US citizen filed I-130 for wife in India April 2010

ThakDha, is that a good thing or bad?? Atleast they responded...
Tell me something - How did you put in a "service request"?

call the customer service. Ask them to put in a service request for you. If it's been over 5 mnths, they will be able to do so..

This is no good Thakda. Another 45 days? Son of a !U#!@! I can't believe it. That will make it just about 7 months for them to decide on I-130. That's shocking and is a record amount of time. After that it's another 2-3 months minimum for consulate processing to go through. This is insane and is just plain ridiculous.

call the customer service. Ask them to put in a service request for you. If it's been over 5 mnths, they will be able to do so..

This is no good Thakda. Another 45 days? Son of a !U#!@! I can't believe it. That will make it just about 7 months for them to decide on I-130. That's shocking and is a record amount of time. After that it's another 2-3 months minimum for consulate processing to go through. This is insane and is just plain ridiculous.

Tell me abt it man! all the March filers are sending their 864 right now, and I'm like two weeks behind some of these people and I dont even have an approval from USCIS yet. The worst thing is that for all I know they can even send me an RFE 45 days later..I'm so sick and tired of USCIS!

hey guys my brother's wife has gotten her case proved on 16th september USCIS sent him notice of approval. he had filed I-130 on march 31, 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great noorilove. Thanks for the update. It's somewhat heartening to see they did it in 5 months and around 2 weeks.

hey guys my brother's wife has gotten her case proved on 16th september USCIS sent him notice of approval. he had filed I-130 on march 31, 2010.

I have a hard time believing that your problem is accurate. First of all, what do you mean under "upon approval"? Is it the same as "upon accepting an application by USCIS"? If you check I-130 processing times for the same category in different processing centers at USCIS web site, you will see dramatic differences (from several months to several years). How can you explain it?
thank you.

hey guys yesterday i called in to put in a request but the lady told me that its not letting her put in the request and that the message thats popping up on her screen says i have to wait 18 more days starting today. she also said that i can also get my approval in between the 18 days and if not to call them back after 18 days to put in a request.

Hi! I filed I-130 for my husband on March 23rd. Priority date March 26th. Case in California Service Center. on September 15th I called USCIS customer service and filed an inquiry/service request since my case was outside normal processing time. The CS rep gave me a ref# and asked to call back if I didn't hear back from CSC within 45 days. On Sept 16th I received an E-mail from CSC replying to my inquiry saying that my I-130 was approved. The online status was updated to post decision activity the next day Sept 17th. I received the approval notice on Sept 21st. I guess I was lucky so far. Now waiting for my case to be transferred to NVC and waiting to hear from NVC since my PD is current next month.

hi There is no set time for approving an I-130. If you and your spouse have a child together, the I-130 may be approved in a 2-3 months. However, if the USCIS has to schedule a second interview or to conduct an investigation, the process could take many months, or even years.

This could possibly be true as my husband got his I-130 approved but we have a 3yr old son together.
hi There is no set time for approving an I-130. If you and your spouse have a child together, the I-130 may be approved in a 2-3 months. However, if the USCIS has to schedule a second interview or to conduct an investigation, the process could take many months, or even years.

Hello all, I called uscis today and was told to call back in two weeks as they are still processing cases from march 29 at California service center where my i130 was filed on April 21. This is ridiculous, and currenttheme I also filed for my 2 year old child together with my spouse but it has been over 5 months and nw they said wait 2 more weeks to put a service request?? :mad:

Hello all, I called uscis today and was told to call back in two weeks as they are still processing cases from march 29 at California service center where my i130 was filed on April 21. This is ridiculous, and currenttheme I also filed for my 2 year old child together with my spouse but it has been over 5 months and nw they said wait 2 more weeks to put a service request?? :mad:

I filed on April 1st, and am still waiting..
BTW, for people whose spouses are staying here in the states, and applying for change of status, there is another thread ( here is the link: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?311580-April-2010-filers-please-post-here. ). This thread is for people whose spouses are abroad. Sorry guys, it's a whole another game (time line, forms and the process), that's why I had to throw it out there! Thanx for your co-operation everyone..Best wishes!

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all, The procedure is effective February 1, 2010, and applies in cases where the I-130 immigrant petition and the I-129F K-3 petitions are both approved and sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). In such instances, DOS will administratively close the K-3 application and will proceed instead only with the immigrant visa application based on immediate relative category (IR).

Now that I have gone through the process and got my Green card approved, I wanted to share how I got this worked out for me.
1. Your spouse (USC) needs to submit I-130 to USCIS along with all the required documents of I-130.
2. Once I-130 gets approved, send a letter to USCIS requesting to Interfile your pending I-485 with the newly approved I-130, along with the copy of I-485 Notice, copy of I-130 Approval Notice and completed I-864 form and the supporting documents for form I-864.

I did NOT send new I-485.

Even my lawyer or USCIS infopass could not able to give this simple information and they told me to file a new I-485, which would have been waste of money and time.

So interfiling is possible in this case. Best of luck!

Currentheme,
Can you clarify a few things?
- Are you the immigrant spouse?
- What do you mean by interfiling 485? I think I understand what you are saying but it wouldn't make sense. Can you explain?
- What were your filing/approval dates?

Thanks!

Now that I have gone through the process and got my Green card approved, I wanted to share how I got this worked out for me.
1. Your spouse (USC) needs to submit I-130 to USCIS along with all the required documents of I-130.
2. Once I-130 gets approved, send a letter to USCIS requesting to Interfile your pending I-485 with the newly approved I-130, along with the copy of I-485 Notice, copy of I-130 Approval Notice and completed I-864 form and the supporting documents for form I-864.

I did NOT send new I-485.

Even my lawyer or USCIS infopass could not able to give this simple information and they told me to file a new I-485, which would have been waste of money and time.

So interfiling is possible in this case. Best of luck!

A spouse is a legally wedded husband or wife.

* Merely living together does not qualify a marriage for immigration.
* Common-law spouses may qualify as spouses for immigration purposes depending on the laws of the country where the common-law marriage occurs.
* In cases of polygamy, only the first spouse may qualify as a spouse for immigration.
* Same-sex marriages are not recognized by immigration law for the purpose of immigrating to the U.S.

what about filing for visitor visa for my wife?

So, I'm really tired of USCIS taking so long to even approve my I-130. Is it possible to bring my wife to the US on a visitors visa temporarily? she can say in the interview for visitor's visa that she will be back in India when she's called for an interview for I-130..jst be honest with them, that it's taking too long and she is willing to travel back when she is needed for immigration process in India..what do u guys think?

So, I'm really tired of USCIS taking so long to even approve my I-130. Is it possible to bring my wife to the US on a visitors visa temporarily? she can say in the interview for visitor's visa that she will be back in India when she's called for an interview for I-130..jst be honest with them, that it's taking too long and she is willing to travel back when she is needed for immigration process in India..what do u guys think?

I don't think because when i asked USCIS they told me no because while I-130 is in process they will deny your visitors visa. I don't know why but thats what they told me and they said that i can go and that would not be a problem but i don't want to go because i don't want go and than my husband's case gets approved and i have to come back to do the paper work for NVC.

I don't think because when i asked USCIS they told me no because while I-130 is in process they will deny your visitors visa. I don't know why but thats what they told me and they said that i can go and that would not be a problem but i don't want to go because i don't want go and than my husband's case gets approved and i have to come back to do the paper work for NVC.

guess what??!!! I-130 was approved!!! jst got a txt, and email about change in case status. Online it shows "post decision activity" saying they approved the petition on Sep 24th, and have sent a notification to NVC..FINALLLYY!! I"m hoping ur case also gets approved soon guys!!