US Passport Timeline

I didn't enter anything. But, I was asked for any travel plans in the post office and the clerk in the post office wrote none.

Another question: Both my parents are deceased, do I have to answer Parents' Information on No. 10, why do you think they need this information?

Yes, you should answer, even if they are deceased. You do not want a delay because of missing information.

Why do they ask? My guess is that since the same form is used for minors as well, it establishes a link to the parents, who could be applying together and signing on the passport of the children.

Another question: Both my parents are deceased, do I have to answer Parents' Information on No. 10, why do you think they need this information?

I entered only the name no other details like place of birth, date of birth etc.. But in post office the clerk asked those details and I told her that I don't have it. Then she told me that your application may be delayed. I said fine and told her that I filled the form online and these are optional. I received my passport on 11th working day (regular).

Passport Agency requirements

Does anyone know requirements for getting passport at passport Agency? I'm changing my name during Naturalization and will need to travel afterwords, but obviously I won't be able to buy a ticket since I won't have passport yet and actually any docs with new name.
In this case what I can show/tell passport agency as a proof that I need to travel?

Also, do I need to answer anything about my ex wife on line 20 in application form, whom I divorced 4 years ago? I wouldn't like to put her information because I wouldn't like anybody to contact her mentioning me in any case.
02/28/09: FP Notice Received ( I-797C)
03/17/09: FP Appointment & Done
04/25/09: Interview Letter.
05/26/09: Interview Passed.
06/09/09: Oath Letter Issued.
06/26/09: Oath at LASA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Washington DC passport agency appointment
Hello all,

Does washington dc passport office issue the passport on the same day if I make an appointment? Did anyone get their possport via appointment at this office? please reply with your experiences.

Thanks

Washington DC passport agency appointment
Hello all,

Does washington dc passport office issue the passport on the same day if I make an appointment? Did anyone get their possport via appointment at this office? please reply with your experiences.

Thanks

Only if you're traveling within 72 hours or less, and can show proof of that.

2 passports mailed, 2 passports MIA

06/03/09: Applied for PPB and PPC at post office, Regular processing
06/08/09: Checks cleared (ACH debit)
06/09/09: Online status established on travel.state.gov
06/18/09: 2 passports mailed, 2 passports "processing"

Today I checked the online status of our passport applications and found that my passport and my wife's have been mailed, due to arrive by 6/22. However my son's and daughter's passports' status shows as processing.

As Huracan and someone else pointed out, I did not submit my kids' green cards by mistake with their passport application, and I think that my kids' passports are being held up because of this. I have not got any correspondance from them about missing documents that I need to submit.

Called the State Dept yesterday, and basically they just read out the online status for my kids applications and could not give any more information regarding missing documentation.

Has anyone in this forum been required to sumit additional documentation for their passport processing? If so, I would like to request them to post their experience.

Has anyone in this forum been required to sumit additional documentation for their passport processing? If so, I would like to request them to post their experience.

When my parents applied for a passport for my brother who's a minor and who got his citizenship through my parents' naturalization, they sent a letter requesting a marriage certificate from my parents. After we sent it, his passport was promptly shipped.

When my parents applied for a passport for my brother who's a minor and who got his citizenship through my parents' naturalization, they sent a letter requesting a marriage certificate from my parents. After we sent it, his passport was promptly shipped.

Thanks Mr.Vertigo. That gives me some comfort, and I now know what to expect.

Still no correspondance from the State Dept. regarding my kids' green cards.

I believe that the trick here is that if both father and mother have naturalized then apply for kid's passport with mother naturalization certificate. I think that way you don't need the marriage certificate.

6/4/2009 Passport applied expedited service at USPS
6/9/2009 Online status updated and said I had applied for routine service instead of expedited service
6/10/2009 called and spoke to customer service and they sent notification to Houston where my passport was being processed to expedite
6/18/2009 Passport received

Point is though USPS put "Expedite" service stickers on the overnight express mail cover it still ended up as a routine service. The customer service people at the call center can't do much about this. All they can do is send some notifications to the regional agency where your passport is being processed. They even advised me to go to Houston and get it in person if it was an emergency. I got an appointment for June 22nd Monday but luckily the passport arrived in express mail today from Houston. Incidentally my check to US Dept of State has not been cashed yet.

06/03/09: Applied for PPB and PPC at post office, Regular processing
06/08/09: Checks cleared (ACH debit)
06/09/09: Online status established on travel.state.gov
06/18/09: Online status: 2 passports mailed, 2 passports "processing"
06/19/09: Passports received (self and wife)

Received passports today (self and wife) in 16 days (regular processing).

Kids' passports are still missing in action probably because I did not submit their green cards by mistake. No word on their passports.

same questions

hey guys, nobody answered my questions, so here it goes again:
I'm changing my name during Naturalization and will need to travel afterwords, but obviously I won't be able to buy a ticket since I won't have passport yet and actually any docs with new name.
In this case what I can show/tell passport agency as a proof that I need to travel and need passport as soon as possible?

Also, do I need to answer anything about my ex wife on line 20 in application form, whom I divorced 4 years ago? I wouldn't like to put her information because I wouldn't like anybody to contact her mentioning me in any case.

hey guys, nobody answered my questions, so here it goes again:
I'm changing my name during Naturalization and will need to travel afterwords, but obviously I won't be able to buy a ticket since I won't have passport yet and actually any docs with new name.

You are quite wrong on the last point. There is NOTHING that prevents you from buying a ticket right now for the traveller name being your future legal name. When you buy a ticket, online or at a travel agency, you always have an option of specifying the name of the traveller on the ticket which is different from the name of the person making the purchase. In particular, you can buy a ticket for another person, for several other people, etc. So if you know what your legal name will be after naturalization, you can buy a ticket now for that name. The only caveat with that is that, at the time of checking in for your flight, airlines require the name on the ticket to be the same as the name in the passport. So if you end up not changing your legal name, you'll have a problem. You'll also have a problem if you buy a ticket now in your current name and use for check-in a passport with your new name.

Additionally, before going to a passport agency you might need to go to DMV and get a driver's licence with your new name (you'll be able to do that after naturalization since you'll get a court document showing that your name was changed). As I remember, the passport agency requires an additional proof of identity on top of the naturalization certificate at the time of appointment.

well, would you buy a ticket and then find out that they made mistake on Naturalization Certificate or in passport? would you play with that? finding out afterwards that you can't travel? and another question, when last time did you buy tickets for international travel? you need to provide serial numbers of your passport:) at least that what I always did before...did they change something? forget about my old passport from my original country.
And last thing I'm moving to another state, so I'm not going to apply for Cal. driving license. why would I need one? in order to change it in a week or so to NY one?:)
for proving who I am I can always show NC which will have my old name and new one and my old driving license + passport from my country + birth certificate and so on, so I don't think you right...thanks, but I think I'll just call passport agency, I'm interested what they will say.

well, would you buy a ticket and then find out that they made mistake on Naturalization Certificate or in passport? would you play with that? finding out afterwards that you can't travel? and another question, when last time did you buy tickets for international travel? you need to provide serial numbers of your passport:) at least that what I always did before...did they change something? forget about my old passport from my original country.
And last thing I'm moving to another state, so I'm not going to apply for Cal. driving license. why would I need one? in order to change it in a week or so to NY one?:)
for proving who I am I can always show NC which will have my old name and new one and my old driving license + passport from my country + birth certificate and so on, so I don't think you right...thanks, but I think I'll just call passport agency, I'm interested what they will say.

I travel abroad all the time and I am currently travelling in Europe. I bought two international tickets just in the last month and no passport data was required, now or in my previous purchases. If this info is ever requested at the time of purchase, it certainly is optional.

Regarding risks, in your situation there will be some risks involved in any event, so you'll just have to decide which is the greater risk.

Regarding driver's licence, I don't know if giving the passport agency a driver's licence with your old name plus the court document showing name change will be enough as an additional proof of identity. It might or might not work and you'd need to try to find this out from a passport agency directly. on the other hand, if you change a driver's licence to your new legal name, that would definitely be enough for a passport agency.

I went to the passport agency right after the oath. I changed my name and they had no problem w/ my DL having my old name on it.
I didn't update my DL for a couple of weeks. Good Luck!

Received passports for myself and wife. Somehow, my minor daughter's passport status still shows in "processing" - we all applied together. I had submitted her greencard and birth certificate (original, copy, translation) as well. Haven't received any letter if anything additional was required. In some cases, they ask for marriage certificate of parents which I did not include since the post office where I submitted applications did not ask for it. Her birth certifcate has names of both parents - so I don't see why a marriage certificate would be needed. Any way, will wait and see. Luckily, we don't have any foreign travel plans this summer.