Visited by ICE

Soul01

Registered Users (C)
A brief summury of my case.
Married to a USC 5 years ago, filed adjustment of status in 2006. Case been pending since. Filed mandamus in November 2009 and was visited by ICE at home about 2 weeks ago.
They came on a Wednesday about 11am. My wife and I were at work but we had a relative stayin at the house.
They talked to him and inquired bout us; he told them we were at work, then they asked for my wife's phone number. They never asked to come inside the house.
Later on that day they called my wife and left her a message to call them back.
My wife called the next day. The officer asked if we lived at that adress, how long we lived there, where do we both work, what is our work schedule, if I had a degree, what is my position at work, and hers, did we have any kids, how many times did we move, who was the person they talked to when they came, and what is my phone number.
My wife answered all the questions. The officer thank her for calling and said "I will transfer your information and file to THEM and they MIGHT call you again for more information".
What I wanna know is who was she referring to by saying THEM???
Thanks for your input

What was the reason of your delay (If you don't mind)? If you had filed mandamus since last November, weren't they supposed to make a decision within two months of the lawsuit?

Thanks for your answers, and I apologize for the delay.
Triple Citizen, I think u're right.
Malpat, The reason for the delay is fraud, but we still dont know why. U're right about the mandamus but our lawyer wanted to wait it out and never filed the motion for default judgement. He thinks that he can work things out with AUSA and USCIS. Matter of fact, I am finally scheduled for a 2nd interview next month, 4 years after the 1st one.
My 1st interview went well I thought even though we got seperated and asked very personal crazy questions, the 2nd one is not gonna be any better am afraid, but we're ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. I say be patient for one more year or so and then filed a mandamus lawsuit, USCIS will be forced to work on ur case. Meanwhile, contact congressman, senators, white house, FBI if name check, ombudsman and USCIS, make sure u keep documentation for everything, this will help if u file lawsuit.

Thanks a lot. I say be patient for one more year or so and then filed a mandamus lawsuit, USCIS will be forced to work on ur case.
That would be wasting a year for no good reason. After having already waited for 2 years, malpat should file WOM ASAP (after doing the obligatory contacting of Congressman/Senator and Ombudsman for assistance, to show the court that reasonable attempts were made to resolve it before filing the lawsuit).

That would be wasting a year for no good reason. After having already waited for 2 years, malpat should file WOM ASAP (after doing the obligatory contacting of Congressman/Senator and Ombudsman for assistance, to show the court that reasonable attempts were made to resolve it before filing the lawsuit).

I don't think it is a waste time as you said. From my research and after talking to a few different lawyers, the general consensus is to wait 3 years after marriage or about 2 years after 1st interview, court tend to be a bit more lenient towards the lawsuit.

I don't think it is a waste time as you said. From my research and after talking to a few different lawyers, the general consensus is to wait 3 years after marriage or about 2 years after 1st interview, court tend to be a bit more lenient towards the lawsuit.

i have been reading through some other website and found out that the best way out for marriage base petition after the interview and its 6month after the date of notice contact your congressmen.it has worked for a lot of people, you do not keep people life on a stand.i have seen over 10 people do it and a month after the get touch and case will resume maximum 2month they get Gc production email.the congress office will even start mail them on case update eg we have contacted them,you case is been process ,you have been granted etc they no all this even before the card production mail comes.you do not have to wait,they are some job that they will not allow EAD people to have.

It's easy for them to say to wait that long, as they aren't the ones having to put their lives on hold.

For a case based on marriage to a USC, 27-30 months (the 2 years already waited by malpat, plus 3-6 months to give the Congressman/Senator/Ombudsman a chance to act) is definitely enough for the courts not to say it was filed too soon.

It's easy for them to say to wait that long, as they aren't the ones having to put their lives on hold.

For a case based on marriage to a USC, 27-30 months (the 2 years already waited by malpat, plus 3-6 months to give the Congressman/Senator/Ombudsman a chance to act) is definitely enough for the courts not to say it was filed too soon.

it takes 1 month or less now, now i said instead of waiting for years after interview,the congress will not attend to you if u haven't made any attempt,you must have made info pass like 5x and almost a year has passed by,go online or visit the office of your congressman and they will get back to you but remember doing this will make the uscis staff angry,but your case will be attended to simple,.listen friend its a government office people do things there way,you file might even been lost and you will be at home waiting for nothing.good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. I say be patient for one more year or so and then filed a mandamus lawsuit, USCIS will be forced to work on ur case. Meanwhile, contact congressman, senators, white house, FBI if name check, ombudsman and USCIS, make sure u keep documentation for everything, this will help if u file lawsuit.

Did you get approved at your first interview?

i have been reading through some other website and found out that the best way out for marriage base petition after the interview and its 6month after the date of notice contact your congressmen.it has worked for a lot of people, you do not keep people life on a stand.i have seen over 10 people do it and a month after the get touch and case will resume maximum 2month they get Gc production email.the congress office will even start mail them on case update eg we have contacted them,you case is been process ,you have been granted etc they no all this even before the card production mail comes.you do not have to wait,they are some job that they will not allow EAD people to have.

realcool1, a lot of people is not the majority. I do see ur point though but unfortunately I am the exception that proves the rule, or I should say my rule; been waitin 5 years now, noone was able to help, not even the congressman, the response I got from them was case is under review, please wait another 6 month to contact us again if no updates.
I can't even tell u how many times I was told after a job interview that I couldn't have the job because I wasnt a permanent resident, so I've been there.

Jackolantern, I completely agree but arent they supposed to have ur best interest at heart and represent u to the best of their ability. Its not easy to wait but they are the experts and I think that one should consider taking their advices or at least keep that in mind for one's next move.
As I said 2 years after the interview, considering that u waited about 6 month after the initial filing up to the interview, I believe this is reasonable.

Did you get approved at your first interview?

Well, the mistake we've made after the first interview was to never inquire about their decision but we thought we had it in the bag because, the IO asked us if we were going to travel out of the country and we said that we were plannin on travelin to my home in a couple of month then the IO said "you will definitelly hear from us way before that" and that is a quote. We then assumed that we were approved but we werent obviously but I'll make sure I ask after the 2nd interview.

So far, you been to the interview 2 times? After the first time, your case got delayed? That's why you filed the mandamus?

My lawyer also said wait for a year or so before filing the lawsuit. We did contact both senators, our congressman, ombudsman and an infopass appointment all to no avail. They keep saying the case is "under further background review". I have the documentation of everything.

I totally agree. My case was filed around Nov. of 2007 and our interview was Feb. of 08. All I have is EAD and I got to renew that plus my DL yearly. They can literally put your life on hold, it's ridiculous. Without a green card, I can't work many places, can't travel freely out of the US, can't get federal grants/loans etc. It's really frustrating.

So after your 1st interview, the ICE came to the house? Is that typical though?

immbie, yes they came 4 years after the 1st interview. Typical yes if they doubt the validity of ur marriage.

My lawyer also said wait for a year or so before filing the lawsuit. We did contact both senators, our congressman, ombudsman and an infopass appointment all to no avail. They keep saying the case is "under further background review". I have the documentation of everything.

malpat, I would suggest u to contact the white house as well, it worked for some, wait til u get a response from them and if it's not moving ur case any, go ahead and file the lawsuit. Also, if u havent done so already call the 800 number ask to speak with an IO, thats how I found out that they had doubt on my marriage.
Someone told me on this forum that filing a lawsuit won't hurt ur chances of approval. Good luck

Someone told me on this forum that filing a lawsuit won't hurt ur chances of approval. Good luck
And that is correct, provided the lawsuit isn't filed too soon and was properly filed (and 2 years since the I-485 filing is not too soon for a case based on marriage to a USC).

When WOM is filed, the case becomes under the supervision of the court, and USCIS is not free to deny you without the court's permission.