what does the State Dept mean by "US citizen must use a US passport to leave the US"

danny1968

what does the State Dept mean by "US citizen must use a US passport to leave the US"

found in the 4th paragraph of this page, talking about dual nationality:
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

how does one leave the US with a US passport? (e.g. if I check-in for a flight to my home country, the airline will only want to see the home country passport. in that case, am I essentially not leaving the US on a US passport?)

what do you mean the airline will only want to see your passport not the US passport? once you become a citizen that is your passport. do you have a dual citizenship?
even though I don't fully understand your post, travel using US passport only

found in the 4th paragraph of this page, talking about dual nationality:
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

how does one leave the US with a US passport? (e.g. if I check-in for a flight to my home country, the airline will only want to see the home country passport. in that case, am I essentially not leaving the US on a US passport?)

Perhaps they mean "Must leave US with a US passport" for the reason that a US citizen/dual citizen must present a US passport when reentering the US.?
Or, present US passport at airline check in in US, and then present foreign passport at foreign country's customs.?

Each US citizen must have a US passport on his/her person when leaving. This does not neccessarily mean that he/she needs to show his/her US passport at check-in. Last month I flew from Chicago to Toronto. I showed my Canadian passport at check in. I had my US passport in my jacket pocket and thus fulfilled the State Department's requirement. I hope it makes it clear now.

Danny...I know what you mean. Shortly I will be a dual national of the US and UK with two passports. Re your question, if I was traveling from the USA to the UK do I show my US passport to the USA checkin agents to "leave" the USA, or my UK passport since that is the passport I will be using to "enter" the UK.

Personally I think I would show my UK passport, since the checkin agent is really checking you have a valid passport for entry to your destination country, and also because the passport details will be forwarded to the destination country for pre-entry checking. That is also why when you checkin at the foreign country airport desk I would show my US passport. (If the foreign country has exit passport control I would probably show the same passport I used to enter the country so the entry/exit records match).

I think the sentence you quote might be referring to situations where you actuall "leave" the US via a border control station where you need to show a US passport. Not sure where that might happen, perhaps on road connections or sea port exits?

I think it could also be for the future when the agency may have passport controls at exit also. At that pt in time the USC will have to show his/her US pp.