TSC/Memphis N-400 Timeline

Skorpie said:
Hello everyone,
My interview on June 14th went very well. I had pretty much the same experience as Highlander. I have a feeling that we had the same officer. He spent about 20 minutes going over my application confirming my answers and verifying the originals of submitted documents. The civics and English part took about 5 minutes. I've got standard questions from the 100 questions list. I did pass the exam and got a Congratulations! line marked on my form. I'm looking forward to receive the Oath letter. Will keep you all posted:)
Hey skorpie,
thanks for posting your experience, however, don't be stingy man lol :)
Would you please say what did the officer tell you at the end of the interview? is your name check done? When are u supposed to receive your oath letter? Any other details will be appreciated. Thanks again and good luck.
Oh, do you live in nasvhille?

Howdy,
Sorry, didn't mean to be stingy:) just wanted to let you know how my interview went, didn't have much time for the details.
I was told that I passed the exam and that my case is recommended for the approval. I assume that the background check is completed.
I do live in East TN. There will be a ceremony in Knoxville at the end of August. I hope to participate in it:)
My advice: 1) bring all the documents you can, 2) dress nicely (I don't mean overdress, but professional look will do just fine).

Skorpie said:
My advice: 1) bring all the documents you can, 2) dress nicely (I don't mean overdress, but professional look will do just fine).

for men, do you think they should wear suit?

ocworker said:
for men, do you think they should wear suit?

It is not a MUST to wear a suit. Proper business attire would do...and ofcourse you can always wear a suit if you want to...

fitness99 said:
It is not a MUST to wear a suit. Proper business attire would do...and ofcourse you can always wear a suit if you want to...

thanks. i will just wear the normal business type of cloth to my interview.

The reason I've mentioned clothes is because most of the fellow immigrants I observed at the INS office that day were dressed poorly. By that I mean jeans, shorts and t-shirts. I don't think that was appropriate. You should look your best at the interview. Business suit is not required, but at least you should wear a nice clean shirt and slacks or something like that.

Skorpie said:
The reason I've mentioned clothes is because most of the fellow immigrants I observed at the INS office that day were dressed poorly. By that I mean jeans, shorts and t-shirts. I don't think that was appropriate. You should look your best at the interview. Business suit is not required, but at least you should wear a nice clean shirt and slacks or something like that.

I always suggest others. if you treat the event which is important to you, you should wear approriately.

yep. i agree with you correct. a clean shirt and slacks / pants would be nice already.

Receiving Oath Ceremonies for TSC/Memphis

We are receiving oath ceremonies for the next naturalization ceremony to take place on July 3rd in the Memphis area. The event will include fireworks! It will be a nice ceremony I am sure.

highlander said:
We are receiving oath ceremonies for the next naturalization ceremony to take place on July 3rd in the Memphis area. The event will include fireworks! It will be a nice ceremony I am sure.
Highlander,Congratulations, but honestly i am a bit confused.
Do you mean that You have recieved an oath ceremony letter? if yes, when did you get it? and what were you told at the end of you interview? please share some details about the location and the time of the oath too please
thank you

sony55 said:
Highlander,Congratulations, but honestly i am a bit confused.
Do you mean that You have recieved an oath ceremony letter? if yes, when did you get it? and what were you told at the end of you interview? please share some details about the location and the time of the oath too please
thank you

Yes, I have received an oath ceremony letter. At the end of the interview the officer said "i was going to be recommended for approval" and gave me a form with the congratulations you passed the interview box checked.

End of story.

highlander said:
My friend is still waiting for the letter. Informally, we called the US District Court for the Memphis area and they told us that the next ceremony is on May 4th. USCIS usually sends the Oath letter about 3 to 4 weeks before the ceremony (this is a generalization) and therefore, she should receive it in the next few weeks. THe interview was the same, 10 minutes, fast, no issues. I don't know what her interview letter says. I am not so close to her as to ask her. Sorry!

My timeline:
PD: 1/24/05
NOA: 1/26/05
FP: 4/5/05
Interview: ??
Oath: ??
highlander,
What happened to your friend? Did she get her oath yet?
Congratulations again. I am amazed that you got your citizenship in 5 months only in through Memphis DO!!

sony55 said:
highlander,
What happened to your friend? Did she get her oath yet?
Congratulations again. I am amazed that you got your citizenship in 5 months only in through Memphis DO!!

Yes, My two other friends also got the letter. They both applied around June 2004 so it has been 12 months for them. For me, just 5 and a half.

Congratulations!

highlander said:
Yes, My two other friends also got the letter. They both applied around June 2004 so it has been 12 months for them. For me, just 5 and a half.

Congratulations, Highlander!!! Well done. Enjoy the ceremony!

districts

Hi guys,
Question 4 u: do you think that applicants are invited to attend the oath ceremony at the districts of their residence only? I mean, I was told that the soonest oath ceremony is scheduled for August, and here is Highlander getting a letter for July? Maybe officer meant the oath ceremony in my area? I'm in no hurry to get a US passport, just curious. Could a person from east TN go to Memphis or Nashville?
Thanks for comments.

Skorpie said:
Hi guys,
Question 4 u: do you think that applicants are invited to attend the oath ceremony at the districts of their residence only? I mean, I was told that the soonest oath ceremony is scheduled for August, and here is Highlander getting a letter for July? Maybe officer meant the oath ceremony in my area? I'm in no hurry to get a US passport, just curious. Could a person from east TN go to Memphis or Nashville?
Thanks for comments.
Skorpie,
it seems like every applicant goes to the ceremony at his/her district only. I know in nashville there is 3 ceremonies each month. In memphis, however, it seems like they have a ceremony every two months or so. I live in nashville and have not be invited to the ceremony in Memphis.
On the other hand, i remember Amishah, who lived in Arkansas and had to come all the way to Nashville to attend the ceremony! It's confusing sometimes, but i believe that %90 the USCIS is consistent with differenct district for different areas.

Officially a US Citizen now.

N-400 Timeline for Memphis DO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case type: N-400, Memphis District Office. Filed at Texas Service Center.

Priority Date: January 24, 2005
Notice of Action (I-797): February 5, 2005 (received at home)
Fingerprint Notification Received: March 10, 2005
Fingerprint Appointment: April 5, 2005
Interview Appointment: June 10, 2005
Oath Ceremony: Sunday July 3, 2005

The ceremony was nice, they had a live band and the judge highlighted the importance of citizenship. The whole process was 5 months and a week. Very fast.

atrium said:
Received fingerprint notification today ( more than 8 months and after contacting congressman's office !! )

N-400 with TCS.
Local office is Memphis.

priority date: 08/27/2003
FP notification : 05/20/2004
FP : 06/09/2004

Interview : ?
Oath : ??
Long way to go ....... :(
so what happened to your case atrium?

Hello,

Here is the best that I can remember of my timeline (based on memory :rolleyes: ), sent to TSC

N400 sent mailed 1st week Dec. 2005
FP 1st week January 2006 (Nashville)
Interview March 17 (Memphis)
Oath: REQUESTED FOR AUGUST AS I WILL BE GOING ON A LOOONG VACATION after attending to some family issues....

NB: Interviewer noted request and placed a note on file. Also, I mailed a follow-up letter with the same request reiterating that the month was ageed upon by the interviewer. Now, if they actually follow thru, will be a another story...

Hope it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
My Memphis DO Timeline and Other Impressions

Hello all. A couple of days ago I became a US citizen. I live in rural Northeast Tennessee, a place with very, very few immigrants. Memphis was the DO that handled my application. Even though it is located over 8 hours drive from where I am located, it is still the closest DO, apparently. We are literally in the middle of nowhere, here in rural Tennessee.

By way of thanks to this forum for the advice and support it has afforded me in the past year, I would like to post my personal timeline and impressions of the citizenship process.

First of all, my personal timeline (in green color). Personally, I took my time during the process, and was not in a hurry, but I know this is not necessarily shared by plenty of folks here, so I have tried to be as detailed as possible in my timeline. Also, keep in mind that I am, in addition to US citizen, a European Union citizen (thus not from a predominantly Muslim country, etc), and married to an American, so my timeline may or may not reflect this. In any case, here goes:

05/18/07 Application Sent
05/23/07 Application Received by USCIS
05/23/07 Check cashed by USCIS
05/30/07 Receipt with Exception [Form I-797] issued
06/01/07 Receipt with Exception [Form I-797] sent
06/02/07 Receipt with Exception [Form I-797] received
05/30/07 Fingerprint Notification [Form I-797] issued
06/04/07 Fingerprint Notification [Form I-797] sent
06/06/07 Fingerprint Notification [Form I-797] received
06/21/07 Attended Fingerprint Appointment (Charlotte, NC)
12/19/07 Interview Appointment Request [Form I-797C] issued
12/22/07 Interview Appointment Request [Form I-797C] sent
12/23/07 Interview Appointment Request [Form I-797C] received
03/11/08 Attended Interview (Memphis, TN)
03/11/08 Naturalization Interview Results [Form N-652] issued
04/15/08 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony [Form N-445] issued
04/17/08 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony [Form N-445] sent
04/19/08 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony [Form N-445] received
05/15/08 Naturalization Oath Ceremony attended [Greeneville, TN]
05/15/08 Certificate of Naturalization issued

364 days total

I also wanted to share some impressions and perhaps give some (limited and certainly not expert) advise to other folks who may be going through the naturalization process:

First, my impressions of the USCIS have been very positive. Since I initiated my naturalization process, a year ago, I came in contact with USCIS employees 3 times. Once at the fingerprinting appointment, once at the interview, and once at the oath ceremony. Each and every time I was treated professionally. This has not been the case in my dealings with US Embassy officials abroad, but this is quite another story.

Second, I would advise people here not to worry or panic. My impression is that the overwhelming (if not the vast) majority of people who apply for US citizenship on legitimate grounds end up receiving it. If you have no criminal background and are otherwise eligible for citizenship, per the country's laws, you will receive it. I personally never panicked, never called the USCIS inquiring about my case, never went beserck when I did not receive a letter or an invitation "on time", etc. I just did what I was supposed to do, paid my fee, and waited. Eventually it all came together. As is says above, it took me 364 days to become a citizen. This is longer than some folks, shorter than others. But I understand that it is well within the standard timeframe of 8 to 14 months, under which over 60% of applicants fall.

Third, I would advise folks to READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS ON USCIS FORMS carefully, and to use the USCIS website. Almost all the answers are there. I was amazed, at the oath ceremony, to see how many people there had not read the instructions on their forms. It was beyond belief. There were some people there who thought that they can travel with a US naturalization certificate! I would venture to say that 20% of all the workhours the USCIS spends is used advising people who have not done their homework and have not read instructions in a careful and responsible manner.

Fourth, my impression is that, once you pass the interview, you have nothing to worry about. There is no need to be nervous before, or during the Oath ceremony. The USCIS people at the ceremony treat you with respect and are there to help you. There were cases of people there who had major traffic violations since their last interview, had changed their mind at the last minute about changing or not changing their name, and even people who had forgotten to bring their green cards along. The USCIS people patiently helped each and every one of them, and I think that in all cases they managed to get them to be naturalized on that very same day. This, of course, meant that the rest of us, who were in line, had to wait extra long, until these cases were sorted, but what can you do? Keep in mind that my oath ceremony was in a little town in Northeast Tennessee, where it is so rare that it was a community event, and even made the local paper (although there were 200 participants). These impressions may not apply to large metropolitan centers.

In short, I want to tell people that I believe that, as long as they do their homework in a conscientious and responsible manner, they will be rewarded with citizenship.

I will probably not be checking this forum very often. But if any of you wish to contact me with questions about my personal experience with the Memphis DO, or the interview, or the oath ceremony, please feel free to contact me at: purges "at" gmail dot com .

Best regards and good luck to everyone.

Hi Everyone,

I live in East Tennessee (just outside of Knoxville). I am going for my naturalization test at the beginning of March in Memphis, and did my fingerprints in Nashville in the fall. Has anyone else from this area (Knoxville) done the same thing, and if so, where did you take your oath? I've read that some centers do the interviews and the oaths on the same day, and I'm wondering if that's the case here. My family would like to be with me for the Oath Ceremony, but if it's not going to be the same day (or even same place), then I won't pull the kids out of school or have hubby take time off work.

Thanks for any comments - I'm really looking forward to *finally* becoming a citizen!