Registered Users (C)
[pulled from from the Infonet library]

Memorandum For Regional Directors
District Directors
Service Center Directors

Deputy Executive Associate Commissioner
Office of Field Operations
Immigration Services Division

Subject: Effect of Failure to Register for Selective Service on Eligibility for Naturalization

This memorandum provides guidance to Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) field offices regarding the effect of a naturalization applicant's failure to register for Selective Service on the applicant's eligibility for naturalization. This guidance is based on the attached legal opinion issued by the Office of General Counsel on April 27, 1998.

Selective Service Registration Requirements

Section 3(a) of the Military Selective Service Act [50 U.S.C. App. § 453(a)] provides that:

it shall be the duty of every male citizen of the United States, and every other male person residing in the United States, who, on the day or days fixed for the first or any subsequent registration, is between the ages of eighteen and twenty-six, to present himself for and submit to registration at such time or times and place or places, and in such manner, as shall be determined by proclamation of the President, and by rules and regulations prescribed hereunder.

This requirement does not apply to aliens present in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status.

In 1980, the President directed that, except for aliens in lawful nonimmigrant status, any man born after 1959 and living in the United States must register for Selective Service when he attains his eighteenth birthday. Proc. No. 4771 of July 2, 1980 § 1-101, 94 Stat. 3775 (1980). As provided by statute, this obligation continues in force until the man either registers or attains his twenty-sixth birthday. 50 U.S.C. App. § 456(a).

Although the Military Selective Service Act provides for civil penalties for failure to register, Section 12 of the Military Selective Service Act [50 U.S.C. § 462] also provides some relief from the adverse civil effects of failure to register:

(g) A person may not be denied a right, privilege, or benefit under Federal law by reason of failure to present himself for and submit to registration under section 3 if --

(1) the requirement for the person to so register has terminated or become inapplicable to the person; a

(2) the person shows by a preponderance of the evidence that the failure of the person to register was not a knowing and willful failure to register.

Men Required to Register

Except for aliens maintaining lawful nonimmigrant status, any man born after 1959 and living in the United States must register for Selective Service. Men living in the United States are required to register at 18. Men who enter the United States as immigrants are also required to register if they are between 18 and 26.

The requirement to register with Selective Service also applied to men born before March 29, 1957 who resided in the United States, other than as lawful nonimmigrants, between their 18th and 26th birthdays. Cf. Proc. No. 4360 of March 29, 1975, 40 Fed. Reg. 14,567 (1975).

Men Not Required to Register

The requirement to register with Selective Service ceases when a man reaches 26 years of age. Men who did not live in the United States between 18 and 26 years of age, and men who lived in the United States between 18 and 26 years of age, but maintained lawful nonimmigrant status for the entire period were not required to register.

Men born after March 29, 1957, and before December 31, 1959, were never under an obligation to register with Selective Service. Proc. No. 4771 and Proc. No. 4360, supra.

Eligibility for Naturalization

Section 316(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) requires a naturalization applicant to prove that he or she is, and has been for the requisite period, a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed toward the good order and happiness of the United States. Section 337(a)(5)(A) of the INA also requires applicants to declare under oath his or her willingness to bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law. Therefore, it is INS policy that refusal to or knowing and willful failure to register for Selective Service during the period for which an applicant is required to prove his compliance with § 316(a)(3) supports a finding that the applicant is not eligible for naturalization, because he has failed to establish his willingness to bear arms when required and his disposition to the good order and happiness of the United States.

Effect of Failure to Register for Selective Service

Failure to register for Selective Service is not a permanent bar to naturalization. In general, INS will find an applicant ineligible for naturalization on account of failure to register for Selective Service if a male applicant refuses to or knowingly and willfully failed to register during the period for which the applicant is required to establish his disposition to the good order and happiness of the United States. This period coincides with the more familiar good moral character period. Whether it is proper for the INS to determine that an applicant refused to or knowingly and willfully failed to register for Selective Service will depend on the applicant's age at the time of filing the naturalization application and up until the time of administration of the oath of allegiance.

Applicants Under 26 Years of Age

A man under 26 years of age who refuses to register for Selective Service cannot demonstrate that he is eligible for naturalization. Every male naturalization applicant under 26 years of age must provide evidence of registration for Selective Service. The examination of a naturalization application filed by a man under 26 years of age who has not registered for Selective Service by the time of the naturalization examination must be continued to afford the applicant an opportunity to register. If the applicant refuses to register for Selective Service after being afforded a reasonable opportunity to register, the naturalization application must be denied. The decision denying the application must state specifically that the applicant has refused, after given an opportunity to do so, to register with Selective Service, and that the person, therefore, is not eligible for naturalization because he is not well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States. The decision must cite § 316(a)(3).

Applicants Between 26 and 31 Years of Age

A man between 26 and 31 years of age[1] who was required to register for Selective Service and who knowingly and willfully failed to register cannot demonstrate that he is eligible for naturalization. Every male naturalization applicant between 26 and 31 years of age who failed to register for Selective Service must provide evidence that his failure to register was not knowing and willful or that he was not required to register. If a male naturalization applicant between 26 and 31 years of age failed to register with Selective Service, the naturalization examination must be continued to give the applicant an opportunity to obtain evidence that his failure to register was not knowing and willful or that he was not required to register. If the applicant is unable to demonstrate that his failure to register was not knowing and willful or that he was not required to register, his naturalization application must be denied. Again, the decision must state explicitly that the INS has found that his willful failure to register with Selective Service means he cannot show that, during the requisite period before filing his application, he was not well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States. The decision must cite § 316(a)(3).

Applicants Over 31 Years of Age

Failure to register for Selective Service will generally not prevent a man who was over 31 years of age on the day he filed his naturalization application from demonstrating that he is eligible for naturalization. Even if the applicant was required to register and the applicant's failure to register was knowing and willful, the failure occurred outside of the statutory period during which the applicant is required to establish his attachment to the good order and happiness of the United States. The INS may, of course, consider a person's conduct before the beginning of this period. INA § 101(f) (last sentence) and § 316(e). If the INS denies naturalization to a man who is at least 31, based on his failure to register with Selective Service, the decision must state explicitly the basis for finding that the failure to register warrants denial of naturalization. As a practical matter, a male applicant over 31 years of age who failed to register with Selective Service should, ordinarily, be found eligible for naturalization unless INS has other evidence, in addition to the past failure to register, that demonstrates that the applicant is not well disposed to the good order and happiness of the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:
[memo continued]

Evidence of Selective Service Registration

Men may obtain cards to register for Selective Service at their local post office. Men may also register on-line at the Selective Service System website at www.sss.gov. The Selective Service System website may also be accessed from the INS website at uscis.gov . After registration, men should receive a Selective Service registration card in the mail.

Men may obtain status information letters by calling the Selective Service System at 847/688-6888 or 847/688-2576, and requesting a questionnaire. Status information letters inform men whether, based on their age and immigration status in the United States, they had a Selective Service registration requirement with which they failed to comply.

INS officers may confirm a naturalization applicant's registration status by calling the Selective Service System at 847/688-6888 or 847/688-2576. Officers will need to enter the applicant's Social Security Number and date of birth to obtain status information.

Evidence of Registration

Naturalization applicants may present Selective Service registration acknowledgement cards or status information letters as proof of registration. INS officers may also accept other persuasive evidence presented by an applicant as proof of registration.

Evidence Relating to Failure to Register

INS officers must request that naturalization applicants submit status information letters before concluding that men failed to register with Selective Service when required. Status information letters do not forgive men for failing to register, nor do they provide them with an exemption from the requirement. The letters merely inform men if they had a registration requirement with which they failed to comply. Once it is established by a status information letter that a naturalization applicant failed to register when required, the INS officer must determine, based on other evidence, whether or not an applicant's failure to register was knowing and willful. INS officers must consider all persuasive evidence presented by an applicant relating to his failure to register. At a minimum, the INS officers must take a statement under oath from an applicant in order to determine whether or not failure to register was knowing and willful.

Evidence that Registration Was Not Required

Naturalization applicants need only demonstrate that they were 26 years of age or older when they first entered the United States as immigrants to prove that they were not required to register with Selective Service. Proof of an applicant's age and immigration status should be contained in the applicant's file. This evidence is all that is necessary to prove that the applicant was not required to register.

Further Information

Further questions regarding the effect of failure to register for Selective Service on eligibility for naturalization may be directed to Cheryl Becker, Adjudications Officer, Office of Field Operations, Immigration Services Division, at 202/514-2982.

Attachments

Footnote:

[1] The 26 to 31 age range used in this memorandum must be adjusted for applicants filing under sections of the INA requiring different periods of good moral character. For example, the age range for an applicant filing under section 319(a) of the INA is between 26 to 29 years of age.

hey, i have a question! So how is a 24 years old guy who has been residing in the US for the past 2 years on their Green Card (got their PR status 2 years ago) who still has not registered with the Selective Service is effected by this? If the guys applies now, would another 2 years be added to his citizenship residency requirement and the 5 year wait time countdown would restart once he register?
Meaning that if he registers right now, would he have to wait 5 years to become citizen or 3 years (as he got his PR 2 years ago)?

Thanks

Go to www.sss.gov and register. It saves a lot of headahe down the road. It especially helps alot if you are applying for federal benefits like citizenship, federal jobs as well as financial aid for students.

hey im not asking for me. im asking this for someone i know!!! i just want to know how him not being registered for the past 2 years since he's got he's GC would affect his citizenship assuming that he registers ASAP?

i was 25 and 10 months when i came here and try to register it but since i dont have any documents (eg. SSA, ID, I94) the DMV guy sent me back. Now i am 27 and 8 months and have SSA and ID now. When I apply US citizen, will it cause me something?

Thanks in adv.

Down

Need some guidance

Just a question:Since I am already 31 and just got asylum, do I need to apply for selective service still?

What happens when someone gets approved before age of 26 and forgets to register. Can they register after 26? Or will they, for sure face problem later? The system won't let them register after 26 anyway.

What happens when someone gets approved before age of 26 and forgets to register. Can they register after 26? Or will they, for sure face problem later? The system won't let them register after 26 anyway.

You cannot register afteer 16. If you were required to register and did not then you will have to explain this to the USCIS during your citizenship interview (or wait until you are older than 31).

My daughter has Asylum status and she wants to join the Army. Is hers a "lawful nonimmigrant status"? In other words; can she join the Army??

Thanks a lot in advanced!

if i failed to register and iam now over 26 years old, di i need to get status information letter before i file for N4OO,
And if the answer is yes how can i get this letter,

somebody please answer this question,
i need to to mail my N400 APPLICATION THIS WEEK

if i failed to register and iam now over 26 years old, di i need to get status information letter before i file for N4OO,
And if the answer is yes how can i get this letter,

somebody please answer this question,
i need to to mail my N400 APPLICATION THIS WEEK

if you ever registered, you can either go to their website to print out the registration number or request them to send you a post card. if you never registered, the website will show that they could not locate your registration number, or the post card will show no information was found.

you can do either to get your "non-registration" status, but i don't think it is necessary. you do, however, need to make a statement on why you failed to register though, based on the N-400 form.

if you ever registered, you can either go to their website to print out the registration number or request them to send you a post card. if you never registered, the website will show that they could not locate your registration number, or the post card will show no information was found.

you can do either to get your "non-registration" status, but i don't think it is necessary. you do, however, need to make a statement on why you failed to register though, based on the N-400 form.

dear UNILLER

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR RESPOND
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Can anyone offer their take on my situation?

I am eligible to apply for citizenship in a month, and as I started filling out the the N400, I came across the section in regards to Selective Service System (SSS), which I had no prior knowledge of.

I am currently 34 years old. Between the ages of 18-25, I arrived in the US on a student visa at the age of 20 on 1995 and I was on H1 until 2000. I applied for and was granted asylum in May of 2000, when I was 25 years and two months old. I applied for PR in 2001 and due to the backlog, only got my green card in 2005, with an effective date of 2004.

I do not remember receiving any letters from SSS about registration, nor did my immigration attorney at that time who represented me for my asylum case informed me that I had to register. Should I still get in touch with SSS to request a letter to confirm that they didn't notify me about registration as evidence to USCIS that I was not aware of it? I also should note I have a clean background if the good five-year moral character is a factor I should weigh in. What's the best way to handle this?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Can anyone offer their take on my situation?
I am eligible to apply for citizenship in a month, and as I started filling out the the N400, I came across the section in regards to Selective Service System (SSS), which I had no prior knowledge of.
Hi UKELELE,

do you already have answer to this inquiry? we have the same situation?

I am currently 34 years old. Between the ages of 18-25, I arrived in the US on a student visa at the age of 20 on 1995 and I was on H1 until 2000. I applied for and was granted asylum in May of 2000, when I was 25 years and two months old. I applied for PR in 2001 and due to the backlog, only got my green card in 2005, with an effective date of 2004.

I do not remember receiving any letters from SSS about registration, nor did my immigration attorney at that time who represented me for my asylum case informed me that I had to register. Should I still get in touch with SSS to request a letter to confirm that they didn't notify me about registration as evidence to USCIS that I was not aware of it? I also should note I have a clean background if the good five-year moral character is a factor I should weigh in. What's the best way to handle this?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

is there a diffrence between the NJ and the NY asylum laws? like some people would recommend that you apply your asylum case in NY because the process takes much longer time than NJ. Is it true?