USCIS: "OK to travel to COP" - Read this!

MGTgrl said:
Sorry to hear that happened to your family members. What happened after the IO questioned them? Did their GC got revoked?

Their GCs and Licenses were taken from them, and they were held until the next plane to Colombia left some 6 hours after that. They were told they could appeal either through the embassy in colombia or someone here in the states, but that either way they would have to wait it out in Colombia. They were in Colombia, on vacation, and when they were asked why they were there by the IO, they told the truth. My mother inlaw was the principal on their application and my brother inlaw a derivative. They told us that the IO was extremely aggravated.

jealex said:
I am a little confused about your comments. did they go back to COP and came back already? or they did not go back to COP acutually after the IO told them you had no business travelling back to COP? please clear it. thank you for the further explanation.

The incident took place when they were trying to re-entry the USA. They had been in colombia since April 30th.

When exactly did they get their GC? It's been mentioned before, that going back to COP right after you get your GC, is pretty much the same as getting divorced the next day after you get GC through marriage, or quitting your job the next day after getting GC through employment. Either way, you will raise suspicion with any IO. It has been advised to wait a prudent time (months or even a year to say the least) and to travel for a short period of time... I wonder if there aren't any other circumstances that might have prompted the IO to take such measures. I've also been told by immigration lawyers, that if a decision was made at the port of entry to revoke my GC, IO's are incapable of doing so, they would have to let you in and open a file/investigation into your case and then you'd be called before a judge....and only then they'd take your GC if proven guilty of whatever they accused you...

rdmo said:
When exactly did they get their GC? It's been mentioned before, that going back to COP right after you get your GC, is pretty much the same as getting divorced the next day after you get GC through marriage, or quitting your job the next day after getting GC through employment. Either way, you will raise suspicion with any IO. It has been advised to wait a prudent time (months or even a year to say the least) and to travel for a short period of time... I wonder if there aren't any other circumstances that might have prompted the IO to take such measures. I've also been told by immigration lawyers, that if a decision was made at the port of entry to revoke my GC, IO's are incapable of doing so, they would have to let you in and open a file/investigation into your case and then you'd be called before a judge....and only then they'd take your GC if proven guilty of whatever they accused you...

I agree with the first part of your post about waiting a reasonable period of time. A time lag can make all the difference in the world.

As for the second part, what I hear is that immigration officers sometimes pressure people to sign a waiver of their rights and people do so in ignorance of the import of their signature.

sorry but the story is BS, at least according to two of my attorneys. Your friends/relatives cannot be inadmisable based on any of the related INA acts and they must be granted the right to enter and defened their case (if any).

I get a kick out of people on this site who have the NERVE to call someone's STORY BS or UNTRUE especially when they don't have facts supporting that accusation.

If this Cararico guy stated facts that you disagree with. Kindly, request clarification and letting him/her know what your understanding or knowledge is based on.

Keeping in mind that every case is viewed as an INDIVIDUAL it is remains at the discretion of the asylum officer and unfortunately other factors may come into play e.g. Bad day, Mis interpretation of the law, as her stated the Officer seemed upset- who knows what that stems from.

PS: I don't like it when people dismiss other folks. The example given by Cararico is quite upsetting, knowing how hard it is to secure a greencard. It is clear that people are ignorant and go home, but again... you are told your asylum grant is only know to the asylum branch.

rdmo said:

Their cases were approved in Feb 2006, I agree that they should not have traveled right away.

kiev said:
As for the second part, what I hear is that immigration officers sometimes pressure people to sign a waiver of their rights and people do so in ignorance of the import of their signature.

They did have to sign some documents, they just do not know what it was, they are not fluent in English. They were told that if they signed the papers they would be sent back to Colombia that same day, if not they could be held indefinetely by Uscis.

samird said:
sorry but the story is BS, at least according to two of my attorneys. Your friends/relatives cannot be inadmisable based on any of the related INA acts and they must be granted the right to enter and defened their case (if any).

According to two of your attorneys, and to Mr. Cauller it should be BS, but it is not. I am not trying to influence anyone's desicion or will on this matter, I am just letting you know a case gone bad within in my family, it is not something that happened to a friend, of a friend, of somebody's cousin, who then told somebody that in turn told me.

I usually do not comment on stories but this incidence seems to be fabricated to create panic. Inspection officer's at the port of entry are almost like clerks (not even designated Immigration officers) who do not have authority to just cancel GC at spot and send somebody to their native country.

(Thats why when you are asylee traveling on RTD, inspection officer takes you to seperate room and hand you over to "immigration officer" who paroles you in the USA)

Dear friend(s),

Excuse my previous arrogancy that I called the story a BS. It is true that there exist certain grounds of inadmissibility but they have to be proven first. As you probably know, US legal system is based on so-called 'common-law' or 'case law'. Hence, there are many cases that show examples of people being denied entry if it is proven that they commited an act of terror for example. These are usually published in huge green books (well color may vary) and when an attorney does the research or prepare for the trial this is where they find support for his/her case. So I have asked (and seems that many other people did ask and DID pay) my attorney about this issue. The answer came negative. In other words, if IO suspects that you may have commited the fraud, he/she would still let you in the US but you may need to defend the case in the court. So to recap, you are right, the story is not just a BS, it is rather HUGE BS.

Catarico??

catarico said:
They did have to sign some documents, they just do not know what it was, they are not fluent in English. They were told that if they signed the papers they would be sent back to Colombia that same day, if not they could be held indefinetely by Uscis.

Catarico:
So, if they were told that if they signed the papers they would be sent back to Colombia that same day, why they did sign? :confused:

Denied Us Entry

Hello my family was denied entry although they have valid H4 visa, the only verbal reason provided that I was not accompanying them and waiting in Canada for my visa stamping.
IS it ok to retry again as they have confirmed tickets from US to overseas on a week time?

Please advise. pof44720@yahoo.com

Lazerthegreat said:
I usually do not comment on stories but this incidence seems to be fabricated to create panic. Inspection officer's at the port of entry are almost like clerks (not even designated Immigration officers) who do not have authority to just cancel GC at spot and send somebody to their native country.

(Thats why when you are asylee traveling on RTD, inspection officer takes you to seperate room and hand you over to "immigration officer" who paroles you in the USA)

This is not true. Few IO's reside in every major US airport at any time. And yes, they can send home anybody, that's why they are there for.

ayyubov said:
This is not true. Few IO's reside in every major US airport at any time. And yes, they can send home anybody, that's why they are there for.

what are you talking about? So you are suggesting that I/O are not even present on some major airports?? are you kidding me. And when you become PR, atleast raise your self-confidance a little bit... YOu are a PR and have some rights to live in the US.

ayyubov said:

Officers who check your documents at Port of Entry are clerks.They can't send nobody home.If you were found entering US on suspicious documents(Passport,visa,immigration documents...) they have to hand you over to immigration officers located in special rooms at airport.These officers have finally the right to handle your case.They can decide if can be sent back home at spot,be held in custody or be allowed to enter US.

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

If I'm not mistaken, i belive the people you meet at the port of entry are CUSTOMS OFFICERS, not Immigration officers.

not correct

rdmo said:
If I'm not mistaken, i belive the people you meet at the port of entry are CUSTOMS OFFICERS, not Immigration officers.

After the creation of the DHS officers serve both the immigration and customs roles.

I understand your point Comcast, but I think there's a difference between a CUSTOMS OFFICER and an IMMIGRATION OFFICER

"The three immigration-related agencies under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) include U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)"
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/workfor/index.htm

"Individuals seeking entry into the United States are inspected at ports-of-entry (POEs) by CBP officers who determine their admissibility"
http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/port_activities/

"Port personnel are the face at the border for most cargo and visitors entering the United States. Here CBP enforces the import and export laws and regulations of the U.S. federal government and conducts immigration policy and programs"
http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/antiterror_initiatives/guard_air_land_sea_linklist.xml

I think one of the reasons why people get varying reactions at Ports of Entry is exactly that, customs officers might not be aware of all the intricacies of the immigration law as are immigration officers... just my opinion...then again, I could be wrong :confused:

The distinction you wrote simply does not exist. There is only one agency involved at the borders and it is the CBP. A CBP officer does BOTH immigration and customs inspections. There is no IMMIGRATION OFFICER or CUSTOMS OFFICERS within the CBP.

rdmo said:
I understand your point Comcast, but I think there's a difference between a CUSTOMS OFFICER and an IMMIGRATION OFFICER

"The three immigration-related agencies under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) include U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)"
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/workfor/index.htm

"Individuals seeking entry into the United States are inspected at ports-of-entry (POEs) by CBP officers who determine their admissibility"
http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/port_activities/

"Port personnel are the face at the border for most cargo and visitors entering the United States. Here CBP enforces the import and export laws and regulations of the U.S. federal government and conducts immigration policy and programs"
http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/border_security/antiterror_initiatives/guard_air_land_sea_linklist.xml

I think one of the reasons why people get varying reactions at Ports of Entry is exactly that, customs officers might not be aware of all the intricacies of the immigration law as are immigration officers... just my opinion...then again, I could be wrong :confused: