Unpaid Ticket and FBI Name Check

sbenni1

Registered Users (C)
I made a mistake many years ago which I regret now and would like to know what the implications might be. My question is rearding a traffic ticket I never paid for in another state which has resulted in the automatic suspension of my license in that state. It's been many years and I currently live in a different state with a different licence which I recently renewed without any problems. I am also assuming that such a violation may have resulted in the issuance of an arrest warrent on me in that state (although I'm not completely sure). Since I decided not to disclose traffic tickets on my N-400, I didn't mention this one either.

1- Do you think the FBI name check would catch this mess in their search?
2- Would it show that there is a warrant on me for an unpaid ticket if that's indeed the case?
3- Am I giving USCIS a reason to refuse my naturalization?

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

The obvious thing here to do is to talk to a lawyer. The can find out whether or not their is a warrant out for your arrest. Without a proper legal opinion I would suggest that applying for citizenship would put you at risk.

3 - Naturalization can be denied if the ticket is still unpaid.

The problem the OP has is not a unpaid ticket (You can get a traffic ticket
on yoru way to interview or oath but I doun't think that will cause any problem). The serious isse is that the OP ignore the ticket and that
make a small thing a serious matter, perhaps a FELONY. And apparently
the OP did that knowingly and willingly. He was perhaps under the misocnceptioon that if one never return a state, he could ignore the
ticket he received in that state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a mistake many years ago which I regret now and would like to know what the implications might be. My question is rearding a traffic ticket I never paid for in another state which has resulted in the automatic suspension of my license in that state. It's been many years and I currently live in a different state with a different licence which I recently renewed without any problems. I am also assuming that such a violation may have resulted in the issuance of an arrest warrent on me in that state (although I'm not completely sure). Since I decided not to disclose traffic tickets on my N-400, I didn't mention this one either.

Unless it was something serious, I don't think the FBI name check would catch it.
2- Would it show that there is a warrant on me for an unpaid ticket if that's indeed the case?
I doubt a bench warrant for an unpaid minor traffic would show up on in FBI database.
They would have reason to deny you for lack of moral character for having an unpaid traffic ticket and lying about it if they specifically asked you about it.
However, it's been shown over and over that USCIS isn't concerned about minor traffic tickets, so even if you disclose it on the application the IO might not ask details about it.

Since I decided not to disclose traffic tickets on my N-400, I didn't mention this one either.

I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

FBI Name Checks only catch instances of names that are involved in some way in an FBI Investigation, either directly (main file match) or indirectly (cross reference match - meaning you are mentioned in someone else's file). The Name Check doesn't deal with traffic infractions - those are dealt with at state level and it is possible that a check in the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) might show up the name if there is an arrest warrant out for you in some state. This is the database the State Troopers consult when they pull you up on the freeways.

So, in effect, the FBI NC wouldn't catch this but the Back Ground Check (which includes the Name Check) might catch if there is an entry in the NCIC or IBIS (Inter-Agency Border Inspection Service, which is what is checked at the Point of Entry).

AP

In most of states, one need to surrender his out of state DL in order to get a in-state DL. DL application usually ask for the status of your ot of state
DL. If it is suspecned, you have to disclose it.

When I surrendered my old licence to the new state many years ago, it went fine and when I renewed by new licence again very recently, it also went fine. My N-400 name check has been outstanding for some time now and I am worried they have found out about the suspension in the old state.

When I surrendered my old licence to the new state many years ago, it went fine and when I renewed by new licence again very recently, it also went fine. My N-400 name check has been outstanding for some time now and I am worried they have found out about the suspension in the old state.

Why don't you call the court in that old state? Maybe you can still pay the fine.

Why don't you call the court in that old state? Maybe you can still pay the fine.

In one of the threads in past somebody posted that person got traffic ticket in NJ while he had DL of MD and was visiting NJ. He/she got traffic ticket in NJ and the person wanted to pay the traffic ticket of NJ but municipal court informed the person that ticket is not in the system and cant take the fine. Person at that time posted that he/she has been calling the municipal court for 6-8 months and the court was informing him/her that ticket is not in the system and they cant take the fine. I don’t know what happened to that case or how the person resolved it. you can search for that post.

I am having an interview in few days, I forgot to mention on my N400 application that used to to have a warrant for an unpaid parking ticket . It was settled same year. Do I need to mention this during my interview even it's been paid? Thanks for your help.

I am having an interview in few weeks, I forgot to mention on my N400 application that used to to have a warrant for an unpaid parking ticket . It was settled same year. Do I need to mention this during my interview even it's been paid? Thanks for your help.

There's no harm mentioning ticket at interview and the fact it was paid. No need to go into details about warrant and all.

Today, October 19, 2010, I had an interview at 9:45AM as scheduled. IO had me swear in to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. He asked for my driver's license, green card and passport. He looked at my expired passport, I was out of the country for 10 mos. twelve years ago, it looked like it was not an issue this time. (Meanwhile this worries about abandoning my residency)
He asked all informations on my N400 application with name change, english test, civic and history tests. Everything went well. IO handed me the Form 652, Naturalization Interview Result: Congratulating me and was recommended for approval. He mentioned that the next Oath Taking will be on the 2nd week of November and just wait for the letter. Thanks to all, reading all your experiences helped me a lot, thanks to Rajiv s, Khanna for this forum that helps people with their immigration issues, thanks to Bobsymth, did not mention about my warrant for the parking ticket. Thank God, my long journey is almost over.