Urgent !!! Interview without passport !!!

ohemail

Registered Users (C)
We sent my wife's passport for renewal to Indian embassy and is still pending. We are not sure when we will get that. Every day we are calling and sent many fax requests too. No one pick up the phone and no one respond to voice mails.

Our Interview date is coming up. So please advise is it Ok to go to Interview and explain them and show them the proof(USPS delivery receipt) and money order copy and show the xerox copy of the passport pages?

Please advise !

Hi

We sent my wife's passport for renewal to Indian embassy and is still pending. We are not sure when we will get that. Every day we are calling and sent many fax requests too. No one pick up the phone and no one respond to voice mails.

Our Interview date is coming up. So please advise is it Ok to go to Interview and explain them and show them the proof(USPS delivery receipt) and money order copy and show the xerox copy of the passport pages?

Please advise !

Hi, do you have the copies of all the pages ? especially the entries and the exits?...they basically want to check the number of days you were outside USA, make sure that you hadn't stayed more than 6 months(at a stretch), I believe if you have that, then you should be fine.

Out of curiosity, when you had the interview date they why renew the Indian passport??

You just realized how ridiculous the Indian govt establishments are. They still have 50+ years to go before they can afford any decent service to their people.
I have been calling them to get some details on my Visa and they don't damn care to pick up the phone or respond to any queries.

I would say somehow get the phone# of somebody higher up and call directly. or just walk in to the office and get your passport back.

Please advise !

Why would you do a silly thing like that when your ID was near? Or was this 6 months ago?? You are an indian citizen..go to your embassy and fight..raise hell..get your passport back!! Once you become a U.S Citizen, go and through the indian passport on their face!

Hello the Wise & Illustrious one

Why would you do a silly thing like that when your ID was near? Or was this 6 months ago?? You are an indian citizen..go to your embassy and fight..raise hell..get your passport back!! Once you become a U.S Citizen, go and through the indian passport on their face!

Great thought of throwing the passport on their face, but I'am sure he will need it to get the OCI...so hold on to your horses...hopefully where you live you have the Indian Embassy/Consulate, so you could walk in and demand your passport, after explaining your situation of course...I am sure the saintly Indian sitting there will be very kind to get up of his CHAIR and go get your passport, please carry some holy flowers(acquire it from nearest Hindu Temple), so after your passport is handed over to you, please make sure you offer the flower to his chair..as you are the Lucky one, because Babu really got up his *** and helped you.....Om namah shivay!!!!!

Finger Print Lost by USCIS

How that can happened? How do you know that your FP were losts? Thx.

Why on earth did you apply to renew her Indian passport when going through the naturalization process, given that an expired passport is acceptable for the interview, and the new Indian passport will immediately become useless once she is a US citizen?

LOST FP by USCIS

How that can happened? How do you know that your FP were losts? Thx.

Asim, you seem to be lost? he never said anything about his FP...he is talking about wife's(Indian) passport, he had sent in to renew.

No I was reading your timeline in which you mentioned that the FP were redone once your already did so by walk in. I am still lost or that explains my question. Thx

Asim, you seem to be lost? he never said anything about his FP...he is talking about wife's(Indian) passport, he had sent in to renew.

Resident Since Date: 12/12/04
DO: Washington D.C,
10/12/09 (Day 1): Mailed
10/13/09 (Day 2): Priority Date
10/19/09 (Day 7): Date of Notice of Action
10/24/09 (Day 12): Date of Fingerprint Letter
10/28/09 (Day 16): Fingerprinted Walk-in
11/05/09 (Day 24): FP Date(Original Date)
11/13/09 (Day 32): FP Redone(lost by USCIS)
11/18/09 (Day 38): Case transfered to local DO for an interview
11/23/09 (Day 43): Received IL
12/28/09 (Day 77): Interview Date
xx/xx/09 (Day ??): Oath

Renewal sent month ago

When I looked at the website the time mentioned 10 to 15 days, so sent the passport around mid Nov. Our Interview date is Jan 5th. I have all the pages of passport.

Why renew a passport that is going to be almost immediately invalidated as soon as it is issued?

That passport expiring mid Dec. So IO may question why I was carrying expired passport.

Does any one know, if I go to Indian embassy(DC, that's where I sent) do they give our old passport?

Just look at some reviews for DC consulate. Just walk in and demand back your passport.

It is with sadness and heavy heart that I write this review, I am so ashamed to even call this ur embassy, dear Dr. Manmohan Singhji, being one of the best prime ministers that india has had for many number of years have you taken notice of this?. Just call Indian embassy as a regular law-abiding citizen, you will be forced to bend down to touch these peoples feet before even they pick the phone up. And when they answer the phone there is no curteous hello from the other side, the first greeting you get is ''what the hell do you want?'', now is this the way to treat your own countrymen?? Looks like the division of embassy which serves Indian citizens living in USA are having torrid time in getting their work done, its like experiencing hell first hand. God forbid if I have to enlist their help in case of any emergency with me or my family members, I pray to god every-day that no citizen of any country be subjected to this kind of humiliation ...‎ More »
It is with sadness and heavy heart that I write this review, I am so ashamed to even call this ur embassy, dear Dr. Manmohan Singhji, being one of the best prime ministers that india has had for many number of years have you taken notice of this?. Just call Indian embassy as a regular law-abiding citizen, you will be forced to bend down to touch these peoples feet before even they pick the phone up. And when they answer the phone there is no curteous hello from the other side, the first greeting you get is ''what the hell do you want?'', now is this the way to treat your own countrymen?? Looks like the division of embassy which serves Indian citizens living in USA are having torrid time in getting their work done, its like experiencing hell first hand. God forbid if I have to enlist their help in case of any emergency with me or my family members, I pray to god every-day that no citizen of any country be subjected to this kind of humiliation by their own embassy people. If embassy people are looking at this review being a physician i will make sure I spread the word around about your horrible behaviour. I will make sure that whenever you people see an Indian Physician you people get the same courtesy from us which you show to us when dealing with us. There is no way Indians anywhere should be putting up with this kind of horrible non-sensical peice of shit!!!. « Hide
maps.google.com
3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
A very sad Indian‎
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 By Kaleem - Dec 3, 2009
It hurts to say, being a citizen of India myself, how bad a customer service I obtained from Consulate services in DC. First of all, you try to reach them over the phone, it close to impossible. 99% of the time call gets directed to the voicemail box, which is always full and hence can't leave any message. Then the remaining 1% chance you get the voicemail, but then you never hear back from any one. Fine then you go there in person, the people at the counter gives you this attitude and don't take time to explain your genuine the questions. IF they do, they do with so much of anger in their tone. Done know if they come to work empty stomach or they are force labors of Indian gov with no pay. Just a simple smile on their face would have been more than enough. Its a very piety state of affairs. I say this with a very heavy heart. But I remain an ardent and loyal child of Mother India.‎
maps.google.com
2 out of 2 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
indian embassy is agents of corporate...‎
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 By Niranjan - Nov 20, 2009
I thought that Thug Mr. Sen gone new Ms Shanker will improve general function of embassy, but it is even worst, this Indian Ambassador is just interested to promote a business interest than people of or culture of India. She brags everywhere about tech, but she herself does not have email ADDRESS not an embassy has any email communication, can you believe even most tech backward countries do USE with email, these Jerks still living in British slavery. They do not answer the phone AND make life miserable FOR any service seeker they throw you about place to place or discourage you to get any service. Forget Manmohan or Sonia Gandhi worry about these problem, they are living in their intoxication of imaginary of Economy BOOM!!!!!‎
maps.google.com
3 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
Bad...bad....real bad‎
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 By Kapsi - Nov 10, 2009
No one takes call - no way to leave a message. the office and people working there are worse than the babus in India. bunch of god damm idiots ...‎ More »
No one takes call - no way to leave a message. the office and people working there are worse than the babus in India. bunch of god damm idiots !! « Hide
maps.google.com
6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate
Bureaucracy at its worst.‎
Rated 1.0 out of 5.0 By Jack L. - Sep 30, 2008
If you're need of services from the Indian Embassy in Washington, I truly feel sorry for you. I can't even begin to describe how awful the embassy's customer service is. If you go there as a regular citizen in need of the embassy's services, ...

Why?

When I looked at the website the time mentioned 10 to 15 days, so sent the passport around mid Nov. Our Interview date is Jan 5th. I have all the pages of passport.

Hi! of course its hard to comprehend what you did, did you try to find out from any one before you did this? why would a American IO who is interviewing you for American Citizenship care for a valid passport of the country you are severing your ties with...he just wants to see your passport to check your arrival dates to confirm how long you have stayed out of country, secondly he can look at your unexpired Green card or DL to verify your identity.

anyways what is done is done, I am sure you will get your passport before your interview date, if not take all the paperwork and the copies of all the pages.

Good Luck!

That passport expiring mid Dec. So IO may question why I was carrying expired passport.
Nobody we know of ever had a problem in the interview because the passport was expired. As long as you show the passport when they ask for it, they don't care if it is expired. Green card holders are not required to have a valid passport.

Nobody we know of ever had a problem in the interview because the passport was expired. As long as you show the passport when they ask for it, they don't care if it is expired. Green card holders are not required to have a valid passport.

I didn't know that Green Card holders didn't need a valid passport... The probably reason why we haven't heard of anyone having problems with expired passports is that (almost, if not all) passports are valid for 6 months after the expiry date.

The reason to renew passports is that if any emergency travel comes up before the Oath date, you aren't running around trying to get a passport renewed (in addition to dealing with that emergency).

I guess the moral of the story is:
1. Do not apply for renewal once you're in the interview pipeline as in most cases the Oath will be within 90 days.
2. If you HAVE to send your passport in for renewal, get legible copies of all pages (and get them notarized for good measure) before sending it in for renewal.

I didn't know that Green Card holders didn't need a valid passport... The probably reason why we haven't heard of anyone having problems with expired passports is that (almost, if not all) passports are valid for 6 months after the expiry date.

The reason to renew passports is that if any emergency travel comes up before the Oath date, you aren't running around trying to get a passport renewed (in addition to dealing with that emergency).

I guess the moral of the story is:
1. Do not apply for renewal once you're in the interview pipeline as in most cases the Oath will be within 90 days.
2. If you HAVE to send your passport in for renewal, get legible copies of all pages (and get them notarized for good measure) before sending it in for renewal.

Right about emergency travel before the oath date, s/he can renew passports before the oath date but if they already took the oath date, Indian passport will be useless and invalid as Indian govt doesn't allow dual citizenship.

Ohemail, Expired passports are accepted at the interview. I don't know if photocopies of passports are accepted at the interview or not. If they are not accepted, your interview could be postponed.

Please advise !

A foreign passport is not a hard requirement for naturalization. Explain to the IO at interview that you have sent in your passport for renewal. I have yet to see a case where an IO has delayed processing for an application based on a applicant not having a foreign passport at interview.