Waiting Asylum decision

Hello Guys
Hope every one is doing good. Please I want to find out that who is familiar with how when you petition for your wife it works?
Because My Asylum was granted and I petition for my wife and today I received a received mail and when I checked the status online it said fees were waived. Please does this also means that she has been granted as well?
Thank you
Your wife's case hasn't been approved yet. "Fees were waived" in I-730 means that you are not going to pay fees for her application because you have been granted asylum. For processing, if your case number is at Nebraska office, it will take 9 to 12 month. If it is at Texas service center, it will take 12 to 15 month. Her case now is waiting in the line, and when her turn comes, they will send you that the case has been scheduled for an interview. If she is in US, the interview will be in USCIS office. If she's overseas, the interview will be in the US embassy. After the interview they will decide if she is eligible for asylee derivative status or not. They mainly check if the marriage still exists. Then they will approve the status for her if she in the states or she will get a visa to enter the states as Asylee derivative if she is overseas.
Finally, after one year of getting asylee derivative, she can apply for a permanent residence.

Last edited:
Your wife's case hasn't been approved yet. "Fees were waived" in I-730 means that you are not going to pay fees for her application because you have been granted asylum. For processing, if your case number is at Nebraska office, it will take 9 to 12 month. If it is at Texas service center, it will take 12 to 15 month. Her case now is waiting in the line, and when her turn comes, they will send you that the case has been scheduled for an interview. If she is in US, the interview will be in USCIS office. If she's overseas, the interview will be in the US embassy. After the interview they will decide if she is eligible for asylee derivative status or not. They mainly check if the marriage still exists. Then they will approve the status for her if she in the states or she will get a visa to enter the states as Asylee derivative if she is overseas.
Finally, after one year of getting asylee derivative, she can apply for a permanent residence.
Apt. Thanks for the information

Hi friends, Has anyone called newark office to ask about pending decision? I once called a number and there was automatic reply saying my case is pending . Is there anyway we can call and talk to an officer or anybody and ask about our case? Thanks

Hi friends, Has anyone called newark office to ask about pending decision? I once called a number and there was automatic reply saying my case is pending . Is there anyway we can call and talk to an officer or anybody and ask about our case? Thanks
It's a waste of time trying to call them. They will just tell you it is pending and you will have to just wait it out.

How long ur case was pending? I am at Newark too

Hi, anyone who has applied for Asylum in Newark Office on or around September/2017? Has anyone from around that time been interviewed?

My case is in Pending from 2015 they changed my case Texas to arlington va center they didn’t called me for interview yet. Any latest news? share your stories plz

Hi guys, I did my interview back in mid-March 2018 at the Newark office, and I was told there was going to be a decision within two weeks, but it ended up as "we will mail the decision to you" and I haven’t heard back from the office since then. Two months ago I visited the office and they just told me "the case was currently under review". the heck... it's been under review for 600 days? Any idea of what's happening here? BTW I'm in F-1 status but my visa is going to expire in May.

Also, should I keep going to the asylum office and ask about my case? I worry that if I go too frequently the office might get pissed off...

Thank you all for responding.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I did my interview back in mid-March 2018 at the Newark office, and I was told there was going to be a decision within two weeks, but it ended up as "we will mail the decision to you" and I haven’t heard back from the office since then. Two months ago I visited the office and they just told me "the case was currently under review". the heck... it's been under review for 600 days? Any idea of what's happening here? BTW I'm in F-1 status but my visa is going to expire in May.

Also, should I keep going to the asylum office and ask about my case? I worry that if I go too frequently the office might get pissed off...

Thank you all for responding.
Please review threads on this forum. Take the time to check, you will learn a lot. For example, one of the threads says that there are no/barely any decisions being made at Newark, all the officers are at the Mexico border dealing with cases there. Therefore, you will probably not hear from them about your case, for a while. I wish you good luck with your case.

Hi Guys

My father's asylum status shows today that "decision was mailed. "

It also says that USCIS portion of EAD clock is currently stopped. What it could mean?

Please help we are so worried

Hi, when I’m checking my case online its showing you finger review was complete on 30 August i got EAD on bottom showing Next steps)
We will prepare your case for officer review. If we need more information, what does it mean?

Hi Guys

My father's asylum status shows today that "decision was mailed. "

It also says that USCIS portion of EAD clock is currently stopped. What it could mean?

Please help we are so worried

It means that your father has been approved!, congratulation! Now could you tell us when was his interview? And what is his Asylum Office?

My friend applied for asylum about 5 years ago. Luckily about 5 months ago his online status changed to " Decision mailed" and he received a recommended approval letter after a very long time of waiting for a decision. He still waiting for the final approve till today.

The weird thing his online status changed back 2 days ago to "Decision is Pending"
Is this mean something like they changed their minds or someone working on his file and he will get his final approve soon or maybe just a glitch in the system.
Any ideas!

My friend applied for asylum about 5 years ago. Luckily about 5 months ago his online status changed to " Decision mailed" and he received a recommended approval letter after a very long time of waiting for a decision. He still waiting for the final approve till today.

The weird thing his online status changed back 2 days ago to "Decision is Pending"
Is this mean something like they changed their minds or someone working on his file and he will get his final approve soon or maybe just a glitch in the system.
Any ideas!
They never change their minds. Please, use the online status for reference only...the status can change a million times to pending, to case not found, to wrong case number, to waiting for biometrics, to whatever. That doesn't matter. Call or go to a field office to get the real details about your case. Thank you.

Please review threads on this forum. Take the time to check, you will learn a lot. For example, one of the threads says that there are no/barely any decisions being made at Newark, all the officers are at the Mexico border dealing with cases there. Therefore, you will probably not hear from them about your case, for a while. I wish you good luck with your case.

Thank you so much 7of9!
So there is really nothing we can do at this point huh. Today I received the answer from my email inquiry which I sent last week. The annoying thing is the feedback was exactly the same as what I got last time at the in-person inquiry: "your case is under review."
Do you know if pending asylum applicants can use the infopass system? In other words, I recently found out that there is a USCIS Newark Field Office, but I'm just not sure if the field would be able to help regarding my case.
Also, has anyone had the experience of communicating with the director of the asylum office directly? Today I found the email address of the director but I don't know if I should reach out. Thank you all!

Hi.. On October 26, Sunday my father's status changed to fees was waived off. But now everytime I put his receipt number it says user defined error and nothing else shows up. I kept checking all day but it showed the same error msg. Now we are very worried . Did they changed fees waiver status by mistake? Need help please

Hi.. On October 26, Sunday my father's status changed to fees was waived off. But now everytime I put his receipt number it says user defined error and nothing else shows up. I kept checking all day but it showed the same error msg. Now we are very worried . Did they changed fees waiver status by mistake? Need help please
This completely normal. The user defined error happens when they update the system with the new status. Some people in this forum reported the same. After few days it will return back to fees were waived. The most important now is to keep your eyes on your mail. Your father will receive his decision and I-94 after few days. Congratulations.

This completely normal. The user defined error happens when they update the system with the new status. Some people in this forum reported the same. After few days it will return back to fees were waived. The most important now is to keep your eyes on your mail. Your father will receive his decision and I-94 after few days. Congratulations.
It is still the same. Do you have any idea how long should it take the decision to reach my mail box