VISA Information for Countries

The Netherlands is interesting, too. You can go there without a visa, too. I forgot to mention it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian experience

My GC was approved last week, but before I had card in hand I had to leave for a trip to NY then to Niagara Falls Canadian side. Upon approval, I went to immigration offices in SF and got a GC stamp in my RTD saying Upon Endorsement Serves as Proof of Permanent Residence etc etc. Figured that would be enough. I was traveling with my gf with Singaporean passport. Going through customs in Canada was fairly easy. Though with RTD and no GC you need a visa, he just scanned it, did not even look at the other pages, asked us a few questions as to what we are doing there for just one day, then let me go. Not even an entry stamp or question about a visa or GC.

Upon returning to the US, the officer at the border looked at my RTD and GC stamp, had no idea how to proceed and called two different people. At some point I heard him say to someone on the phone "you're an immigration guru, right?" then decided to send both me and my gf to secondary. Waited there a while, then since we had to catch a flight out of Buffalo I asked an officer there what was going on with my documents. We get called in a few minutes later, the officer there says to my gf "I don't know why you were sent here" then stamps my RTD with entry stamp and sends us out.

Point being... do not count on the border officer to recognize what you're holding, in any country.

Euro and China experience

Been a bit of a busy year traveling around. Went to Europe, flew in through Germany. Had some issues with United Airlines agent at SFO who had no clue, called in supervisor who cleared it up, albeit after some 20 min of waiting...
Entering Frankfurt took a few minutes until the immigration agent found the regulation pertaining no visa for RTD but no matter. From Frankfurt to Amsterdam, no checks. Amsterdam to Milan, same no checks. Milan to Paris, same no checks. Pairs to Amsterdam by train, no checks again. In Amsterdam I rented a car and drove to Brussels. Since there are no borders, there were of course no checks. By no checks I mean immigration. There were checks by the airlines, just for matching names on tix and passport but that was it. No other issues whatsoever... showed CA DL in hotels and car rental, noone questioned me about anything.

China... need visa but then again everyone does. Got it, 4 days. Entering Shanghai took a good 15 min since the lovely immigration people there had probably never seen a RTD before. It was my new one, with just the Chinese visa on it. I had the old one on me just in case though. After some back and forth between her and supervisor, she stamped and let me in. Exiting, same story but just slightly time consuming. The trouble was with the hotel. Had a 3 day side trip in Beijing and hotel staff there insisted on calling Chinese immigration to see if they would allow me to stay in the hotel because they had never seen such a document before. A bit of headache but that got cleared up too after some 20 minutes.

Hah, you are one lucky visa-dodger, kukumjacka.

I'm curious. Does the RTD have the same design from 3-4 years ago? The dark green one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah, you are one lucky visa-dodger, kukumjacka.

I'm curious. Does the RTD have the same design from 3-4 years ago? The dark green one?

Yup, it is the dark green one.

I'm sure they have spot checks here and there, but it seems, even from my previous travel in Feb of this year that once you're in you can blend in fairly easily. On the train from Paris to Amsterdam there were tourists from literally everywhere around the world. And those trains around Europe are a very popular means of transport. Maybe I was lucly but I'd hate to be the immigration officer in charge of spot checking a train.

Well, I can tell you that in Germany, it is LEGAL to profile people and check their immigration status. When entering Germany by train about 2 years ago, it stopped in the middle of nowhere just after crossing the border from Holland. A few police entered the car, and came straight to me and a black man behind me, asked us for ID, a couple of questions, and went on their way. NOBODY ELSE was checked. The same happened when I flew from Malaga, Spain, to a small airport near Weeze, Germany. It's a Schengen route, but I was stopped "randomly" and asked for my passport, and a couple of questions.

I've mentioned that before, while entering Holland by train from Germany, we were checked (everyone was asked for ID) as well, and when entering France by bus from Belgium, everybody was checked again. It's possible that Southern Europe is more lax, and since you don't need a visa for Benelux and Germany, you didn't face problems. But, my experience shows that ID checks exist, and when you enter Switzerland, for example, customs checks are allowed, and if stopped, will mean an ID check as well.

Mexico information is wrong

VISAS NOT REQUIRED: Transit or Short Term STay Visa(90 days)

Mexico:

Visit/Transit: Visa needed no matter what. Very rude embassy.

With all my respect, this is not true, I went to Mexico this week for 2 days "business trip" with only refugee travel document.
No visa, no anything.
I went to embassy 2 months ago to get a visa, and they told me you do not need one, and the lady was nice by the way. she printed me what support what she says from their web site and I asked for a stamp of counslate with the date to proof it, and she did that.
I faced no problems boarding or entering mexico or getting back. again, just refugee travel document with no green card. Upon my return, USA officer at inspection room just asked if I have other documents, I gave her the EAD card, it seems it was useful somehow and she issued me a new I-94 with 1 year validation "she missed up my date of birth, but I dont care"
Note: I didnt surrendered my original I-94 that has asylum granted stamp. so now I have 2 I-94's!

Well, I can tell you that in Germany, it is LEGAL to profile people and check their immigration status. When entering Germany by train about 2 years ago, it stopped in the middle of nowhere just after crossing the border from Holland. A few police entered the car, and came straight to me and a black man behind me, asked us for ID, a couple of questions, and went on their way. NOBODY ELSE was checked. The same happened when I flew from Malaga, Spain, to a small airport near Weeze, Germany. It's a Schengen route, but I was stopped "randomly" and asked for my passport, and a couple of questions.

I've mentioned that before, while entering Holland by train from Germany, we were checked (everyone was asked for ID) as well, and when entering France by bus from Belgium, everybody was checked again. It's possible that Southern Europe is more lax, and since you don't need a visa for Benelux and Germany, you didn't face problems. But, my experience shows that ID checks exist, and when you enter Switzerland, for example, customs checks are allowed, and if stopped, will mean an ID check as well.

If I may, what's your country of birth?

That's irrelevant, because many countries, though they might not require a visa from you if you have your NP, you need a visa when using a solely CIS issued travel document.

No argument there, but you said you were singled out in the train, which may mean you were profiled based on certain physical traits you were born with. Someone's ability to blend in is severely dependent on how much that person stands out from the crowd.
Also, Europe is fairly racist.

Oh yes, absolutely. I'm not white, and that's why I was approached. That's how anonymous profiling works. What I gather from your question, though, is that you're suggesting that if one doesn't stand out, one need not worry about visa requirements in the Schengen area. While this might work in Germany, it won't work in France or the Netherlands, as I mentioned everybody was checked in those countries.

And, in the end, this is a public forum where you are suggesting that you did not follow visa regulations and got away with it. I'm trying to argue against doing this, as it could land one in hot water.

Travel to HK with RTD..

hi,

I've read this posts since beginning and I still don't get sure answer for my question..

I'm asylee and planning travel to HongKong with RTD.. my NP and US visa still valid till 2016..

My question are :
1) Do I need HK's visa for entering HK ??
2) Can I use my NP when enter and leave HK Immigration then use RTD when enter USA ??

If your country of citizenship requires a visa to HK then you do. If not then you dont. I didn't get HK but I got Chinese visa in my RTD, took 4 days. Apply at the Chinese consulate for either visa.
Also, I do not think your US visa is still valid. Since you have asylum in the US, you have an immigrant status wheres a visa, depending on what it is, may have non immigrant status. Regardless, don't try to use that visa to enter the US. Use RTD!
As for exiting US and entering HK with NP, yes absolutely. Exiting HK you need to show what you used to enter, which is also NP. However, visa is no longer valid so you can pull out RTD and technically you should be OK. Might be a bit lengthy since you'd be exiting with two documents. But yea, it's doable.

Now, if by any chance your NP is Chinese, I would stay home!!!

Been a bit of a busy year traveling around. Went to Europe, flew in through Germany. Had some issues with United Airlines agent at SFO who had no clue, called in supervisor who cleared it up, albeit after some 20 min of waiting...
Entering Frankfurt took a few minutes until the immigration agent found the regulation pertaining no visa for RTD but no matter. From Frankfurt to Amsterdam, no checks. Amsterdam to Milan, same no checks. Milan to Paris, same no checks. Pairs to Amsterdam by train, no checks again. In Amsterdam I rented a car and drove to Brussels. Since there are no borders, there were of course no checks. By no checks I mean immigration. There were checks by the airlines, just for matching names on tix and passport but that was it. No other issues whatsoever... showed CA DL in hotels and car rental, noone questioned me about anything.

China... need visa but then again everyone does. Got it, 4 days. Entering Shanghai took a good 15 min since the lovely immigration people there had probably never seen a RTD before. It was my new one, with just the Chinese visa on it. I had the old one on me just in case though. After some back and forth between her and supervisor, she stamped and let me in. Exiting, same story but just slightly time consuming. The trouble was with the hotel. Had a 3 day side trip in Beijing and hotel staff there insisted on calling Chinese immigration to see if they would allow me to stay in the hotel because they had never seen such a document before. A bit of headache but that got cleared up too after some 20 minutes.

Hi ! I have a question to you. When you were coming back in USA did border officer check your RTD - I mean stamps or seals about when you were entering and leaving Frankfurt ? Did he pay attention to that or he just checked validity your travel passport and let you pass trough ? Thank you for answer!

Hi ! I have a question to you. When you were coming back in USA did border officer check your RTD - I mean stamps or seals about when you were entering and leaving Frankfurt ? Did he pay attention to that or he just checked validity your travel passport and let you pass trough ? Thank you for answer!

He flipped through the pages then suggested I should get the reentry permit. Then he stamped and I left.

And do I right understand - from Frankfurt to Amsterdam, from Amsterdam to Milan, from Milan to Paris - you were flying on the plane?