Urgent! Entering w/ B1 visa for a job interview

suresh_colo

Registered Users (C)
Please help!

My brother was asked to fly to the US for a final job interview.
He will stay for 3 days only. He has a B1/B2 visa.
If he has a positive interview, the US employer will start his H1B processing.

The question is: what should he tell the immigration officer at the port of entry? Is it ok to say that the purpose of his visit is to interview for a job?

Does he need a letter from the potential U.S. employer saying that he is coming for the interview and will go back home 3 days later?

Please help!!

I advice you to tell your brother to have a letter from the potential employer explaining the reasons of his trip and of course to say the truth to the immigration officer. I am sure that in Foreign Immigration www.foreignimmigration.com are going to give you further information

suresh_colo said:
Please help!

The question is: what should he tell the immigration officer at the port of entry? Is it ok to say that the purpose of his visit is to interview for a job? YES

Does he need a letter from the potential U.S. employer saying that he is coming for the interview and will go back home 3 days later? YES

Do not give any papers until they ask for @ POE
Please help!!

Thanks guys!
But why are you so confident that it is ok to say that you're coming into the US on a B1 visa for a job interview?

What would your answer be to the quote below that I found under http://www.usabal.com/visas/B-1_overview.html ?

"The B-1 status may not be used as a means to accelerate a candidate's eligibility to enter the U.S. to work."

Can't the immigration officer at the port of entry say that if someone is coming in for an interview then he/she is trying to accelerate his/her eligibility to work in the U.S.?

Thanks.

suresh_colo said:
Thanks guys!
But why are you so confident that it is ok to say that you're coming into the US on a B1 visa for a job interview?

What would your answer be to the quote below that I found under http://www.usabal.com/visas/B-1_overview.html ?

"The B-1 status may not be used as a means to accelerate a candidate's eligibility to enter the U.S. to work."

First of all you are entering not to work. Your interview will not guarentee you to get you a job or H1 approval. You can even attend interview through video/phone. Still no guarentee

While giving F1, counsel check whether the student is going to return, but 99 % end up with attending interview getting H1 and never return to home country" Is it not true.

Can't the immigration officer at the port of entry say that if someone is coming in for an interview then he/she is trying to accelerate his/her eligibility to work in the U.S.?

Thanks.

travelling to US on B1 visa for a job interview

Hey,

Our situation is similar. We have Indian passports and are currently in Canada on a work permit. My husband has a valid US B1/B2 visa and a company in US has invited him for a job interview. Will he be allowed to enter US on a B1/B2 visa for giving a job interview? What should he tell US immigration officers about his purpose of visit?

Thanks

A job interview is a valid reason for a business or pleasure trip, especially for someone already in Canada. It is more likely than not that if a job is offered by a U.S. employer it would be as an H1-B and they are not available for a start date until Oct 1st and the petitions cannot be filed until April 1st. It would be a ridiculous proposition to think that someone already working in Canada would try to overstay in the U.S. to await an H1-B when it would probably be easier to do it in Canada anyway. Especially considering he is not alone in Canda and his family (at least a spouse) is still in Canda while he is interviewing.

How did it go with your brother?

Hi suresh_colo:
I am in a simalar situation. Did he eventually get B1/B2 visa to go to the US for job interview? Could you tell it worked out eventually for your brother?

Thanks
Please help!

The question is: what should he tell the immigration officer at the port of entry? Is it ok to say that the purpose of his visit is to interview for a job?

Does he need a letter from the potential U.S. employer saying that he is coming for the interview and will go back home 3 days later?

Please help!!

US B1/B2 visa for job interview

Hello rashmi21

I am in a similar situation. Did he your husband get B1/B2 visa to go to the US for job interview? Could you tell how it worked out eventually for him?

Thanks

Hey,

Our situation is similar. We have Indian passports and are currently in Canada on a work permit. My husband has a valid US B1/B2 visa and a company in US has invited him for a job interview. Will he be allowed to enter US on a B1/B2 visa for giving a job interview? What should he tell US immigration officers about his purpose of visit?

Thanks