Unristricted SSN ???

tiger22

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,
Finally, I recieved the supposely unrestricted SSN, but on the card it stated 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'.
Could anyone tell me is this the right one i should get?
Thanks

No

No, it shouldn't say that. Mine just states my name and social security number. go to the office again and tell them to correct it.

Ohio Asylee said:
No, it shouldn't say that. Mine just states my name and social security number. go to the office again and tell them to correct it.

Go back to the office and ask to speak with a manager.

in each locataion there is the SS office which is doing the Asylees and Refugees SSNs and they know what to do, I got mine the same way you have it, never had problem with that, as long as you have your I-94:O ( Do you have I-94) other wise it is better to rerequest the SSN, I think you have to reapply. Ask them,

Good luck

tiger22 said:
Hi guys,
Finally, I recieved the supposely unrestricted SSN, but on the card it stated 'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'.
Thanks

Unrestrected SS Card shall have only your name and SS#. So, just go back and fill application for a new card. Make sure to tell the clerk in charge or suppervisor about your PA status, but they should know by now (this is about 2-3 years in effect, asylees can get unrestrected SSC). Good luck.
:)

They do that all the time. Happened to me too. Go back and yell at the ignorant officer there. Ask them i need it immediately, and i can't wait any longer. Give me a proof that i have applied for SSN. They usually stamp on it or give some sort of proof that you would get an unrestricted SSN.
This is a law and it's your right. They are not doing any favour to you.

Letter

tiger22 said:
Hi guys,
Thanks

Do not forget to take your original letter granting you asylum to the SS office. They will photocopy it and u may want to draw their attention on the part of the letter that specifically says you are entitled to an unrestricted SS CARD.

Thanks

Thank you guys for the reply. It's been like a family here every time i read.
I brought my approval and everything with me when I applied, but the officer said that she didn't know anything about it and she have to file to related department. So the first card was lost on the way, that's the second card after i reapply!! I'll go and ask them again as you suggested, but I didn't see anything about unrestricted SSN on my approval letter. Where did they state?
Thanks again

tiger22 said:
Thank you guys for the reply. It's been like a family here every time i read.
I brought my approval and everything with me when I applied, but the officer said that she didn't know anything about it and she have to file to related department. So the first card was lost on the way, that's the second card after i reapply!! I'll go and ask them again as you suggested, but I didn't see anything about unrestricted SSN on my approval letter. Where did they state?
Thanks again

When did you receive your asylum approval?

Benefits

tiger22 said:
but I didn't see anything about unrestricted SSN on my approval letter. Where did they state?
Thanks again

If your asylum was granted by an IO/Immigration Officer look at the letter on page 2 under BENEFITS

1. Employment Authorization
2.Derivative Asylum Status
3.Social Security cards: You may immediately apply for an unrestricted social security card. To get an application....

Last edited by a moderator: