US Pssport Application

DreamUSA

Registered Users (C)
Folks, I am doing some advance preparation for future passport application to make sure I will be ready...

I have three quick questions:
1) Section 10 -parents info section: it asks about both middle and first name : in 485 form, I recall, I have only entered FIRST and LAST NAME. I wonder if I can skip middle name or should i just mention middle initial.....Or does this even matter (given i am not benefiting from parents status as they are not USC)

2) Also, should i apply for both US Passport and U.S. Passport Card....I do not plan to travel a lot to Canada , Mexico and Caribbean (but i am thinking that it is not a bad idea to have an valet size ID showing your USC status).

3) Will applying for both Passport and Card delay processing. I may need US passport urgently due to travel? I thought I read somewhere that you cannot request overnight delivery with US Passport card?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

I didn't include my parents' middle names on my passport application. In fact, individuals born in my country of birth don't have middle names. Moreover, many natural born U.S. citizens don't have middle names either. It's completely fine to omit them on the passport application.

It's not a bad idea to apply for a passport card. In the event that you lose your passport, you'll be able to obtain a replacement by submitting the passport card as proof of citizenship, instead of having to part with your natz certificate again.

Lastly, applying for both the passport and passport card will not delay processing.

Thanks Vopral. I see you received Passport in a week. Did you apply for an expedited processing? I may need to do an expedited processing due to the urgent travel: but airline reservations only keeps ticket active for 48 hours (unless paid ). I can perhaps reserve night before Passport appointment OR do they need validate the reservation after application or at the time of appointment ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't know your parents' middle names? If they have a middle name, write it. If they don't have it, then don't write it. What's so hard about that? They're not going to penalize you because you omitted their middle name 5 or 10 years ago when you filed the I-485.

You don't know your parents' middle names? If they have a middle name, write it. If they don't have it, then don't write it. What's so hard about that? They're not going to penalize you because you omitted their middle name 5 or 10 years ago when you filed the I-485.

I know my parent MIDDLE names. I just want to be consistent with the data USCIS/other gov agency have in their file (I-485 filing is only place where I recall we provided that type of data) to preempt any delay ...

Folks, I am doing some advance preparation for future passport application to make sure I will be ready...

I have three quick questions:
1) Section 10 -parents info section: it asks about both middle and first name : in 485 form, I recall, I have only entered FIRST and LAST NAME. I wonder if I can skip middle name or should i just mention middle initial.....Or does this even matter (given i am not benefiting from parents status as they are not USC)
Omitting their middle names is fine.
2) Also, should i apply for both US Passport and U.S. Passport Card....I do not plan to travel a lot to Canada , Mexico and Caribbean (but i am thinking that it is not a bad idea to have an valet size ID showing your USC status).
It's up to you if you want to order a passport card.
3) Will applying for both Passport and Card delay processing. I may need US passport urgently due to travel? I thought I read somewhere that you cannot request overnight delivery with US Passport card?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated.
No. I applied for both and didn't experience any additional delays.

I agree with the poster above. Apply for both passport and passport card. Once you get them, lock up your Natz Certificate and throw away the key :) It won't cause any additional delays.

Thanks Vopral. I see you received Passport in a week. Did you apply for an expedited processing? I may need to do an expedited processing due to the urgent travel: but airline reservations only keeps ticket active for 48 hours (unless paid ). I can perhaps reserve night before Passport appointment OR do they need validate the reservation after application or at the time of appointment ?

When I applied for my passport in September 2008, it normally took about 10 days to receive the passport via non-expedited processing. In fact, the passports were being processed so quickly, there was no need for expedited processing. From what I understand, it can take up to a month now.

If you're going to make an appointment with your local passport office, it's my understanding that all you need is an itinerary. You don't need paid tickets. Just make the reservations the night before your appointment and you'll be fine.

thanks vopral, Bobsmyth and cheerus....this helps a lot.

Last question, can i pay by Credit Card if I apply in person ?

thanks vopral, Bobsmyth and cheerus....this helps a lot.

Last question, can i pay by Credit Card if I apply in person ?

I applied at the post office and paid with my debit card. Since you're planning on applying at a passport agency, I advise contacting them directly to inquire about it.

thanks again...vopral. it appears that they take all major Credit cards and checks.

One more question, does anyone in Chicago did a walk in appointment with Passport agency ? When i looked up at appointment system it shows few days lead time....Can i walk in if I need with reserved ticket ?