What documents you change with your new name after become USC

baraider

Registered Users (C)
I'm thinking forward.
Now that you become USC, how many documents do you change to update your new name and status?

If you have a child, do you update his/her birth certificate?

I'm thinking forward.
Now that you become USC, how many documents do you change to update your new name and status?

If you have a child, do you update his/her birth certificate?

I'm changing my last name, so I started compiling a list of documents/accounts that will have to be updated. Start with your driver license and move on to SS card, bank/credit card accounts, apartment lease agreement (or mortgage, if you own property), auto loan (if you have one), auto insurance (if you own a vehicle), employee information at your HR department, utility accounts and subscriptions (i.e., magazines, Netflix, etc.). Also, it would be prudent to notify all 3 credit bureaus (TransUnion, Experian and Equifax) of your name change. From what I understand, the credit bureaus will be informed of your name change after you notify the Social Security Administration, but I think it makes sense to inform them anyway, just to be on the safe side. If anyone can think of anything else, please add to this list.

This is actually a very good topic. Perhaps it should be made a sticky?

In addition to the list of stuff Vorpal mentioned, I will have to change the birth certificate of my newborn to show my new name (I will change my first name to an American one).
I want from the day I become USC forward, everything/everyone in my life/family start anew ;)

Make this a sticky(to Mods of this forum), and compile a full list Vorpal - Good idea. Will be useful for some folks who may need it.

I thought one cannot change their last name which is the family surname. It is forever valid for a man but usually women change theirs after marriage.
What are the reasons that people change their names? specially the last name? Are you trying to fit in more by adopting an English last name?

A last name (or first name, for that matter) can be changed any time you want to change it.

I "fit in" quite well already. However, I'm changing my last name so I don't have to spell it every time someone asks me for my name. It's as simple as that and has nothing to do with "adopting" or "fitting in".

The first name to an American one. Which country are you from? What first name are you changing yours too? Are you changing first name of your newborns also?
I'm from Asia so I'm changing my first name to a more typical American name (think Andrew, Michael, etc).
Besides, I have used that American name as a nick name for years and all of my friends know me as that name so it's ideal to officially change to that first name.
As for my baby, he already has american first name, I just need to officially change my name on the certificate to reflect my new American name.

I often wonder that too.
More about convenience.
Many people by the time they file for N400 have lived in this country for many years and more or less assimilated into the culture here. They are known for years by their friends by John, Mike despite their real names as Xin, Chu, et
The name change is just to make official their adopted names.
If you have a hard-to-pronounce first/last names, it's easier to change to an easier name.

Nice user
Napoelan Einstein is a Indian Junior (under 19) cricket player part of the team that won the world junior championship recently. It was the name he was given/ baptised with by his parents not a name he adopted/changed to. ( better combination than albert bonaparte if you ask me!)

I'm not sure why. Most people don't change their names on becoming citizens. Why would they?

Well in my case I hate my name and last name, I wanted to change it , even my dad wanted to change his name which we have the same, but I think is a lot of paperwork to be process... and I got lazy and didn't change it.

So why not change your names to one you like in your native language. Why American? Vorpal could change his name to one that is easier to spell/pronounce but the new names could be picked up from russian language.
I feel that if you change your names - first/last to one that is in a different language - it takes away your identity a bit. Its affects your cultural identity.
It helps diminish memories of the place you came from.

I know you may not want to understand this, but some people may want to forget their past and may identify more with America than where they came from.

I get what you are saying and feel the same to some degree, but I also realize that not everyone thinks and feels the same as I do.

To each his/her own.

So why not change your names to one you like in your native language. Why American? Vorpal could change his name to one that is easier to spell/pronounce but the new names could be picked up from russian language.
I feel that if you change your names - first/last to one that is in a different language - it takes away your identity a bit. Its affects your cultural identity.
It helps diminish memories of the place you came from.

Well , I'm not saying you HAVE to change it to an American name, nor I'm trying to convince Vorpal which name he has to choose. As for memories from the place I came from, believe me I would like to diminish some of them, and the good ones will always live with me no matter what name I choose.

I know you may not want to understand this, but some people may want to forget their past and may identify more with America than where they came from.

I get what you are saying and feel the same to some degree, but I also realize that not everyone thinks and feels the same as I do.

To each his/her own.

Very good point

Let me see...because I FEEL like changing it to a more western sounding name?:)

Last time I checked, a person's name didn't really have much to do with their cultural identity....just ask Napoleon Einstein! :)

CrossHairs, I definitely agree with you on that one...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you want to change into a more western sounding one unless you want to fit more? There are plenty of Russian names that are very easy to spell and pronounce. There goes the only reason that you gave for name change in your previous post.
Napoleon einstein is an anomaly. He is a christian from an Southern Indian state. Some of those people will change their names if it gets them a dime.
Of course, a name is part of person's cultural identity. It reminds them of the places, culture they came from. It is part of their identity, something that reminds them of their homeland and memories that they brought with them.

famous example of people changing their last name in America:
Vito Andolini to Vito Corleone , and later Vito Andolini Corleone. :)

Let me see...because I FEEL like changing it to a more western sounding name?:)

Last time I checked, a person's name didn't really have much to do with their cultural identity....just ask Napoleon Einstein! :)

CrossHairs, I definitely agree with you on that one...

G1 just wont stop the incessant questioning no matter the avatar :rolleyes:
ROFL!