US Citizen applying for Canadian citizen mother - Please help

rashec

Registered Users (C)
I am a US citizen and my mother is a Canadian citizen. I applied for her earlier this year. Just now received a letter from UCIS regarding her I-485. They are asking for evidence of inspection, admission into United States, such as I-94, Visa. My mother entered US by land. US Customs and Border Patrol doesn't issue any I-94 or stamp the passport. They don't even record the arrival. There is no record. Anyone had a similar experience? Should I just send them a letter explaining why my mother doesn't have a arrival record. Any answer or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My mother entered US by land. US Customs and Border Patrol doesn't issue any I-94 or stamp the passport. They don't even record the arrival. There is no record.
You have no record, but are you sure the government has no record? Did they simply look at her passport and hand it right back to her without swiping it or using a computer or writing anything down?

Do you know the exact date when she entered the US? If you do, mention the date and location and the approximate time in your letter. That might help them find the record if they have one. And mention the license plate number of the car she entered in. Sometimes they take pictures of the license plates.

Generally for Canadian citizens, I'd make out a sworn affadavit stating the date and place of entry. That should be enough.

Did they simply look at her passport and hand it right back to her without swiping it or using a computer or writing anything down - Yes.

This is a common practice at the US/Canada border at Detroit. Thousands of people cross the border everyday through the bridge and tunnel. Some time you just flash your passport. The officer stays in a booth. If they have any issues then they will stop you and take to a office.

Anyone had a similar experience? Should I just send them a letter explaining why my mother doesn't have a arrival record. Any answer or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.