US PharmD Degree but Foreign National

ianfox

Hello,I am curently a Doctorate in Pharmacy (PharmD) student at the XXXX University, although i have 3 more years before i graduate, i had some questions i wanted to enquire about. I have pursued my entire pharmD program in the US through a straight program of 6 yrs which leads straight to a pharmD(no undergrad degree first) - Do i qualify for STEM degrees extension under OPT?- Do i qualify under the advanced degrees cap on the H1B?- If i file for an immigrant visa petition,does it have to be an EB2 or an EB3? I am confused because the degree i am earning is a doctorate (which is considered to be an advanced degree) but i have not gotten any undergraduate degree prior to that (i have been in a straight pharmD 6 yr program)

P.S - If it makes any difference to my answer - i come from a country with a very low rate of immigration to the US

Answer: Yes to all your questions. and you qualify EB2.

Hello,I am curently a Doctorate in Pharmacy (PharmD) student at the XXXX University, although i have 3 more years before i graduate, i had some questions i wanted to enquire about. I have pursued my entire pharmD program in the US through a straight program of 6 yrs which leads straight to a pharmD(no undergrad degree first) - Do i qualify for STEM degrees extension under OPT?- Do i qualify under the advanced degrees cap on the H1B?- If i file for an immigrant visa petition,does it have to be an EB2 or an EB3? I am confused because the degree i am earning is a doctorate (which is considered to be an advanced degree) but i have not gotten any undergraduate degree prior to that (i have been in a straight pharmD 6 yr program)

P.S - If it makes any difference to my answer - i come from a country with a very low rate of immigration to the US

It all depends on getting a job offer and a prospective employer willing to petition for you. According to:
http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm#outlook

Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition

Pharmacist

Job Outlook

Employment is expected to increase faster than the average. As a result of job growth, the need to replace workers who leave the occupation, and the limited capacity of training programs, job prospects should be excellent.

Employment change. Employment of pharmacists is expected to grow by 17 percent between 2008 and 2018, which is faster than the average for all occupations. The increasing numbers of middle-aged and elderly people—who use more prescription drugs than younger people—will continue to spur demand for pharmacists throughout the projection period. In addition, as scientific advances lead to new drug products, and as an increasing number of people obtain prescription drug coverage, the need for these workers will continue to expand.

Pharmacists also are becoming more involved in patient care. As prescription drugs become more complex, and as the number of people taking multiple medications increases, the potential for dangerous drug interactions will grow. Pharmacists will be needed to counsel patients on the proper use of medication, assist in drug selection and dosage, and monitor complex drug regimens. This need will lead to rapid growth for pharmacists in medical care establishments, such as doctors’ offices, outpatient care centers, and nursing care facilities.

Demand also will increase in mail-order pharmacies, which often are more efficient than pharmacies in other practice settings. Employment also will continue to grow in hospitals, drugstores, grocery stores, and mass retailers, because pharmacies in these settings will continue to process the majority of all prescriptions and increasingly will offer patient care services, such as the administration of vaccines.

Job prospects. Job prospects are expected to be excellent over the 2008–18 period. Employers in many parts of the country report difficulty in attracting and retaining adequate numbers of pharmacists—primarily the result of the limited training capacity of Pharm.D. programs. In addition, as a larger percentage of pharmacists elects to work part time, more individuals will be needed to fill the same number of prescriptions. Job openings also will result from faster than average employment growth and from the need to replace workers who retire or leave the occupation for other reasons.

Good Luck!

GEC provides real time updated information on the various universities and admission procedures for Countries like USA, UK, Singapore courses and so on.

We also offer coaching for examinations like CAT / CET / SNAP / NMAT / MAT & GRE / GMAT / TOEFL / SAT / IELTS.

Every academic destination, like USA, Australia, and UK, has its own demands to be fulfilled in order to secure admission in the right University. Keeping this in mind we also provide students with necessary Admissions Counseling which includes the following:

 Psychometric Assessment
 Counselling Session
 School Selection
 Preparing Application Packet
 Visa Counselling
 Pre-departure Seminar

So get ready, GET Started with the procedures Right away…

For further information contact:
Global Education Counsel:
[a division of Growth Centre (I) Pvt. Ltd.]
5th Floor, Gagangiri Complex,
18th Road, Chembur, Mumbai – 400071
Chembur: (022) 32516857/ 2528 5657 / 2528 7474
Pune: (020) 64000143 /25456179 / 25455184
Email :
Pune: info_pune@globaleducationcounsel.org
Mumbai: info_mumbai@globaleducationcounsel.org

Hi I am in the same situation with you. Please respond to me

Hi, I will graduate from an U.S pharmacy school in 2 years. Looking at the job market today really concerns me. Were you able to find a job? How did you do that? Where do you live now? I am sorry but I am very depressed now due to everything that going on about big chain companies no longer sponsor H1B visa :(
Thank you very much

Let us not forget that to enroll in any type of educational medical related institution in the USA, you must have proper background credentials.