unemployment

Nickos81

I got married last November and am on a green card through my marriage. i recently lost my job. Will i be able to file for unemployment?

Thanks. This wont effect my status when i have to resubmit my greencard application after 2 years of marriage?

are you serious? I thought one can file unemployment only after citizenship.

The key is that you have to be able to be in the country and actively look for work. If you were on an H1 or some other work visa, then when the job ended you were supposed to leave the country and therefore you couldn't get unemployment.

But once you get your GC, you are now allowed to stay in the country and look for work - therefore you are potentially eligible for unemployment.

What about affidavit of support? Wouldn't the sponsor have to repay back all the unemployment benefits that immigrant had received?

What about affidavit of support? Wouldn't the sponsor have to repay back all the unemployment benefits that immigrant had received?

No, because UI is not a means-tested benefit. It's insurance, which the alien (or his/her employer) has contributed to.

When you file for unemployment, you will likely be referred to services through your state employment agency. Take advantage of it as when they provide job referrals, you will often receive a form to present to the interviewer. Many times employers in my area will only accept referred applicants (it depends on the job and company's policies).

Unemployment compensation requires a specific time interval for employment prior to the layoff. If you do not meet the required time, it will be denied but apply to have them do the evaluation. Be sure you understand and follow the directions for your job search so that you are not disqualified later.

Good luck in your job search!

If one had 2 jobs and got laid off on one, can they still apply for this benefit?

I doubt it else anybody can file it. Unemployment by definition means no jobs. In this case you have one job you lost part-time one or may be other way around.

if this is true then not many people would like to work.

I doubt it else anybody can file it. Unemployment by definition means no jobs. In this case you have one job you lost part-time one or may be other way around.

if this is true then not many people would like to work.

Yeah, makes sense.

However, I do believe if one has a full time job with a 40 hour work week, but due to the economic conditions of the country and hence the company, if one loses hours - say 10 hours, s/he could get a compensation for it as well. I dont know what category this falls under however. Hopefully I will not have any hours cut at my work place :)

However, I do believe if one has a full time job with a 40 hour work week, but due to the economic conditions of the country and hence the company, if one loses hours - say 10 hours, s/he could get a compensation for it as well. I dont know what category this falls under however. Hopefully I will not have any hours cut at my work place :)

That’s so not true.
My work place recently laid off 20% of it’s employees and cut off hours/pay for all remaining, me including.
The reason – trying to survive the economic crisis by trimming extra costs…
People, who got laid off, are on unemployment, but there is no economic relieve for the cut hours, other then feeling lucky to still have a job. :(:rolleyes:

well, if the cut in hours is drastic - you get the UI benefits. My friend's hours have been cut from 40 to 4(!) this summer, so he got UI benefits.

I was working only part time hours for the company, but the amount of work stops over winter. Can i still apply for unemployment? i was not on a contract.
Also this wont effect me status when i refile my greencard paper work after 2 years?
Thanks

I was working only part time hours for the company, but the amount of work stops over winter. Can i still apply for unemployment? i was not on a contract.

Your state Department of Labor will have far better answers to this than us.

Also this wont effect me status when i refile my greencard paper work after 2 years?

No. For the last time, UI does not affect immigration.