Two questions: passport renewal & when to apply for citizenship

immictz

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
Thank you to everyone who all contribute to these posts and make life easier for other. :)

I am getting ready to apply for citizenship...i hope to...

1st question:
The date on my GC is Sept 23, 2005. Can I send my application for citizenship now as of June 23, 2010.
I fall in the group where I had to complete 5 years.

2nd question:
My passport from my country of origin expired a year back. I did not renew it. Do I need a current passport for the citizenship process?

Please advice.
Thank you very much,

IC

Hello everyone,
Thank you to everyone who all contribute to these posts and make life easier for other. :)

I am getting ready to apply for citizenship...i hope to...

1st question:
The date on my GC is Sept 23, 2005. Can I send my application for citizenship now as of June 23, 2010.
I fall in the group where I had to complete 5 years.

2nd question:
My passport from my country of origin expired a year back. I did not renew it. Do I need a current passport for the citizenship process?

Please advice.
Thank you very much,

IC

Technically, you are eligible to apply this coming Friday (6/25). However, I (and just about everyone else on this forum) would recommend giving it another week, just so the USCIS doesn't make an error and return your application for applying too early. As the far as the passport is concerned, there is no requirement to have a valid passport to apply for naturalization. You don't need to renew it.

June 23 is 92 days before September 23, hence too early to apply. Wait until after June 25 to apply if you haven't broken continuous residency since obtaining your GC.
A valid passport from country of origin is not required for the naturalization process. Just bring the expired passport to interview.

Thank you very much.

As a family, husband & wife & kids , do we need to mail the applications separately in individual packets or can we put all the applications in the same mail packet?
We are planning to make separate checks for the fee for each applicant and will be attaching it to the each N-400 form.

Many many thanks

As the far as the passport is concerned, there is no requirement to have a valid passport to apply for naturalization. You don't need to renew it.
just a side note.
if its Indian passport, i would say just scan the site for any issues. Now they ask for Indian citizenship to be renounced. Not sure if there are any preconditions to that. will be good read though.

As indicated, for US citizenship you are good.

Thank you very much.

As a family, husband & wife & kids , do we need to mail the applications separately in individual packets or can we put all the applications in the same mail packet?
We are planning to make separate checks for the fee for each applicant and will be attaching it to the each N-400 form.

Many many thanks
You can send applications in the same mail packet and make separate checks. You wouldn't fill out an application for your kids if they are under 18.

One more important thing you need to consider...

Some district offices, it takes less than 3 months....so if you apply exactly before 90 days ( or a week later), you might have your interview before 5th yr anniversary.

Check the recent trackers like Feb/March/April to find out how your DO is doing and how long it takes to get to Interview stage and also check if you have same day oath.....

In case if you happen to get interview before 5th year anniversary, then you will get your OL later, it could take a week or 2 or 3 or even more.

Thank you very much. Bless you all for this.

I checked the Field office processing times in my region: as of April 30, 2010, the N-400 App for Naturalization date is Dec 01, 2009. So it means it is taking 6 months to process. I will wait a week or so anyway.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much. Bless you all for this.

I checked the Field office processing times in my region: as of April 30, 2010, the N-400 App for Naturalization date is Dec 01, 2009. So it means it is taking 6 months to process. I will wait a week or so anyway.

:)

BTW, what is your district office? Don't go by that processing time.....

Oklahoma City. I am not sure about DO. How do you determine it? I suppose it is the same city where you live. Am I correct?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oklahoma City. I am not sure about DO. How do you determine it? I suppose it is the same city where you live. Am I correct?
Thanks!

Oklahoma? Well, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 2 months for your N400 to be approved. It is a small processing center in comparison to let's say, NYC or CA. Also, if your kids are under 18 years of age, they don't need separate applications, list them under your N400 and if you are approved, they automatically became US citizens.

Best, wishes,