What are the benefits of greencard

pswami

Registered Users (C)
Now that I have a greencard I am trying to explore what are its benefits.

Aside from being able to enter the country without visa and being able to change any job without work visa, what are the other benefits?

Can I get a better home loan now?

Can I sponsor my brother sister parents from my home country now?

anything else that with benefit me as a greencard holder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I have a greencard I am trying to explore what are its benefits.

Aside from being able to enter the country without visa and being able to change any job without work visa, what are the other benefits?

Can I get a better home load now?

Can I sponsor my brother sister parents from my home country now?

anything else that with benefit me as a greencard holder?

First of all you will not be deported and you do not need sponsors.

If to compare the "intermediate status" AOS I-485 pending more than 180 days, I would find following significant benefits:

1. Opportunity to get FAFSA (government financial aid for education),
I-485 is not eligible for that. Also if not FAFSA - scholarship or student loans (with low percentage)

2. If you are scientist and wants to get grants you can get any of them.
In case if you do not have green card you could get up to 50k.

3. You can go to some coutries without visa but with valid your natioanla
passport - US, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Swizerland (I am sure if it is possible today)
4. Many of colleges consider instate tution fee for green card holders or citizens

One more benefit is that you can participate and win money in lottery.

Big lottery money are not allowed for non-permanent resident

Where did you hear such an idea? Besides, only fools play the lottery.

I do not know what you meant saying "only fools play the lottery".
I addvise you to read rules all big lotteries in US all of of them changed rules saying: "you need to be older than NN years old and be permanent resident"

Unless they committed fraud in the naturalization process, no.

You are wrong !!!! if you think that only "fraud in the naturalization " the reason to loose citizenship.
I remember several myself:
1. getting citizenship of other country
2. serving in foreign army
3. participation in foreign elections
4. if you renounce one publicly
and several else....

Altough they do not say directly "crime" is the reason but I am sure they
will be not tollerant to the criminals who were naturalized.

I am not sure if not paying taxes could be the reason

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know what you meant saying "only fools play the lottery".

Do the math; the EV is significantly less than 1.

I addvise you to read rules all big lotteries in US all of of them changed rules saying: "you need to be older than NN years old and be permanent resident"

Well, here's PowerBall: http://www.illinoislottery.com/subsections/mmRules.htm Doesn't say a thing. Most require you to be a "legal US resident", but nothing more.

You are wrong !!!! if you think that only "fraud in the naturalization " the reason to loose citizenship.
I remember several myself:
1. getting citizenship of other country
2. serving in foreign army
3. participation in foreign elections
4. if you renounce one publicly
and several else....

Even most of these have been discarded by the courts, certainly #1 and #3. Including #4 is just silly.

Although they do not say directly "crime" is the reason but I am sure they
will be not tollerant to the criminals who were naturalized.

If they don't say it directly, then they cannot do it! Stop confusing your own personal opinions with the law.

I am not sure if not paying taxes could be the reason

Please, please please stop. You're wrong. Again.

Other benefits:
1) In Florida, the GC lets you claim homestead status for the purposes of property taxes, thus lower taxes, and you are eligible for the "Save Our Home Value Law"

2) The GC lets you be a sponsor for someone who is applying for the DV lottery.

Do the math; the EV is significantly less than 1.

Well, here's PowerBall: http://www.illinoislottery.com/subsections/mmRules.htm Doesn't say a thing. Most require you to be a "legal US resident", but nothing more.

I am sure if you win millions being on the temporary visa they will have their own understanding of "legal US resident".

Even most of these have been discarded by the courts, certainly #1 and #3. Including #4 is just silly.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/Citizenship_2004.pdf

Just read Section V Loss of Citizenship.
The fact that people challenged revocation in the court does not prove that law does not work. (They may had their own circumstances considered by judge)

If they don't say it directly, then they cannot do it! Stop confusing your own personal opinions with the law.
Please, please please stop. You're wrong. Again.

It is you who confusing with your opinion saying kind of "There is law .... but that can be challenged in the court"

I am sure if you win millions being on the temporary visa they will have their own understanding of "legal US resident".

Don't be dense. There's clear definitions in law. Your home country may have an arbitrary legal system, but the US does not.

The fact that people challenged revocation in the court does not prove that law does not work. (They may had their own circumstances considered by judge)

Again, the judge considers the law and the Constitution and there is clear case law throwing out most restrictions on naturalized citizens.