US citizen parent got denied TWICE for a tourist visa

Same Issue

It happened same thing to my mother-in-law. My wife became citizen 2 months ago and applied torist visa for her mom. But they denied twice. Now we're thinking to apply for Green Card. Do you guys know it they will also denied the the last process of Green card through I-130?? Please let me know asap.

Thanks.

It happened same thing to my mother-in-law. My wife became citizen 2 months ago and applied torist visa for her mom. But they denied twice. Now we're thinking to apply for Green Card. Do you guys know it they will also denied the the last process of Green card through I-130?? Please let me know asap.

Thanks.

Lucky you! You don't have to deal with your mother-in-law! :rolleyes:

It's actually a good thing, you can see them whenever you want but they can't show up at your door whenever they want! ..:D

I am on the same boat. I guess it really depends on your nationality. Some countries are much easier to obtain a tourist visa. My mother-in-law was also denied twice for a tourist visa. My wife became a citizen 8 month ago and is able to sponsor her mother for GC but my mother-in-law doesn't want to move to the state, she just wanted to visit us so getting a GC is a waste of $$ and time.

I think somebody suggested 2 options;

1. Make a new visa for elderly parents (only age 65 or more) of US citizens and give it dual-intent.

OR

2. Ban adustment of status for people coming in on B1/B2 just like visa waiver has a lot of restrictions. If you come in as a visitor, you should not be allowed to adjust, period.

I really think that a lot of elderly parents on visitor visa don't want to stay here permanently. So denying them visitor visa on the chance that they will stay permanently is an overkill. The probability of them leaving is more than their staying, IMO, especially from non-native english speaking countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, my wife has applied for GC for her mom. We have sent the file I-130 on 26th of December, 2008 and delivered to Chicago lock box on Monday the 29th of December. I will be posting all updates. They havenot cashed the check yet.

Please update the processing time in this regard.

Thanks.

as mentioned by the other membmer, I think apply for GC then surrendered it doesn't make any difference either because I am sure they will say you already have the intent and even after you surrendered the GC, it won't guarantee that you will not hat that "intent" again.

Instead of debating for getting new laws, the best solution now for people who wants to sponsor their parents for an immigrant visa, once they are here file for re-entry permit for 2 years. I know you would get for first time not second and subsequent time, but at least they could keep permenant residency and be with their loved ones back home

Instead of debating for getting new laws, the best solution now for people who wants to sponsor their parents for an immigrant visa, once they are here file for re-entry permit for 2 years. I know you would get for first time not second and subsequent time, but at least they could keep permenant residency and be with their loved ones back home

I guess my wife will have to do that for her mom. This is the only way to allow her to visit us. This just sucks...has to go through all these paperwork and waiting time just to make a visit then going back.

Everyone should write a letter or two to their respective senators and congressmen, explaining this predicament and maybe someone will take notice and actually do something about this. I definitely plan to write some letters.

My mom had applied twice for a visitors visa, one year apart, and was denied both times. She just wanted to come spend 2 months with us. One consular officer even clearly told my mom, "Ask your son to apply for your green card". I had written letters to the Senators' and Congressman's office and received stock replies from their staff, "post 911..... security...." etc.,

I finally gave up on this nonsense and applied for an immigrant visa for my mother, which took about 10 to 12 months to process and she is now staying here with us.

as mentioned by the other membmer, I think apply for GC then surrendered it doesn't make any difference either because I am sure they will say you already have the intent and even after you surrendered the GC, it won't guarantee that you will not hat that "intent" again.
It won't guarantee anything, but it puts them in a better situation, as it provides another piece of evidence of nonimmigrant intent. Otherwise, simply applying again and again is more of a guarantee of denial.

I really think that a lot of elderly parents on visitor visa don't want to stay here permanently.
A lot of them who arrive with a visitor's visa actually do want to stay, or at least their US citizen children convinced them to stay after they arrived. Go through the Family Based Green Card section of the forum and look at how many people brought their parents in with a B1/B2 and then proceeded to file the I-130 and I-485.

A lot of them who arrive with a visitor's visa actually do want to stay, or at least their US citizen children convinced them to stay after they arrived. Go through the Family Based Green Card section of the forum and look at how many people brought their parents in with a B1/B2 and then proceeded to file the I-130 and I-485.

That's because their first intention is to immigrate and because of those people taking this loophole and abusing it, now causing all REAL VISTORS a hard time getting a visitor visa.