Urgent: What documents I need for H4 stamp as a canadian citizen

dav2fox1

Registered Users (C)
I am canadian citizen and want to go to US/Canada board for H4 stamp. Except the document from my wife's H1, marriage certificate, what esle documents I need?
Thanks.

I am canadian citizen and want to go to US/Canada board for H4 stamp.

You do not get a visa stamp at the border, and as a Canadian citizen you do not need one.

If you are seeking to enter and stay in the US in H-4 status, you need a copy of your marriage certificate, a copy of your wife's I-94 and some recent paystubs of hers.

My wife will go with me together. We are in US now. Should I go to board to get H-4 status or I can get it from US inside.
In addition, I want to rent a car in US and drive to board (but will not drive into Canada), and walk into Canada. Then back for H4 status. Is that OK? Is it possible that I will be rejected?
If I got H4 status this time, next time I go to for TN visa and get rejected, can I still go into US with this H4 status?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions

To do it from inside US you need a current status. How did you enter last time, and is that status valid?

Some borders insist that you actually leave and reenter the US in order to be processed. I don't know what your concern is about a rental car and not crossing; Only residents of canada cannot do this. If your wife is already on H1 and living in US, she can go anywhere with a US-rented car, including canad (she should of course have a US driver's license by now).

If you go for a TN and it is rejected, you can still enter on the H4.

I have no status in US now, only for visiting my wife without any visa about 4 month ago as canadian citizen. So I am still a canadian resident.
My wife has no drive licence yet. So I want to rent car and drive to board (not pass it), and walk through board and come back to get H4, and then pick up the car. What i worry about is that I might be rejected for H4, is that possible?

So, technically you are in B2 status, which is still valid, and you could file I-539 to get an H4.

You will not be allowed to cross the bordeer with the rented car. Thus my previous words apply even more: "Some borders insist that you actually leave and reenter the US in order to be processed."

If you can do this on foot, all the better.

You likley won't know until you get there.

You will not be allowed to cross the bordeer with the rented car. Thus my previous words apply even more: "Some borders insist that you actually leave and reenter the US in order to be processed."

Out of curiousity - why can't you cross the border in a rented car? Is it that he's a Canadian Resident and he would be renting the car in the US. Or is there a new law about crossing the borders in rented cars? I ask because I've done that before, but it was over 6 years ago that I did it.

And in the future, I might consider flying to Buffalo and renting a car to cross into Ontario and visit my family -so you comment has me a bit alarmed.

Thanks

Cdn residents are not allowed to bring a US-rented car into canada. This hasd been the case for a decade or more. If you got by, even 6 years ago. You were lucky.
Most cross-border websites have dealt with this extensively.

This does not apply to US residents -- even Cdn citizens.

Its a vestige of the old Auto pact.

Cdn residents are not allowed to bring a US-rented car into canada. This hasd been the case for a decade or more. If you got by, even 6 years ago. You were lucky.
Most cross-border websites have dealt with this extensively.

This does not apply to US residents -- even Cdn citizens.

Its a vestige of the old Auto pact.

Actually when I did it before - I was back in Canada (as a resident) and rented a car and drove into the US to go to a training class. So I guess it was and still is okay to do it that way.

So - as a legal US resident (temporary or permanent - on a TN, H1B or GC) I CAN fly to Buffalo and rent a car and drive it into Canada to visit family.

Thanks for the information - As the great Johnny Carson would say " I did not know that" :D

Actually when I did it before - I was back in Canada (as a resident) and rented a car and drove into the US to go to a training class. So I guess it was and still is okay to do it that way.

This is always fine. It may even be possible for a US resident to fly to Toronto, rent a car and drive to Buffalo.

But a Cdn resident can't fly to buffalo, rent a car and drive that one to toronto.

I plan to rent a car and drive to Buffalo (need to return car back to rent place, different return location is much expensive) and take a bus or taxi to boader for H4. My wife will go together with me.
My concern is that my H4 might be rejected although I can not see any reason for rejection? Is it possible? is there such case happen before?

I just read the description of I-539, But I found there is no I-94 attached on my passport. I think the customer officer forgot to do it when I entered into US last time. Can I still apply for status change since I found I need to fill the I-94# for application.

Another thing is about my wife's case, she was only given one year H1 status since the customer officer said her passport would expire less than one year. Can she also file I-539 for extension? Will that affect another 3 year H1 extension in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read the description of I-539, But I found there is no I-94 attached on my passport. I think the customer officer forgot to do it when I entered into US last time. Can I still apply for status change since I found I need to fill the I-94# for application.

It's exceptionally unusual for a Canadian to receive an I-94 when entering the US as a B visitor. Do you have evidence that you entered the US, like a plane ticket, or was this by road? Either way, you can include a statement that said you entered by land at such and such a POE on such and such a date. You won't be the first.

Can she also file I-539 for extension? Will that affect another 3 year H1 extension in the future?

She could probably file an I-539 to extend her status until the expiration date of her H1 petition. I assume the original petition was for three years.

Thanks, the realCanadian. Your inforamtion is really helpful.
I had a B2 stamp on my passport to show ADMITTED with enter time (I took flight), is that evidence enough?
For my wife's case, will this extension affect her next three years H1 extension?

I had a B2 stamp on my passport to show ADMITTED with enter time (I took flight), is that evidence enough?

That's PERFECT.

For my wife's case, will this extension affect her next three years H1 extension?

It depends. How long was the original petition for? If it was three years, then it's not changing the petition at all (since she cannot change it). She's just being authorized to stay the entire duration.

If the petition was only for 1 year then she cannot extend her stay, only her employer can do so.