Using passport card as an ID inside and outside the USA: your experience

What about for nationals of other countries, though? And, I suppose CBP are lazy too?
I guess they do stamp other passports (non-Canadian and non-US). CBP are lazy too when it comes to returning Americans and visiting Canadians. I guess the habit of not stamping passports at land and sea borders comes from the times when people did not even need to carry a passport to cross the border. At airports, they always stamp.

Well, like I said, I don't COLLECT passport stamps. I just wanted the first one because an empty passport is just weird. Also, border guards don't like seeing empty passports. They like knowing you have a healthy travel history.

Anyway, I'll get one soon enough. Probably when I go to Europe in the next few months.

Also, border guards don't like seeing empty passports.
Is this statement based on your personal experience? I use my other passport for travel to countries that would require visas in the US passport, and the absence of entry/exit stamps in my US passport never raised any concerns in CBP staff.

Anyway, I'll get one soon enough. Probably when I go to Europe in the next few months.
Make sure not to enter Schengen via Paris because those lazy French border guards do not like to bother stamping passports ;)

Well, not experience, but I have read a lot about people's experiences. But it does not apply to all guards, and not all countries. But, a young person entering a country like the UK, for example, is looked upon more favourably if it is clear that he/she is a frequent traveler so that it provides a slight inclination that the person will leave the country on time. I think it makes sense.

I have entered Europe via CDG and they didn't stamp my RP! Hehe. You're right. It'll be Amsterdam or Frankfurt, though.

Well, not experience, but I have read a lot about people's experiences. But it does not apply to all guards, and not all countries. But, a young person entering a country like the UK, for example, is looked upon more favourably if it is clear that he/she is a frequent traveler so that it provides a slight inclination that the person will leave the country on time. I think it makes sense.

I have entered Europe via CDG and they didn't stamp my RP! Hehe. You're right. It'll be Amsterdam or Frankfurt, though.

I guess they do stamp other passports (non-Canadian and non-US). CBP are lazy too when it comes to returning Americans and visiting Canadians. I guess the habit of not stamping passports at land and sea borders comes from the times when people did not even need to carry a passport to cross the border. At airports, they always stamp.

No, they don't.

CBP, French and Dutch immigration have failed to stamp my travel documents before (by air), so they definitely don't always stamp, but it's true that land borders are more lax.

Had a little passport card experience here...

Went to update my SSN status and showed the passport card and the guy immediately told that they only accept the passport or naturalization certificate. So they do not accept the pp card here in Chicago. Pretty sad I would say.

You are talking a lot about Passport card and stamps on passport here. I have a question.

Do we need to keep track of travel dates for any other application or anything else once we become US citizen (like on N-400 application where we need to mention all travel dates)?

Had a little passport card experience here...

Went to update my SSN status and showed the passport card and the guy immediately told that they only accept the passport or naturalization certificate. So they do not accept the pp card here in Chicago. Pretty sad I would say.

That is RIDICULOUS!

Yeah, it is. Official document gets rejected. But if you go to SSN page, they don't list the PP card as the proof of citizenship, only the actual PP and the naturalization certificate.
Virtually all government agencies appended their lists of acceptable documents to include the passport card. At the same time the SSA rejects the passport card even though it is issued by the same agency as the passport book, to the same standards and points to exactly same database? This is indeed ridiculous.

[rant] Having lived in a country that required me to have an internal passport (and carry it all the time), I thought of it as atavism. However, after my various US-issued identity documents were rejected by various US-based agencies and businesses, I really believe now that people would only benefit from a single national identity document that would prove citizenship and identity all together. [/rant]

I HATE the term Passport Card. It's a bloody Federal Identity Card! Either way, if it has the word Passport in the title, it's a PASSPORT!

I HATE the term Passport Card. It's a bloody Federal Identity Card! Either way, if it has the word Passport in the title, it's a PASSPORT!

I would say it's pretty useless and only good as the state ID. I would still show the state ID for every day use. You take the PP card and don't know if it's going to be accepted, so you take the PP book instead. The PP card might help if you would lose the PP book. I would say store the card at home, definitely not worth carrying every day unless you live near the Mexico border.

Yup, I have actually never used it. I'm going to the CT DMV soon and I'm going to try there. I will argue for a while, and if it doesn't work, I'll take out the book, but I will mention that I will be writing to the authorities about the DMV's failure to accept a federal document.

Actually, I successfully (although after certain amount of confusion from the clerk side) used my passport card at a California DMV to get a new licence. I still had to show my Washington driving licence to prove that I was already licensed to drive, but if I was applying only for the California ID card, I could do everything based on the passport card only. I also used the passport card to prove my identity at the county office when requesting the birth certificate for my son. So, I would not say it is completely useless. It is mainly rejected because of the ignorance of clerks and bureaucrats, not because of an official policy about its acceptance.

MD SSN office accepted my passport card

MD SSN office accepted my passport card :))
When I went to update my SSN card, I showed my passport card, the lady was not sure if it was ok and she asked another lady - who told that yes, passport card is ok.
I had my passport book with me - just in case - but it was not needed.

Virtually all government agencies appended their lists of acceptable documents to include the passport card. At the same time the SSA rejects the passport card even though it is issued by the same agency as the passport book, to the same standards and points to exactly same database? This is indeed ridiculous.

[rant] Having lived in a country that required me to have an internal passport (and carry it all the time), I thought of it as atavism. However, after my various US-issued identity documents were rejected by various US-based agencies and businesses, I really believe now that people would only benefit from a single national identity document that would prove citizenship and identity all together. [/rant]