VISA Information for Countries

hi Cafe,

There were a lot of questions regarding whether or not I needed a visa (all of this from the consulate), I new Germany didn't require a visa for entry with RTD issued in the US, so I traveled to Germany and risked being turned around by flying into spain. I had no issues going thru passport control in Madrid or Barcelona. I flew from UK back to spain and no issues.

as for the UK visa, yes I was able to apply in Madrid, Spain, took 48 hours for them to issue the visa. Had not issues.

Miss_Chang,

This is the site I use to research my UK application.

https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Welcome.aspx

You can also call them, though it is a bit expensive, but these are some of the most knowledgeable and friendly visa-processing-people i have ever encounter.

best of luck and happy holidays.

As far as I know you can go to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Croatia, and Hungary? Maybe Luxembourg? All with an RTD and no visa. GC not necessary. If you're lucky enough to be let in with no issues like scully51, Spain and maybe other Schengen countries, though I would never do that. scully51 has balls. Really. Hehe.

travel to Spain

All, do I need to get a visa to Spain? I have a GC and RTD. No NP. The answer is greatly appreciated. I have found a ton of confusing info online and can't get in touch with the Spanish Embassy.
Thanks!

Unfortunately for me the Spanish consulate at the time did not have any clear answer. I did go to my local consulate with all the paperwork just to be told that I didn't need a visa based on my country of citizenship. After my local consulate turned me away, I called other consulate offices around the country and was told the same thing over and over again that I did not need a visa.

As far as balls well not so much as I felt confident armed with knowledge. I had researched so much to include the European agreement signed when all countries joined the schengen(sp) area, in which states that we - folks with RTD issued in the US do not need a visa- thus many of the countries like Germany do not require one.

All politics aside, I would not recommend traveling with the stress of not knowing. I know Spain is a much desired destination but not really worth the stress.

How do Schengen countries decide who needs a visa? Is it based on your citizenship or is it based on the fact that you are entering with a RTD? They don't really make it clear on their websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schengen visas are required based on your citizenship, with exceptions. With an RTD, you can go to some countries visa free, but ONLY those countries. Some people sneak into other countries from those countries, but that is at their own risk. Where would you like to go?

I'd like to go to France and perhaps Italy, and based on my citizenship I don't need a visa for either. Does it make a difference if I travel with a RP instead of a RTD?

RPs always need a visa (except for Croatia, I think). If you're comfortable, use your passport and GC, that would be much easier.

Thanks for the response, cafeconleche. My passport is expired and I can't renew it! I'm going to call the French and Italian consulates and will report back!

wayneverhoch,yes it's been over 5 years now that you started this thread, thanks for doing that. I hope the information contained to this thread doesn't apply to you anymore

Hi, guys!!! I just sent 2 messages on the dutch consulate and received answers - " Dear Mrs./Mr.,

Thank you for contacting the Netherlands Information Desk.

Holders of a refugee travel document I-571 do not need a visa to travel to the Netherlands.

Kind regards,

Netherlands Information Desk (NID) for the Dutch Diplomatic Missions in the U.S.A. and Canada." !!! I also mailed Italy and Spain consulate - waiting for answer ))))

Yes, I got a message from Italian consulate, they need visa and to be resident of USA also. My brother in the France and I'am gonna visit him summer time, he told me - if you looks fishily, police can just ask you about your document on the train station, thats it. If you looks like european man - no problem )))

Yeah, they definitely can. Also, both times I have gone by bus from Holland to France, the bus has been stopped by the gendarmerie and passports have been checked (and people detained). France is risky. Have your brother get an official invitation from the city (that's how it works in Holland) and you can use that to get a French visa valid for Italy.

Keep in mind that in Europe,the police can stop you at any time without any reason to ask for your papers,especially in those trains and buses that runs accross boader countries.

Guys, just 1 question - can I get visa in France or Italy without invitation , like tourist ? And anybody of you had a problem on the american boarder when moving back from Europe with Travel Passport and white card - I94 (NOT GC ) ???