Urgent:US Citizen petitions for brother and sister

forex_dealer

Registered Users (C)
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I have a question to people who have gone through this.I tried to gather information from different sources but am getting different responses so far.
If a US citizen petitions for brother and sister currently residing in the US,how long will it take to get their status adjusted?I hear it is going to be a few years,if this is true,what will the status of siblings be in that time frame?
1) When will their employment petition be approved?Some say 6 months?!
2) Can they get SSN with EAD,some say yes and some say no.How can you work without a social security number even if you have employment authorization?
3) If they get I-485 notice receipts,will they (brother and sister) be able to go to college? Universities say that if you have pending I-485 for more than a year,you are eligible for enrollment as a resident.How true is this?
Please if you have had personal experience,shed some light.
thanks in advance!!

If a US citizen petitions for brother and sister currently residing in the US,how long will it take to get their status adjusted?I hear it is going to be a few years,if this is true,what will the status of siblings be in that time frame?

It will take between 12 and 20 years for their priority date to be current. Until then, the pending/approved petition gives them no status in the US, nor any right to stay.

1) When will their employment petition be approved?Some say 6 months?!

Six months after the PD becomes current.

2) Can they get SSN with EAD,some say yes and some say no.How can you work without a social security number even if you have employment authorization?

Of course you can get an SSN with an EAD.

If they get I-485 notice receipts,will they (brother and sister) be able to go to college? Universities say that if you have pending I-485 for more than a year,you are eligible for enrollment as a resident.How true is this?

Depends on the state, and what those policies will be in the year 2020 and beyond.

The Visa Bulletins can be found here, and show the dates (priority date or PD) for which applications are currently being processed. Brothers and sisters are family sponsored 4th preference which means currently the priority dates for applications being processed are:
  • 15JUL97 All Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed
  • 01DEC96 CHINA-mainland born
  • 01NOV96 INDIA
  • 15NOV94 MEXICO
  • 22FEB86 PHILIPPINES
Their other main option would be the diversity immigrant category (lottery) if they come from a country that is allowed to apply. Other options eg employment based, investment, are probably less likely.

It will take between 12 and 20 years for their priority date to be current. Until then, the pending/approved petition gives them no status in the US, nor any right to stay.

Six months after the PD becomes current.

Of course you can get an SSN with an EAD.

Depends on the state, and what those policies will be in the year 2020 and beyond.

In the year 2020, every US citizen will need a visa to trvael around the world hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. by then, I will have all the options available including applying for United States of China passport hahahahahahahahahahah

22FEB86 PHILIPPINES hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

Last edited by a moderator:
One already needs a visa to travel to many countries - examples include China, India, Australia (ok, even if it is electronic visa you need to apply on-line) etc.

The US is 25% of the world economy, with growing affluence else where it will not be as large part of the world economy, it will still be in the top 3 and the standard of living here is not going down, but standard of living else where is catching up. Nothing wrong with that. It is good for the world and the US.

In the year 2020, every US citizen will need a visa to trvael around the world hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah. by then, I will have all the options available including applying for United States of China passport hahahahahahahahahahah

22FEB86 PHILIPPINES hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah

Are you serious ??? 1986 ??? PD ...

I know a Filipino who became a USC in early 1980s. Immediately petitioned her brother, then forgot about it.

Luckily, the brother's son was living in the same house in 2003, and received the brother's wonderful USCIS I-130 approval notice. Now a happy US GC holder.

-ML

What's the point of 22 year old PDs? They should just make a certain amount of visas available each year and allow people to apply according to what's available, just like they do with H1Bs.

The PD IS the result of the limited visa numbers allocated per country. Mexico is one of "over-subscribed" country.

In addition, Brothers/sisters of USC are the fourth preference, the lowest priority. Consider the spouse of a GC holder is only the 2nd preference and yet for some countries it take several years for the PD to become current.

Go figure.

What's the point of 22 year old PDs? They should just make a certain amount of visas available each year and allow people to apply according to what's available, just like they do with H1Bs.

There is a certain amount of immigrant numbers available every year. However, they don't divide it equally across all countries. They assign a higher percentage of the immigrant numbers to those countries who don't have a high rate of immigration into the US. Unfortunately, the Philippines is one of the countries that has a very high immigration rate into the US so they don't assign as many immigrant numbers every year.

I realize they have only a set amount of visa per country every year and visa preferences, but why not reset the clock for all applicants of the country every year instead of setting back the PD further and further? In the current system, it seems there's no limit of what the PD can be..can you imagine a PD of 40 or 50 years down the road?

I realize they have only a set amount of visa per country every year and visa preferences, but why not reset the clock for all applicants of the country every year instead of setting back the PD further and further? In the current system, it seems there's no limit of what the PD can be..can you imagine a PD of 40 or 50 years down the road?

The answer to that is to file for brothers and sisters before they are born.

i gave up filing for my brothers because by the time they get approved, they will be 45 years old. This is not a good age to move to a new country.

I was thinking about bringing my parents and have them file for their sons and daughters. however, this process will take about the same time because they are over 21 years old.

These questions are not related to citizenship forum; rather a family based green card forum. I know OP posted it on a wrong forum and it slipped thru moderators' radar in the past....So it could be transferred there if discussion keeps continued....

If they reset every year, there would be the mad rush to to get in line each year, like the few hours a year that you can file for employment visas.

Both methods stink, Philippines is pretty much the only "former US colony" in the world, so with the cultural and aspirational ties I'm not surprised at the oversubscription of visas.

-ML

If they reset every year, there would be the mad rush to to get in line each year, like the few hours a year that you can file for employment visas.
They could use a lottery system or points system rather than adding everybody to an infinitely-growing queue.

But I'd prefer that they just got rid of the sibling and adult children green cards, allocating those to EB. Those sibling and adult children green cards don't promote family reunification, because for each person you bring into the US you have separated them from other family members in their original country.

Keep the core family of spouse and kids together, then select people based on how they can contribute to the economy, not based on who they are related to.