US citizen parent got denied TWICE for a tourist visa

sunrise2978

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I wanted to share my experience with US consulate regarding visa refusal for my parent.

I recently became US citizen (spring 2008)
Back in the spring 2008 my mother apply for a tourist visa in US consulate office in Jakarta, Indonesia but was denied, although she has been in the us before in 2002 and only stay for 30 days, they cannot approve her visa application this time due to my previous history with us immigration.

My history:
I entered the us with a tourist visa in 2000 then went back home in time, I have never over stay. I went back to US in 2001 still with tourist visa then got married. the decision of marrying my husband at the time was so quickly. we were just friend before that. then we fell in love and decide to get married while I'm still in the US. We've got married within 1 month and 1 week after I came for the 2nd time. At the time I was had no clue about US immigration procedure. The bottom line is I didn't have any plan or intent to get married with a tourist visa when I entered the US.

Back to my mother visa application,
The US consulate had told me through email that they are suspecting my mother to do the same as me. they think that as soon they granted her a tourist visa, she will immediately immigrate to amerika and change her status to permanent resident later on in the US. Just like I did in the pass. They also told me that my mother did not have strong enough ties to her country even thou she has a house, her two other children, a bank account. And somewhat strong ties with the US. My father passed away 3 years ago and yes she didn't have a job, she never work her whole life and now she is an old women. But please remember that they had granted her a visa in the pass.

Then I thought at that time what if my mother give another try to re apply for a visa after I become citizen? in my mind it will be so ridiculous is they still deny her application. so I was very confident last week that my mother would get her visa.

O boy...I was wrong, they deny her again for the second time, still with the same reasons. regardless of my status has already changed from GC holder to citizen. My problem will be solve very easy (or will not easy after all after all of these mess??) if my mother willing to come and stay as a green card holder. I could sponsor her since I'm fully eligible to sponsor my parent (or can't I?) I knew that written somewhere as one of the benefits becoming us Citizen is; to sponsor your immediate relative. But unfortunately my mother do not want to live in the US and therefore I can't force her to do so.

So folks what do you think? Has anybody ever ask for help from any politician such of US senator or congressman?
I'm so pissed right now, as a US citizen I felt embarrassed to my own mother because of this. I felt there is no point of becoming citizen if I can't even bring her here to visit me. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that you are a citizen, your mother has a much easier route to a GC, so I am not at all surprised that she was denied a visa.

In my opinion and experience, senators and congressmen have no influence over US consuls.

You should not feel bad about not being able to bring her over to visit you. Visit visas are self sponsored entities and you are just a liability in your mother's case. I know it sounds harsh but that is the truth.

O boy...I was wrong, they deny her again for the second time, still with the same reasons. regardless of my status has already changed from GC holder to citizen.

So folks what do you think? Has anybody ever ask for help from any politician such of US senator or congressman?

I'm so pissed right now, as a US citizen I felt embarrassed to my own mother because of this. I felt there is no point of becoming citizen if I can't even bring her here to visit me. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciate it.

Don't blame the US government, but blame those who abuse the system to bring relatives with tourist visa and apply for GC for them.

Getting tourist visa as an immediate relative of US citizen is always tough.. tougher than those with GC, and way tougher than those under non-immigrant visa.

your parents just need to keep trying with all the support documents.

I always thought that USCIS/DOS should have an option that prohibits individuals from adjusting status even though they are the IR of USC, if USC relatives signed so.

I always thought that USCIS/DOS should have an option that prohibits individuals from adjusting status even though they are the IR of USC, if USC relatives signed so.
You are so right. If they are so against people adjusting status from a tourist visa, they should simply have a rule that outright denies the adjustment if the person applied while in B1/B2 status, rather than being so stupid about it and denying visas on the fear that they might follow a LEGAL immigration procedure after entering the US.

The solution in this case is to file a green card for her via consular processing, have her use it once or twice to enter the US, then have her officially surrender it via the I-407 process. Right after that, she can apply for a tourist visa, as there should be no more basis for them to think she is going to immigrate after entering with the visa.

I support that. It will make getting B-2 visas slightly easier for certain nationalities. Most of whom pay the price for crimes committed by a few :)

they should simply have a rule that outright denies the adjustment if the person applied while in B1/B2 status

Let her come via the green card process. She does not have stay permanently in the United States.

You are not alone. People from certain countries always struggle to get visas from the United States Consulates.

I support that. It will make getting B-2 visas slightly easier for certain nationalities. Most of whom pay the price for crimes committed by a few :)

I don't see why all nationalities should suffer for the poor actions of a few. It makes far more sense to have the B applicant waive the right to adjust status when seeking the visa.

That too is a worthy option, provided it can be strictly enforced. Though I really do not see any justification for allowing a B-2 status holder to adjust, regardless of citizenship.

It makes far more sense to have the B applicant waive the right to adjust status when seeking the visa.

I totally agreed, there is should be a new law. of course back then no body tell me after many consultations via telephone to USCIS that I have to go home first and apply for spouse visa.

I did not blame the goverment, I just wish that somebody from USCIS could tell me about the risk. not after the fact.

Don't blame the US government, but blame those who abuse the system to bring relatives with tourist visa and apply for GC for them.

If the main reason for denying my mother application is because my pass, they will keep deny her visit visa in the future, why waste money?

your parents just need to keep trying with all the support documents.

Is any body ever done this? I'm too affraid to try anything, I'm affraid of all the risk.
The solution in this case is to file a green card for her via consular processing, have her use it once or twice to enter the US, then have her officially surrender it via the I-407 process. Right after that, she can apply for a tourist visa, as there should be no more basis for them to think she is going to immigrate after entering with the visa.

That's is unfair. why they should worries too much to people who is eligible to stay in the US if they want too. they should worries about those people who come to consulate with fake bank account, fake married etc got approved for tourist visa and ended up became illegal and collect welfare in the US.

Now that you are a citizen, your mother has a much easier route to a GC, so I am not at all surprised that she was denied a visa.

Actually somebody I knew have done it in the pass to USCIS and IT WORK really well, but I'm never heard of US consuls case. At this point I don't really care anymore, the US consulate pretty much insult me so bad by the way they respond to all my emails. they threated me like a trash and of course they all forget that they get paid from our income tax money. btw I did contact our Senator and I just signed a release form. They did respond to me anxiously. I can't wait to see what's going to happen. bringing my mother to US in time for christmas it no longer my top priority.
In my opinion and experience, senators and congressmen have no influence over US consuls.

Oh really, so should I feel happy?
You should not feel bad about not being able to bring her over to visit you.

My mother do not want to stay, not even for a month. and I don't want to waste money for the process if she ended up abondoned her status in the future.

Let her come via the green card process. She does not have stay permanently in the United States.

Esspecially my country with 90% moslem population and place for teroris to hide.
You are not alone. People from certain countries always struggle to get visas from the United States Consulates.

My mother do not want to stay, not even for a month. and I don't want to waste money for the process if she ended up abondoned her status in the future.
But if she gets a green card and then surrenders it, that provides support for her assertion that she does NOT want to stay in the US, which would then facilitate her to get a tourist visa in the future.

Sunrise,

I am in the same boat. My parents were denied 3 times for visitor visa a couple of years ago. I became a US citizen this year. My parents do not want to stay at US and just want to visit me. Please let us know if a US senator can be helpful.

Thanks and good luck.

X

Try contacting yours and see if they are willing to help. Congressmen and senators may have a tad influence on USCIS, since it is a US based agency. Consuls are part of the State Department, an agency that represents US presence and policy outside the country. Thus the lack of influence from US based politicians. However, don't let my opinion stop you from attempting to get their help. Good luck!!!

Please let us know if a US senator can be helpful.

Write them a letter and see what they tell you. At least you know where you stand.-:D:D:D

You can point out that you can petition for your mother for immigration without much problem now, but your mother's intention is to stay in your home country, and visit to U.S. for very short amount of time to see you.
I think it is the matter of the way how you can convince him/her.

I am going to go the route of LPR/I-407/Visitor visa. We will see how that goes. If I was a consular officer, anybody filling an I-407 (when GC is valid) is really a very strong proof on non-immigration intent. At that point, there is no more reading the mind of the petitioner as to his/her immigration intent, the petitioner has proved non-immigration intent by action.

i am in the same situation as OP. My parents have been denied twice, now i ask them to apply for the third time since now i am US citizen. But now after reading your post i have no hopes. Besides they are not interested in standing in long lines for the third time. They also do not want to stay here on permanent basis but rather visit only for a month.

So i also thought of getting them to visit me through GC/I-407/visit visa. My question is what is the price difference between visit visa and getting GC? Is it 3,4 times higher or more. Anyone have rough estimate?

I would imagine that is should be atleast 3 to 4 times. But I have never sat down to figure out the difference.

On a related note, while getting a visitor's visa is never guaranteed, does anybody know of any case where a properly executed I-407 (when there were no questions about that person's GC status) still resulted in visitor's visa denial (especially when I-407 will filled in conjuction with an application for visitor's visa)?