back for your own safety because when poeple go bonkers in 3rd world countries, they will kill US citizens without any fear. Therefore if you were not safe when you applied for asylum, you should not logically be safe after getting US Citizenship......

(And plz nobody give me crap about country conditions changed blah, blah)

Lazerthegreat said:
"Lolali" once mentioned that while driving back from Canada with GC, he was asked by the I/O whether he visited country of persecution or not..

Lolali! are you there?

Hi Lazer -

As always you are correct! Every time I come back from Canada - and I go there often, I am asked if I have 1) a national passport in my possesion and 2) if I have ever visited my home country after getting asylum.

I have heard of folks who go to Canada and travel from there to a third country but I would advise against that. After 9-11, it is easy for USA to get passenger lists from Canadian authorities if they so wish. And for those of us who have no national passport we would have to travel with our RTDs which would make it even easier for CIS to track us down.

I haven't been overseas since coming to the USA and I figure 2 more years isn't going to kill me. But once I get my citizenship, I am going to be traveling like crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lazerthegreat said:
Noman! Lolali will be made when he will read this.... ;)

LOL :) I would be mad if I had chosen the name!! But since my wife created this logon, I can't be mad... I can see why one would think that I'm a she with this userid. My poor wife...I usurped her account from her. LOL

So Noman - you are safe - I won't be hunting you down. :D

samoel said:
...The thing is when you leave Canada to travel internationaly the airline will swipe your passport and the data (after 9/11) goes to DHS. All airlines in US or Canada have to send the info to DHS and I'm told the system can match the name and birthdate (in case someone thinks about using like NP to get out and RTD to get in)

Very good point Samoel...I tried to say the same thing before reading your reply - but you did a better job. Again, I would advise anyone from trying to trick the CIS - its not worth loosing everything you've built over the past few years.

But what if you are a derivative asylee and the principal was granted asylum based on the fact that he/she is of the nationality that was persecuted in your country and you are of a different nationality and were not persecuted, but received the asylum status based on your marriage to a principal? You should be able to visit, shouldn't you?

karina said:
But what if you are a derivative asylee and the principal was granted asylum based on the fact that he/she is of the nationality that was persecuted in your country and you are of a different nationality and were not persecuted, but received the asylum status based on your marriage to a principal? You should be able to visit, shouldn't you?

Yes! derivatives are fine.

karina said:
Thanks, Lazer.

Do you know of any links to documents in regards to this?

sorry Karina! couldn't find anything. However I have read a memo released by Nebraska Service center which said it's ok for derivatives to travel to their home countries...
anybody has link to that memo???

Thanks

Thanks Lazer, we try.
Did you ask the customer srvc people to initiate an inquiry on your case to NSC since it has been way more than 60 days since they received a response from you? I know its not much but what the heck.
I pray for your quick GC Lazer, you deserve it.