Urgent !!! Interview without passport !!!

If they are not accepted, your interview could be postponed.

But we have to look at the probability. It is highly probable they do not even ask for the passports at the interview. This comment just in case the OP takes a pre-emptive step of postponing the interview due to non-receipt of passports.

Actually if you look at options on the form where it says approved or case can't be decided, a passport or travel document required is one such options so it's entirely possible the io may ask for the passport b4 approving the case.

Does any know how we expedite the things at Indian embassy @ DC for passport renewal?

Any special help for higher official contacts(email or phone), greatly appreciated.

Stop worrying about renewing a pasport that you not going to need anyway

I had my naturalization interview on Dec. 1st in Boston, and got my oath lettter the same day without even showing my passport. IO usually wants to see ID. explain to the IO that is your passport and you did not want to renew it/a new one is in process. Noone on hearth can force you to carry a passport if you do want to. In my case, the IO asked for the last date I left the country. I showed him the date on the passport and that was it. anyways they should have all of them on their computer system, I assumed. Please people do not be too paranoia about these things. Please make that day an happy one. If there is any additional things that they need, they will ask for it. I believe if you live in this country; paying taxes, and never been in trouble with the law, you good to go.

Thank you.

We sent my wife's passport for renewal to Indian embassy and is still pending. We are not sure when we will get that. Every day we are calling and sent many fax requests too. No one pick up the phone and no one respond to voice mails.

Our Interview date is coming up. So please advise is it Ok to go to Interview and explain them and show them the proof(USPS delivery receipt) and money order copy and show the xerox copy of the passport pages?

Please advise !

Last edited by a moderator:
Does any know how we expedite the things at Indian embassy @ DC for passport renewal?

Any special help for higher official contacts(email or phone), greatly appreciated.

just cancel passport renewal application and get your passport back

which is more important to you getting american citizenship or renewal of
useless indian passport the require entry visa anywhere in the world

You sure about that ? I don't see any such requirement on the interview result letter.

http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=10879&fullsize=1

No you are right about that. However, when they can't make a decision, they also give a letter stating what is needed.

Last year my sister got interviewed and she got a hand delivered letter which has no Form # but has many other items listed which needs to be provided & it listed "New and Expired Passport or US Travel Document(s) or Reentry Permit(s)" as checked since she didnt take one of her old RP.

There is a reason IO may request a passport . it is to validate travel dates in and out of the US by reviewing the passport stamps, etc

If you do not have non-US travel, nothing to worry about...If you have a lot of travel, there is a risk that this may delay your case if IO is not satisfied with the other support documents you provided. So be prepared.

Hi Bobsmyth,
IO asked me for my passport. I am not sure if he would have postponed my interview had I not handed over my passport. FYI, first thing that he said is, please give me your passport, GC and DL.

The IO can ask, but it doesn't mean it is a hard requirement for naturalization. If you have a valid explanation why you don't have your passport (ex:theft, being renewed) I doubt the IO would delay interview.

Ohemail -

Did you talk to someone in the Indian embassy? When did you send the passport ? How many days it took ?

We had interview today

Both my spouse & I had interview today. IO didn't ask her passport but my IO checked my passport for all the travel dates.

So bottom line is, you never know which IO would insist on the passport.

Both my spouse & I had interview today. IO didn't ask her passport but my IO checked my passport for all the travel dates.

So bottom line is, you never know which IO would insist on the passport.

Did you tell the IO about the scare you had because of the renewal delay?

Anyway, that was half serious. Your comment does not say, but I guess you are done. Congratulations.
EDIT: But your signature does confirm the interview approval. Saw it now.

My officer didn't even open my passport . It depends on the officer plus if you have travels close to the 6 month mark they do check.