Visitor visa expiration and I-94 validity

BlueOysterCult

Registered Users (C)
Hello:

My parents' visitor visas will expire a couple of months AFTER they enter the US. Will the immigration officer at the port of entry take this into consideration and issue an I-94 with a validity of just until the visa expires (ie. for just a couple of months)? Or is it a usual practice for IO to issue an I-94 for a full 6 month validity period regardless of when the visa expires after entering the US? My parents were always given I-94 valid for 6 months in the past and they have a 10 year visitor visa that will expire soon.

Thanks in advance.

Be a little careful here. The visa can be used until the last day of its validity. How much time the admitting officer grants is totally independent of the visa expiry date. It may not be necessarily 6 months.

They will up to 6 month granted regardless.

Thanks.

Do you guys (or anyone else) know of cases where the immigration officer at the port of entry granted a 6 month I-94 despite the visa expiring in 2 months from the date of arrival into US, for example?

My maternal uncle had 3 weeks left on his visa's validity and got a full 6 months on his I-94 when he visited me in 2006.