Waiting Asylum decision

I am filing for asylum with unauthorized employment.Need help.

Hi everyone,
I am about to file for asylum.I came to the U.S on F-1 and attended a semester then stopped.I have been working off-campus with my social security.Will my asylum be denied because of that?I was advised to not mention it on the form but am scared they might find out.should I do it that way or mention it in the form?PLEASE HELP.

I am about to file for asylum.I came to the U.S on F-1 and attended a semester then stopped.I have been working off-campus with my social security.Will my asylum be denied because of that?I was advised to not mention it on the form but am scared they might find out.should I do it that way or mention it in the form?PLEASE HELP.

First of all please remember, and I am talking for myself, this is a public forum and I am not an attorney authorized to advise anyone. You should ask that to an immigration lawyer. However, my common sense tells me you were doing something illegal because your F-1 must had been canceled as soon as you stop studying and on top of that you were working without authorization. Even though, according to the information in the USCIS site if you are really in danger and your reasons to apply make you eligible you can apply for Asylum even if you are illegal. See the Q&A section in the USCIS site (I can not attach any link). I do not know if the fact you have been working illegally is a felony so that would not affect the decision but they can put you in removal process and if your case was denied you may be deported.

My advice is review the Q&A section and asks an attorney.

Good luck

I am filing for asylum with unauthorized employment.Need help.

Hi everyone,

This seems to be a serious issue, from my point of view if you're trying to hide something and then they discovered it themselves I think it could affect for the credibility of your case, any way I advise you to find an adept lawyer better than sorry.good luck

Its been almost 2months but i haven't had any results for from my interview and 150days has passed since filing for asylum.

hi everyone i see everybody in same page on mine. But i just applied asylum and waiting for decision. Did any you got decision yet if so what was the time line. My wife applied for it and im her dependent. We had interview on May 10. its not been 2 weeks yet, should i wait for two week or expect longer delay. We both are in status she is student and im in H1b. As i am trying to have new job with EAD i will get. Also if decision doesnt come after 150 days do i also eligible to apply for EAD along with my wife?

hi everyone i see everybody in same page on mine. But i just applied asylum and waiting for decision. Did any you got decision yet if so what was the time line. My wife applied for it and im her dependent. We had interview on May 10. its not been 2 weeks yet, should i wait for two week or expect longer delay. We both are in status she is student and im in H1b. As i am trying to have new job with EAD i will get. Also if decision doesnt come after 150 days do i also eligible to apply for EAD along with my wife?

At the end of the interview did they told you to come back to pick up the decision in two weeks or to wait the mail?

hi everyone i see everybody in same page on mine. But i just applied asylum and waiting for decision. Did any you got decision yet if so what was the time line. My wife applied for it and im her dependent. We had interview on May 10. its not been 2 weeks yet, should i wait for two week or expect longer delay. We both are in status she is student and im in H1b. As i am trying to have new job with EAD i will get. Also if decision doesnt come after 150 days do i also eligible to apply for EAD along with my wife??

Since you guys are in status, same as I am, they should have given a paper to you wife indicating that you must wait the decision on your case by mail. If you see all the thread, you will notice that most of the people in status have to wait longer because we have the last priority, if your status is about to expire could be different. I don’t want to disappoint you but all the people I have spoken with, that are in the same situation, have been waiting for a long time. I am just in my 85th day and tomorrow will be almost 60 days after my interview without any answer yet. I am trying to forget about the answer and focusing on my countdown to the 150th. day to apply for my EAD. And yes, all derivatives can apply for the EAD after the day 150.
Good luck and keep us posted.

I-589 Received: 28-Feb-11
Biometrics done: 17-Mar-11
Interviewed: 28-Mar-11

Today is: 24-May-11
# of days passed: 85
Day 150 is on: 28-Jul-11 (so not there yet)
Days to go 65

I am also on the same boat ,have a legal visa status and it's been more than 150 days have not heard from AO office.The only hope we have is our lawyer keep us posted on weekly basis.But it is very difficult waiting and some days we really feel very disappointed.Feel totally helpless.Only god can help come out of the situation.God bless all in waiting process.

Hi everyone! I need help.. if anyone knows anything please answer i would appreciate so much.. the story goes like this:
in march 2011 i applied for asylum. after 2 weeks i got the papers back because of some mistakes - to correct them, and same day i got fingerprints appointment notice. i corrected the mistakes and sent the papers back. april 1st gave me fingerprints. but since i didn't get anything. I didn't receive receipt notice but i know they got the papers. 2 weeks ago i called USCIS and they told me that I'm in system but they can't tell me more and to call office in NY. I called the office in NY and they told me they can't tell me anything over the phone i have to mail the information.. which i did and still nothing.. now i don't know what to do.. my visa will expire soon. people are telling me that I'm legal while my case is pending but i don't know since i didn't receive receipt notice. any answers?
thank you

do you have a lawyer?did you send them by postal mail. Try faxing it.And also if you have got your fingerprint you already have a A number,I had a bad experience receiving my letter.And i was interviewed without a letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for your answer! i do have A number. that's how she found me in system. it's bothering me because without receipt i can't see what's going on with my case and how long will i wait for interview. and of course no answers from NY asylum office about my chase. i guess i have to continue to call them.

Fax them about the case and A# and your contact number .They generally get back within two working days or ask your lawyer to fax.My lawyer faxed and she got answer within two days.Hope this helps

Hi guys i got approval letter today, i m very happy and pray for you guys as well to get your approval letter soon, it was really a hard time to wait for asylum result. Each day and night me and my wife were praying and today is our waiting time over,our prayers with you guys you will get your asylum approval soon too, it took us get result about exactly 3 months after my interview, so be patient and pray , when my interview done AO told me to pick your decision after two weeks from same office then i got notice within two weeks that i don't have to go to pick my decision they will send me by mail so today i have received my approval letter package with employment authorization card , i can't describe my feelings right now only i can say thanks God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i know who is waiting for their result how hard it is, Our prayer for you guys be patient and never give up on God.........................

Good Luck...and pray for us so that we too can share this joy.My mom passed away in my home country and could not go home to see her for final good buys.Wish you good luck.

Fax them about the case and A# and your contact number .They generally get back within two working days or ask your lawyer to fax.My lawyer faxed and she got answer within two days.Hope this helps

i already did but no answer. I'll go to the office.. thanks

Hello everybody! I got my employment card today but I havent received my approval letter yet? :)

Hi everyone! This is mi first post, I've been reading this forum and following your stories for months now, I really wish you all receive your approval letter soon!

I writing here now because I had my Asylum Interview last Thursday, and I would like to share my experience and if possible get a feedback from you.
First of all I'd like to talk a little about myself. I'm Venezuelan, and I had to get out of the country because I was being persecuted, threatened and even beaten several times for political reasons. I have several proofs for my case and everything is well documented, I included all that in my application papers with help from my lawyer.

Anyway, as I told you before, last Thursday was my Interview in the Miami Asylum Office, and I have to say, it was one of the most frustrating things I've had to do in my life.
The AO was the rudest, loudest, unpleasant, obnoxious woman I've ever meet, she even yelled at me, a couple of times.
The interview last three hours long, she was angry even before we entered on her office, she told my translator in a rude way that nobody told her that we were waiting downstairs, and now she has lost a half an hour of her precious time (go figure). During the interview she tried to confuse me, she asked several times all the dates of the events in my case in different order, she asked me to tell her every date I've had entered the US before, every date I began working in different jobs back in Venezuela, every date I began studying in elementary, college, university, and all from memory. She shook her head several times with a "NO" gesture and a stubborn face while I was answering her questions and she was typing on her computer. She interrupted my answers a lot of times in a rude way just to ask me the same question again or some detail she omitted when she interrupted me before. She made ridiculous questions about every single detail in my story, she told me I had her confused several times, she ask me in a loud voice if my papers were real because she doubted about them, she questioned every seal or stamp, every signature in my proofs. Of course all my paper were real, and fortunately I was able to gave her right answers to every question she ask, even when she asked me in a rude way.

I felt so wasted, so abused and frustrated by the end of the three hour long interview, that by that time I was sure I was gonna be rejected when I receive the letter, because of this woman's attitude. After we got out of the building, I asked my translator how did she think I did it on my interview, and she told me with a smile (God bless her) that I was perfect. I didn't quite understood that in the moment. She told me that she had several interviews with that same AO as a translator before, and that all the time she was pretending to be mad at me, just to got me nervous, stressed and doubtful of my answers. She told me that I was very sure of my answers, and I always gave her the correct dates and straight answers to every detail she asked me, and that was just the way to have a successful interview with her. She told me that this AO always had some excuse to "be angry" with the applicants, and she always was rude, loud and obnoxious, she even made a couple of people cry before during their interviews and asked them in a sarcastic way "you're crying because you're lying, right?". She told me that this AO was a very intelligent woman, and that was just her "character" to break people down, and when she can't find any inconsistencies between the interview, the testimony and the papers, she always approve the applications. I couldn't be more shocked and relieve when she told me all this, and gave me a lot of hope for my case.

Now I understand her "character", but I think there are different ways to get there. I had to leave all behind in my country because I was being persecuted, and I came here all alone, to try to build a new and better future for myself, and the last thing I needed was someone to yelled at me and talk to me as I was not worth anything, or if I was asking her for her charity.

I know I'm not the only one that has been treated like this. I would like you to share your experiences with me, to see if someone have a similar interview story, and I hope that my experience helps other people preparing for their interviews.

The waiting is hard after that kind of interview, but thanks God the process has been fast so far since I sent the application (as you can see in my signature), but now I just have to wait for the mail response to my case.

Thank you for reading this, and I'll pray for all of you, so you can get your approval letter soon.
Take care people! :)