Visting Canada with only the Green Card

CyrusD

Registered Users (C)
I have heard that, starting this year, all returning US citizens must present their passports on the port of entry. I am not sure what the requirement is for Permanent Residents. I have a plastic Green Card, but the passport from my native country has expired. I could apply for the passport to be renewed, but it takes very long (in the case of my native country) - and i need to visit Canada urgently. Would i be able to return to the US simply by presenting my Green Card at the border crossing? I should have mentioned that i will be driving to Canada through the Detroit/Windsor crossing.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I would be travelling to Canada with my parents this month. I am a US GC holder but my parents are just on a US tourist Visa. My parents have also gotten a tourist visa for Canada. Now here are my doubts:

1) Would it be OK for us to simply drive into Canada via Toronto?

2) I am planning to visit Montreal, Toronto and hopefully Ottawa. Would it be better to first enter Toronto and then travel to Montreal or would I be OK to travel first to Toronto, come back to US and then take a separate trip to Montreal after a week? Would it matter?

3) What documents do i need to show at the port of entry? Just my GC and my parents passports with Canadian Tourist Visa stamps on them or anything else?

4) I also have an Candian immigrant stamp on my passport as well as Candian PR Card. I got them back in July 2004 - have been to Canada just once since then for 2 days. What should I do about my Candian PR Card and the immigrant stamp on my passport? Is there anything that I should worry about? Are there any specific questions that can be asked about these?

Experts please suggest....

1) Would it be OK for us to simply drive into Canada via Toronto?

Since Toronto is not on the border this may prove difficult. :) You can certainly enter via land at Niagara Falls, Detroit/Windsor or Port Huron/Sarnia, though.

Would it be better to first enter Toronto and then travel to Montreal or would I be OK to travel first to Toronto, come back to US and then take a separate trip to Montreal after a week? Would it matter?

Why would you want to take seperate trips and do that much more driving?

[quite]What documents do i need to show at the port of entry? Just my GC and my parents passports with Canadian Tourist Visa stamps on them or anything else?[/quote]

Yes.

I also have an Candian immigrant stamp on my passport as well as Candian PR Card. I got them back in July 2004 - have been to Canada just once since then for 2 days. What should I do about my Candian PR Card and the immigrant stamp on my passport?

Give back the PR Card, since you've obviously abandoned Canadian permanent residency?

Thanks RealCanadian - so here is what I understand - I can just drive into Toronto (via Niagara Falls) with my parents. At the border I need to show them my US GC and alongwith it I need to hand them over my Canadian GC and then let them know that I need to abandon my Canadian PR status. Is that it? Kindly let me know if there is something else that I am missing.

Thanks

Thanks RealCanadian - so here is what I understand - I can just drive into Toronto (via Niagara Falls) with my parents. At the border I need to show them my US GC
-----------------------when enter Canada your parents will show Canada visa in passports and you will show your GC and let then know that you have Canada PR and want to Abandon Canada PR status (even if you Abandoned not staying in Canada 2 years in any 5 years, PR status does not get automaticaly Abandoned you have to fill the form and officer will write report that you are no more PR of Canada and give you a copy) while enter US show your GC.
and alongwith it I need to hand them over my Canadian GC and then let them know that I need to abandon my Canadian PR status. Is that it?
--------------Yes
Kindly let me know if there is something else that I am missing.

Thanks
--------------------

--------------------

One more question -

My parents would be coming to US on a 6-month tourist Visa and would also have a temporary Canadian visitor visa stamped on their passport. So to enter into Canada from US they will show thei Cnadian Visa. But while coming back from Canada into US - would the same US 6-month tourist visa be still valid and would they be allowed to enter again into US from Canada or would they have to apply gain for a tourist visa from Canada?

Also what if they had a multiple -entry 6-month US Visa?

Thanks